Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Started

Unhappy Hip Dysplasia

My vet thinks my GSD has Hip Dysplasia(sp?).

I took her in to the vet clinic this morning to be spayed (all went well), when I came back to pick her up this evening the vet told me that when he put her under he went to stretch out her back legs but he couldn't even stretch out the left one. This was while she was totally knocked out! She isn't even 2 years old yet!! I am horrified that I did not notice it! I feel like such a bad doggy owner right now...

I never saw both of her parents(she was kind of a registered rescue). So I am thinking one of her parents had HD.

So I am wondering if any of you know of anything I could do to prevent it from getting worse... we are most likely going to x-ray her hips to see what's going on in the next week or so... it depends when my vet will be able to.

Thank you!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Pasture Pet

Not every vet knows about these pills but they're called Seletec tabs and they are selenium and vitamin E. We found out about them from the UofM vet clinic in the '70s when my 10 yr old GSD was really having a terrible time getting around. It got so bad she could hardly get herself up and all we had for her was doggie aspirin prescribed by our local vet. But after just a few days on this stuff it was like night and day!

But that was before glucosamine and condroitin. I hear good things about that stuff but the dog has to be on it for several weeks and stay on it for it to take effect.

You aren't a skilled chiropractor, orthopedist or veterinarian are you? Then you don't have to feel bad that you didn't diagnose this yourself.

I've been told that the pain medicine Rimadyl is fine taken long term and I've been told that it is tough on a dog's system

And of course keeping the dog's weight down is very important. And although I have no evidence of this whatsoever I know that my bursitis gets worse when I don't drink enough water.

Good luck to you and your puppy dog!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Bombproof Member

I have my aussies on Glucosomine and Chondrontin (OTC). They are doing great on it.

Good luck.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Started

Thanks! I am going to ask my vet about that stuff! He probably knows about though, it was just very busy at the moment because a dog came into the clinic for emergency surgery (hit by a car).
Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Weanling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dustygirl
I've had Great Danes for years and they are notorious for HD. Luckily, I've only had 2 that have had troubles with HD (they were both rescues, so no bloodline history or prior testing done) and let me tell you....Glucosomine and Chondrontin WORKS!! I thought that (as with a lot of OTC meds for pets) that it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but I'm so glad I tried it. Took a few days to see any results though, but that was much better than the alternative! Good luck with your girl and keep us posted on how she's doing. My female that I have now has HD and I agree with version...keep a close eye on her weight especially since she's been spayed now...she's gonna want to plump up and that's the worst thing for her hips.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Pasture Pet

So do you folks use doggie Glu/Condroit? Or people stuff? And how much?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Started

Definitely keep her weight under control, in fact I'd keep her on the lean side. This will add years to her life.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
HD can show up even if you have two parents that are OFA'd excellent. There really is no way to tell just by looking at the dog. We just sold a beautiful little two year old female as a companion/light hunting dog that was OFA'd fair/poor and she was out of two excellent hipped parents. Never would have known just be looking at and watching her that she had bad hips. She's a powerful little hunter, hard core.

We have a couple of guide dogs at the kennel I work at that are either poor hipped or one actually does not have a hip socket at all. They're on normal human grade complete joint supplements that come from Sam's club.

But of course you can pay more if you want a doggie on the bottle label.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Yearling Member

Meds work to help them out. Cannot ever know for sure until around two years old and x-rayed etc. Check eyes also if you can.

Roger Staubach
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Pasture Pet

Beth, how much do you give? What are the signs of OD? Is it possible to OD?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
Kid Safe

I had a Pittie diagnosed with HD when he was 2. Vet said that his hip socket on the left was so deteriorated that we might not be able to make it through another summer with him. We didn't know, either, took him in because he'd been limping for a week.

The only "hope" for him was to have total hip replacements on both hips.

We opted not to do that and started him on a glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM supplement from Jeffers. I can't remember the name off the top of my head! But, Jeffers sells several.

Being on the supplement gave us another almost 4 years with him before the pain was too much.

I believe the glucosamine is 1000mg to do any good. Once again, though, I don't remember. If you do a search here, I think it's been discussed before. Also, do a Google search.

As far as Rimadyl...I heard too many bad things about side effects of long term use. The vet gave us a script that we could use when he got bad and I would only give him 5 - 7 days of it, then take him off again. Usually, when he was out acting like a nut and took a turn wrong....

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
Pasture Pet

Range, I've heard bad things about Rimadyl from laymen and good things from vets Perhaps I need to talk to the vets of the people who don't like it.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
Kid Safe

Version...Google it and look at the side effects. Even the data sheet provided by the manufacturer of the drug. In fact, if Shepdog checks in, I believe she had a really bad experience with it. As you know, my vets are....well...I like to trust the Google.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Pasture Pet

That's what I mean. But just like with people, you don't always know who is going to be okay and who isn't. There isn't a test for that kind of thing.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
Newborn Member

Glucosomine and Chondrontin WORKS!! Yes it does long term use if Dignoised for sure and if and when there is pain and it is time Rymdel is great for a long term with the lesser of side effects once you do start them on something such as that for pain and inflammation it will be VERY necessary to have routine blood pulled to check levels for harmful side effects.. and it can happen..
the above meds are expensive there is a generic to rym. though it is called Novox Caplets and they are less than half the cost and do the same remarkable job..
I have raised Great danes and now currently have a GD/Mast cross and he has had HD since he was about 9 months old dignoised the worse part is he had to have his Knee replaced about 3 yrs ago and that caused a lot of additional stress on the hips and it is very hard to keep him calm with the other 3 dogs so there are days he has alot of pain..
I will tell you on this website this is the best i have found now it is expensive but i used this one not the dog one nor the human one this one for myself and for my dog and horses, truth to the Lord i used this when and i have pictures of it i swelled so big the doctors did not know what was happening they said i had RA and that was it i took this equine one and it did a miracle in days in three months i was better totally.... i have pictures of what i looked like,,'
here is the link i would say it is worth it and there is no side effects from it at all...
http://www.hyalun.com/

Best of luck to you.
ANIMAL_FIXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Version - I don't know the levels of Gluco/Chond/etc. in the supplement we use off hand but I do know it's one that suggests three tablets per day for an adult and we give one tab AM/PM per dog. I believe it has Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and HA as well as other stuff in it. I'd have to check to see what's actually in it as I don't remember off hand.

Our vet has cautioned that Rimadyl should be a last resort as a long term "supplement" because of how hard it is on the kidneys and liver. She'll prescribe it for stuff like after a hard day hunting or for the 17 year old Lab at the kennel but would rather find a different form of pain management for the long term unless the owner is 100% into monitering the dogs liver every few months.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #17
Greenbroke Member

My dogs take supplements. The Vet told me that the human kind is the same as the animals kind, and cheaper. My lab can not take Rimadyl because of her kidney problems.

As for total hip replacement, if you decide to do it, don't wait to long. The older the dog, the harder it is.

BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs