Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Weanling Member

Tell me about your goats...

Hubby and I have an opportunity to adopt a few pygmy goats from a lady who has to move and can't take them along.

We have been talking about goats since we moved on our own property (a few years). I used to help take care of a herd of show Boer goats; it was a lot of fun, but it was a while ago and they were not mine.

What are your favorite/least favorite things about your goats? Any tips, tools, tricks that we should know?

What are your favorite breeds, for what reasons?

Funny goat quirks?
muh141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Weanling Member

I have never owned goats personally but one of my coworkers does and talkes about them all the time She does not like the boys because they pee on there beards, and but you when they are grow up. She really likes the girls thought, and said that they dont stenk. she said that no matter how good your finching is they WILL get out lol. Breed wise I like the Anglo Nubiann for the looks and for the fun of it I want fainting goats lol
Midevalmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
Yearling Member

I have french alpines. Neutered males don't stink. But only if they're done young enough.
I adore my babies and they're spoiled rotten.
Bottle fed babies are amazing to own, or at least imprinted at birth. They will climb on anything and everything!
Bolbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
Halter broke

I meant to reply sooner, but had computer issues. I also like French Alpines, raised them for over 10 years while my children were growing. My daughter now has Nigerian Dwarfs and loves them. I would suggest first you decide if you want milking goats, meat goats, multi purpose, or just pets. Though I've been with, and without, goats since my children grew up(depending on milk prices and time available) I always go back to milk goats. I currently have a Alpine I'm milking. and her 2 doe kids(sired by a mini La Mancha). None have horns, you might be surprised how much damage even a mini can do with horns, even without horns those heads are hard.
whathaveidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #5
Weanling Member

The pygmy goats will be pets. But milk goats sound like fun. Do you homogenize or pasteurize your milk?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Newborn Member

I have a friend who had goats and he wasn't happy. He complained that he was always chasing them off the roofs of his vehicles.
drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
Weanling Member

Yikes drake! I hope i dont have that problem!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Halter broke

Goat milk is naturally homogenized, but I never pasteurized it. But then I was raised on a dairy farm and we always drank unpasteurized milk with no health problems. Too many people have a problem with the taste of goat milk, but then most people don't care for it right, then it picks up odors which affect the taste.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Halter broke

We got 5 mixed breed meat goats, 4 nannies and one billy. One of the nanny goats had 3 little ladies. All survived and nursing/eating feed. Our problems are one in particular keeps escaping no matter how well we pen them in. And yes they will jump and rest on cars especially the roofs.

The youngest goats are a hoot to watch running around and trying to play with my young girls.
runfoolcoyote86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
Yearling Member

I have 5 goats. All wethers. All pets.
2 pygmies, both over a year but under 2yrs. Wesley and Wendall.
2 myotonic fainting goats, both 4mths old (just got them about a month ago) Parker and Spencer.
And one Nubian. He's 3mths old now, Wyatt.

The Nubian is a ninja goat. That kid can jump anything!he will jump and wall. To contain him at night he has to go in a 4 walled room.
I love his ears. I love how big he is. He is so playful too.

The pygmies...my first. 2 boys...I love them. I find the, very much sucks. Love to cuddle with me. Will stand beside me while I sit in our rock. Wendall likes to play with my clothes and eat my hair.
They are also good jumpers. I find they are the trouble causers. Wendall opens doors. They open the feed bins. They jump on my tack. They're just baaaaaaad boys. And I wouldnt have them any other way. They keep me in my toes.

My fainters...I think they're my Favorite. They also like to cuddle with me. They like their kisses from me. They'll stay short but get very muscular. I love me some chunk! They don't jump well. They don't open doors. They're very good boys. But I HATE when they faint. they've gotten better. For awhile I only had Parker with all the others and he tried so hard to keep up with the other goats. And by doing so it caused him to faint...a lot. And hard. He'd be in mid run and his muscles would freeze which would make him fall and skid.
He would try and jump a fence and flip and fall. It was horrible! But i found since I got his brother and brought him home, they both hardly faint now. Which pleases me.

My goats are free roaming. No fences for them. They stay on the property.
My husband said I could have 1 more and I've decided I'll get another fainting goat.
Though I love all 5 of my boys equally....my Favorite breed is the fainting goats.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Weanling Member

GodsGifts and runfool...your houses sound like fun with all of those goats!

We go to pick ours up tomorrow! I am so excited!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #12
Weanling Member

They do not have names yet. The black one is a wether and the white one is a doe. Any name suggestions?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
Halter broke

How about Mabel and Marvin?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
Weanling Member

Gege, and George
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Started

Ok, you asked for it!

Here are some pictures of our goats..as some of you know, we got 5 pregnant mama goats in a partial trade for one of our horses, Dancer.

Three months later they gave us 11 babies, quads, triplets, twins and singles. This summer they gave us 8 babies, 4 boys and 4 girls. We bought our own young buck named Alpha and he was terribly afraid of them at first and would run and hide from them, but i guess he got over his fear.

We still have 4 young does and a wether from the first kid crop and the girls will be kidding in about 4 months. Buddy and Tinkerbelle are the two we bottlefed and they are still as clingly as ever and still my favorites. They are huge and still love to climb up in my lap.

here are the pics...first pic is Oreo, the first baby born this summer to our new buck, Alpha

selfie with Oreo

second set born..twins, Bubba an Sissie

twins Dottie and Goober

Goober again

Dottie again...see her dot?

Buddy as a baby

Tinkerbelle as a baby

Buddy with Joshs kids

Alpha our buck

this years babies

Tinkerbelle helping daddy fix his truck

Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
Started

forgot these Christmas pics

Christmas tree of goats ..or goatie storytime!

Tink and Buddy

Old 08-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #17
Weanling Member

I LOVE THEM!!!! They are all so cute!!! I realy like Goobers name lol
Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
Weanling Member

gailfinney, oh they are so adoarble! I love their floppy ears!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathaveidone View Post
Goat milk is naturally homogenized, but I never pasteurized it. But then I was raised on a dairy farm and we always drank unpasteurized milk with no health problems. Too many people have a problem with the taste of goat milk, but then most people don't care for it right, then it picks up odors which affect the taste.

I heard about how good Nigerian Dwarf milk is ...so before I bought.. I found a lady who was milking hers. I was expecting a "goatie tang" but nope... delicious. Tasted just like cow's milk. The two I bought produced twins and I'm now milking the one who 's babies have a new home...with a little goat milking machine. They're adorable..they have free run of our place and so far haven't gotten in any trouble... Our buck Tommy2Guns.. is a love...no butting and probably the most non-stinky buck ever.

I was told that if you leave the buck with the does the milk will taste "off". I just couldn't lock Tommy up ..and so far...the milk is wonderful. Of course the first time we (it took both of us) attempted to milk Jewel... she thought we were perverted lunatics. She's had a change of heart... mini frosted shredded wheat saved the day.

My "girls" are smaller than my hound!
kipissippi is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal