Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Equine Humor
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Newborn Member

Okay, is this a joke?

I was told today that some people (even men) wear pantyhose when they ride. They said it is so they don't get chaffed. Is this true?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Long Yearling

Well, I wear it under my show cloths to avoid the dreaded panty lines and helps keep your legs warm on cold show days, but I don't have any idea about the chaffing thing.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:24 AM   #3
Kid Safe

If it worked, I wouldn't doudt that even men would wear them. I never have any problems with chaffing, though, nor has anyone on here complained of it.

If chaffing were a big problem, I would imagine some enterprising company would make a masculine product that works the same, but has appropriate clearances and openings for male plumbing, and a marketing name that does not in any way imply pantyhose!

Personally, I'd be inlcined to think someone is pullng your leg, or L'egg, as the case may be

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #4
Newborn Member

tealesean, you are to funny. i have been told this by many people and not all at once. i thought the same thing..............how do they pee, but was told they do..............haha
Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
Kid Safe

Peeing wouldn't be my big issue, but I think I'd experience a cetain claustrophic sensation down there.

Like I said, if it worked, there would be folks using them. I would imagine that a better-fitting saddle or pants would be easier, though.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to mellowdane
Ok.. this thread needs to stop!! I am laughing so hard my eyes are watering. The mental images that are building up are just too hysterical for words! Trying to masculinate (is that even a word?) pantyhose is a very delicate procedure I can imagine. So far my personal image isnt pretty.. not pretty at all.. !!!
M

Has is occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about? - Spock
mellowdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
Started

I've heard of it... and I've seen guys who jump do it. Of course they go a few sizes bigger.. but the way the pantyhose stretch and stick to you like skin, I guess, keeps everything where it should be and prevents chaffing by the breeches. A friend of mine would sprinkle baby powder into his white show breeches to prevent "chaffing, itching, and any other show ring irritent". I have heard the pantyhose thing called "the tighty-wighty effect". Kinda like us girls and the "uniboob" from sports bras.

I have not seen them wear it during lessons or just putzing around the barn, the guys I knew kept them secretly for showing only.

Not to sound..um.. like a perve.. or anything... but if you compare the "bulge" from say, a bycicle rider and a professional or high leval male horse rider, it's different. The rider looks more "contained", while the cyclist, or gymnist, looks more, well, "free". I say this in all seriousness!! So they have to be wearing something under there... who knows.. it might be pantyhose!!

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Seasoned

I've never heard this one, but I must say, I find it rather interesting. Mr. T & Mandelyn, you 2 made my morning. I'm laughing so much, my cheeks are starting to hurt!
thumpersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
Kid Safe

keep in mind, alot of bicyclists wear a "cup" (bicycles have that frame bar right there to fall on), while I don't think they would be very practical in the saddle. Athletic supporters then to hold everything in just the right place to get seriously squished!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #10
Weanling Member

Ah yes the pantyhose...

I know a lot of men who ride endurance where pantyhose, under their jeans or breeches... heck most women end up doing it too. After a couple of 50 mile rides and endless chaffed thighs, you opt for silly and comfortable. Many newbies to Endurance riding make fun but most end up in pantyhose eventually.

the pantyhose are like second skin, so they act as a barrier between your fragile skin and your jeans/breeches
NachtJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpersgirl
I've never heard this one, but I must say, I find it rather interesting. Mr. T & Mandelyn, you 2 made my morning. I'm laughing so much, my cheeks are starting to hurt!
Me too!
lonearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #12
Bombproof Member

Hmmm, one more thing I could buy for the men on my Christmas list....heehee!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Yearling Member

Check this out:

http://www.saddlebums.com/sadbumshor.html

Original Cowboy Underwear -- well, not sure about that, but they look ****ed attractive to this girl ... like the picture of the hunk casually hanging out with his horse in his undies and his hat ...

I'm clearly not frequenting the right stables ...
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #14
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
It is not only in horse events that I know of Men wearing pantyhose, I know many collegiate football players who did, mostly for the warmth!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
Pasture Pet

Scuba divers too[warmth and it helps the wetsuit slide on]
Thing is that people who show or ride endurance are in those clothes for a long time
Guys who ride for a hour or two probably have no need of it
I use panty hose under my breeches to aid me getting into the durn things
My Hubby would rahter die or chafe down to raw meat before he would wear them-even if they make sense.. He would say it just ain't fitting.
The other question? They would pull them down just like everyone else..
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
Pasture Pet

My hubby wore the tightie-whities and would chafe in the summer. A few years ago I suggested the knit boxers. Not the loose cotton or silk ones but the ones that fit more like that add (which IS a very nice ad by the by ) He went through countless bottles of talc and medicated powders and complaining until he finally 'broke down' and bought a couple pair and now that's all he wears. He didn't want to be 'less manly' or some such notion. Heck I can't say those regular briefs are attractive but those boxers, well... now there is just something that looks GOOD ... Ahem... anyway, the longer leg helped with his chafing. Maybe its a solution for the 'not quite ready for pantyhose' men?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:59 PM   #17
Kid Safe

Gimme a break here - do you really think John Wayne would have worn panty hose to stop chafing?

Maybe that's why all those old cowboys walk bowlegged - to keep from rubbing their chafed thighs together...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #18
Newborn Member

Thank to all who replied! I was told that a lot of GUY'S wear them here in the "WEST COAST" but they don't tell anyone.........haha I know they are warm so I am going to try it. Even my ferrier said they do. Hope everyone learned something new here, cause I know I have. Again, Thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:01 PM   #19
Bombproof Member

Hey, I'll take that cowboy for $49!!!!
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
Kid Safe

hmmm....speaking of chaffing, I wonder what the Celts did about it?

They rode in Kilts, no underwear, no saddles......

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Equine Humor