Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Newborn Member

Anyone had a total hip replacement done?

My Ellie is having a total hip replacement done on November 21st at Ohio State, and I'm so excited to have her fixed up and so nervous all at once.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this done; what was the outcome/any advice, tips on recovery, ect.

She was to have already had this done 2 weeks ago, but we went through the whole 12 hour day/wait (x-rays, blood work, exam, consultation) only to have her chew at the clipped area overnight. They were going to do the closer shaving right before surgery the next morning and detected a small pink patch and called it off. The longer I have to wait, the more nervous I am becoming over this.

Thanks for any insights!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Started

Have not had the experience myself, but have seen the outcome for two dogs--one a golden retriever, one an australian shepherd, and both did very well--was like a new dog. The retriever had both hips done - a few mths apart. He was lucky his owners had the money, and it was great to see him run again.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Yearling Member

My uncle has a Chesapeake Bay and years ago she jumped out of the back of his truck and had to get the replacement done. Its wasn't cheap but it worked. As far as I know she has been fine ever since. She is getting old now and limps alittle but over all I am sure he wouldn't hesitate to ever have it done again.
Goodluck!
skipsnightlady81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
A J
Greenbroke Member

My dog as a kid had one done - problem being that the vet was terrible and actually misdiagnosed the problem - turned out to be bone cancer, not whatever they thought it was (I was kinda young and don't remember too clearly, other than the fact that my dog went through that only to have to put down for the real reason less than a year later).

The surgery itself was successful, and had that been the problem, I'm sure my dog would have been fine after that!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Started

I thought my dog needed one, in fact I was told by the vet he needed a hip replacement. I went to a different vet for a second opinion and come to find out it was his knee NOT his hip. He had the surgery and has been fine ever since (I think it has been 4-5 years). This is the same dog who had anal cancere at 11 and had chemo........and is still doing great at 12 years old.

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
Newborn Member

PonyExpress...that is AWESOME! I can't tell you how many of my friends and family have told me that I was crazy to spend this amount of money on an 8 year old dog. Well, none of us here are even close to starving...what other good is it going to do? Buy things? Money comes and money goes, but my dog is only here for a short time. Besides the fact, that I am a minority in feeling that she is one of my kids. We only have four leggers around here, with no plans on any two leggers.

My standard reply is, "Gee, I sure hope you never need a hip replacement...someone might tell you at your age it's just too much money, we're gonna have to put you down!" You'd ought to see the looks that draws!

Well, Tuesday she goes for her surgery and I pick her up on Thanksgiving Day. She had been on Duramax since she came home. Yesterday she was like a pup again. Prancing around, wanting to play, demanding to be the center of attention. That made my heart smile, and it makes me excited for what she'll be when she is through her recovery.

It's the recovery I was looking for advice on. They told me short walks on a leash several times a day for two-three months. Okay...I live on a farm in Ohio. Just WHERE am I supposed to accomplish this when there are four foot snow drifts everywhere? I guess maybe that big long aisle in the barn we built won't be such a waste of space after all
I wish we'd have known sooner so that she could have had this done in Spring or Summer. But she can't wait either.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm feeling better about the whole thing. I'll let you know how we make out on Thursday.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
Started

Yes very short walks, when it snows you need to shovel a path. This will be a very hard time, almost like taking care of a newborn......but like you said, they are our kids.
I feel very sorry for the animals who do not have humans that love them like we do!
I am hoping for a speedy recovery for your pup. My Max rarely needs any pain meds anymore and he gets around great for a 12 year old dog. He can now run with the younger dogs and play in the yard. You will be happy you did this, but be patient.
Please let me know how he is doing, I'll say a prayer for him.

