Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Bombproof Member

Is Medicated Goat Feed Necessary?

When I was at the mill inquiring as to their varieties of Goat Feed, the owner said I should have my goats on Medicated Feed to ward off coccidia and some other things that goats are prone to.

Is this necessary?

Also, I sometimes swap goats and horses in the same stall. If there is any goat feed left in there, will it pose a problem with the horses?

I know that they absolutely should not get near the goat block, right?

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Bombproof Member

It wouldn't hurt to feed them medicated feed, it will cost a bit more but if I remember correctly your one goat is just a baby, first winter and all. Be sure to feed what the bag says, don't overdose them! Also be sure that your horses don't get near the stuff, nothing good will come of that.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Kid Safe

I don't. Only because I feel that the virusses may build an immunity to that medicine. Then, when I need to give it, it might not work.

As long as you are paying attention to them, watching for illness signs, worming regularly, making sure that they have a balanced diet and forage, and using proper cleaning of the stall (all of which I know that you do) I can't see a need to put them on it.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Weanling Member

I am with muttduck on this one. As a nurse I hate to give that kind of stuff just in case--creating stronger bacteria and viruses is a real concern. I thing it is better to just give regular goat feed. We are actually giving all stock but our goats have plenty of a variety of forage and we been having triplets here from our nubians. Our goats are really healthy and we do give shots and worm on a regular basis.
Knock wood we have never lost a goat yet.
Worms are really bad in this area......southwest tn..
MTM Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Bombproof Member

Thanks to you all. That is what I was thinking, why give it if they're not sick? And I don't like the thought of it laying around. At least I know I can get it if they need it. They were just wormed and I plan on putting them on a monthly schedule for that. So recommends the bag anyway.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Kid Safe

Goats

I have never given my goats medicated feed. They get horse feed! And, as pretty much anyone who's seen them can attest, they are fat and sassy. I've never, knock on wood, had a problem with coccidosis here, either. I vaccinate, worm on a 6 week rotation, and feed horse feed. Even the cow gets unmedicated feed. Do you know how hard it is to find unmedicated calf feed?

If you do feed any type of grain with medication in it...do NOT let your horses get into it.

As far as the salt block, I've always given mine the same TM block I give the horses. Once, I gave them one of the Sweetlix blocks with 18% protein in it. At the time, I had a colt pastured with them. I had the block in what I THOUGHT was a place the colt couldn't get to it. I swear that colt was on his knees with his head and neck all contorted to get to that block! I only discovered it after he got the serious runs and I could smell the ingredients of the block....

Don't worry, your goats are doing fine! Just make sure you vaccinate the little one.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Yearling Member

If I remember correctly coccidia are a protozoal parasite. If your goats are having trouble with them they will be unthrifty and have diarrhea. I don't think that most wormers will affect them. If you are worried about coccidia you can have your vet check a fecal specimen. I'm very leery of the medications for coccidia as they can be quite bad for horses. Some calf feed I bought even had a warning about it being fatal to equines. If I think I have a coccidia problem I'm more likely to go for an individual treatment, that way I'm sure the right critter gets whats needed and the wrong criitter doesn't get something dangerous.
Like others have said if it's not broke, don't fix it.
pennyrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal