Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Equine Humor
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Weanling Member

So my horse has started doing something funny

When I drop my stirrups at the end of a ride he nickers at me! I'm pretty sure this means "Thanks for the awesome ride!" but someone suggested the other day it probably means "Thank goodness that's over!" Does anyone else's horse do that?
rudy_begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Weanling Member

We had a mare once that would always whinny in the trailer when we made the turn onto our road, she must have known we were almost home.

I don't think I have ever had a horse that would nicker to me when I was riding it.
Bonny41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Bombproof Member

Reggie doesn't do exactly that, but he does manage to crack me up to the point that sometimes I can't quite control myself. That boy has so much personality - in a good way! He's still just amazing under saddle and works so hard to please when you're asking him to do something.

However ... three years ago I tore my calf muscle while dismounting. Ever since then, I have chosen to dismount at mounting blocks whenever they are available. I know that won't work out on trail, but I figure I'm minimizing my overall risk by taking the easy route when it's presented.

Well so here Reggie is, Mr. Smartypants. Once we are done and I aim him in the general direction of that mounting block, boy he steams right up to it and plants himself I swear 90% of the time he plants himself just absolutely perfect.

But if I don't get off immediately ... that booger will start wiggling around. "Is it here?" "How about now?" "This?" Whatcha waiting for?" And he'll even start pawing the block, or back up and plow right into it knocking it around.

Brat. Funny brat.

(And yes, I am aware that if it weren't for my physical ailment or concern, that i would normally be in the habit of dismounting in different places, always changing it up, so the horse doesn't get married to the idea of "oh we go here and we're done." But such is life, so I let his antics amuse me ... I guess because at the bottom of it all it's still because he's trying to please, even tho he's also saying "get off now!")
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Newborn Member

My horse does that every time I dismount. I thought at first he was groaning until someone pointed out it sounds like a nicker.
3DonksSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Bombproof Member

When trailering, my mare would start head bobbing quite vigorously about a half mile before the turn to our road. Once on that road she'd settle down.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #6
Pasture Pet

Generally I like my work, I've studied long and hard over many years. And I still like leaving at the end of the day to go back to my apartment and I absolutely LOVE it when I get to go home for the weekend. But while I'm at work, I smile and do the best I can. Why wouldn't it be the same for horses?

On the other hand, as far as "dismounting issues go", that's not a bad one.

But as I think of it further, perhaps when you have your feet in the stirrups the stirrup leathers turn in such a way as to be irritating? Usually when you take your feet out of the stirrups the leathers realign. I'd look into that.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Yearling Member

My horse used to nicker when I dismounted but hasn't been doing it lately.
mathteacher678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Long Yearling

I had a mare that back in the day when horses were hauled in stock racks would neigh at every herd of cows as we drove by them! She loved cows! she even adopted a heifer bottle calf one year and would follow her aound the pasture for years wondering why the heifer was ignoring her. LOL
Chrystalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Weanling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to txcountrygirl
I had a gelding that i use to ride through town and whenever we would ride through downtown with all the windows he would see his reflection and neigh.. 2 city blocks and neighing gets kinda bouncy.

Proudly owned by
Whiskey; Coming 2 Welsh Mare
Kip; 8 Year old QH Mare
txcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Equine Humor