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Weanling Member

I had a Whippet once who had his whole hip crushed by a car. My vet's opinion was that he would be fine if we just had all the bone removed, that muscle would fill in to take it's place. Recovery was slow (if you're not familiar with Whippets, they like to run!). Careful walks, mostly only to potty. Before long, he was running & bouncing like nothing ever happened. After a couple of years, the only way you could tell was when he'd pull too hard on his leash, that one leg would turn out at the hip. He never had any pain from it, it never slowed him down. A hip replacement may take longer to recover from, just remember avoid stairs if possible, keep it slow and calm. Don't try to rush getting her back to her old self, she's not young (not old, either!) and it may take time. Hoping surgery goes well!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Newborn Member

Update on Ellie...we took her back down again yesterday and when they clipped her they didn't like the slight pink areas. I had checked her before we left and saw nothing. Of course, her hair was more than 1/8" long then too. She's had the collar on the whole time...so what the heck? More antibiotics, re-schedule for three weeks from now, and special shampoo baths twice a week for three weeks.

Here's the kicker...I got home and the *VERY hard to see in the first place* slight pink spots on her were gone. This morning, she has three clipper red marks near her tail. I think it was the darned clippers making her skin pink. I can see I am going to have to get out my body clip shears and do it myself the night before our next appointment. And to think I have used them all of one minute one time on a cat so I was going to eBay them!

And so we wait...so more...

Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
Bombproof Member

This is going to sound silly, but I met a woman on an airplane once who had a GSD that had to have both hips replaced. Her whole family pooled their tax returns to get his hips replaced and she said the surgery went very well and he was like a completely different dog afterwards - able to jump and everything!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
Newborn Member

It sure doesn't sound funny to me! Sounds about right. I was in a very bad automobile accident some time ago where a man ran a stop sign and totaled my Mustang. The settlement from the car is what we are using to pay for Ellie.

Now, when I play my guitar and sing (I hope ya'll are old enough to know this song) Mustang Sally, I change the words to Mustang Ellie!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalizedequine
It sure doesn't sound funny to me! Sounds about right. I was in a very bad automobile accident some time ago where a man ran a stop sign and totaled my Mustang. The settlement from the car is what we are using to pay for Ellie.

Now, when I play my guitar and sing (I hope ya'll are old enough to know this song) Mustang Sally, I change the words to Mustang Ellie!
I thought it was silly that I met her on an airplane - not that they used their tax returns to pay for his hip replacements!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
Yearling Member

My Aussie had to get the canine version of the ACL reattached after getting trampled by a horse. My coworkers thought I was crazy but my friends and family understood. He is my baby. Stairs were the worst. He couldn't do them for 3 weeks and he is not a light dog. He is running and playing like a pup now and unfortnatly still trying to herd my horses. He does stay away from mares with foals now.
Ginaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
A J
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Besides the fact, that I am a minority in feeling that she is one of my kids. We only have four leggers around here, with no plans on any two leggers.
personalizedequine, join me in this minority struggle! My hubby and I are very happy just being US, the dog, cats, and horses. We have absolutly ZERO desire to have any kids - and it seems like so many people just can't understand that! We are nearing 30, haven't even started our careers yet, and none of our hobbies or interests leave room for kids (besides the fact that I just don't want to even go there!).

I think kids are great - as long as they're someone else's!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #15
Newborn Member

Orchid: Sorry...I must have read that wrong. Either that or I am just so used to being chastised over this by now. Seems everyone has accepted it and probably just talk behind my back now. I'm a firm believer in the concept that at the end of my life, it's ME who steps into the box, so I do what will not cause ME regret.

AJ- your post has me giggling. I'm lucky that my best friend is also childless, so we can go do our horsey stuff til our hearts content without complications. I think she wants children though, and I secretly hate the thought of losing our freedom. So selfish of me I know. That's why I said SECRETLY.

I am up to my ears in caring for what I have. I can't see how I could drag a baby around in the barn all day or fit it into my schedule. That would mean cutting back on horses, and my horses are not leaving here. They did not ask to be born or to be here. I feel it is my responsibility to ensure thier health and happiness. And in any other place than here, I can not do so and my mind would never rest worrying. Maybe in the future I will adopt, but that would be a very distant future and by then, I'd probably be too old!

Ellie is being tons of fun in the shower for these special baths btw...she has to soak in the shampoo for five minutes. Imagine five LONG minutes in the tiny corner shower just you cold wet and naked and your cold wet and naked BIG dog.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs