Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Seasoned

ruptured anal gland

My dog recently had a large swelling on his backside. I knew it was an anal glad issue, but at 9pm (and we just moved), I knew no vet would be available. I kenneled him overnight and hoped that it would drain. It did and left behind a hole the diameter of a pencil!! The next day we made it to the vet, got some antibiotics and pain pills and he's now in recovery at home. It's not too bad except it's on his butt, so sitting down is obviously painful for him...poor guy.

I had no idea that they could rupture like this. So, to all dog owners, make sure you or your groomer, if you have one, clean those anal glands!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Kid Safe

It's actually pretty common. It can be caused by a bad diet or being overweight. Sometimes they just get impacted no matter what. We have some dogs that come into the clinic every few weeks to have them expressed. It's a fairly easy thing to do at home if you have someone to hold the dog. Just as a heads up. If you do get your dog groomed ask the groomed if they do anal glands because some are lazy. if you see your dog scoot or act spooked like they have seen a ghost get their anal glands checked. You would be surprised. Other things Include licking or looking at their back end or really bad breath.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Weanling Member

You're actually NOT supposed to manually express them regularly.

It leads to the dog becoming dependent on others expressing them, and if it doesn't get done on a regular basis problems like this can arise.

If your dog is on a healthy diet it's an issue that should take care of itself. My parents had a cocker growing up. They did his all the time and he had issues with them constantly. I asked my vet about it when I got my first dog, she said if the dog is on a good diet and doesn't show any signs of a problem (licking, scooting etc.) leave them alone.

I've never had them done nor done them myself on any of my dogs.
Never had a problem.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Kid Safe

I am with you on this one, Jess. I never do anal glands, on my dogs or the dogs I groom, and have only ever seen one dog (not mine) who had an issue. His burst on their own as well (I was getting ready to take him to the vet.) They healed up on their own.

It might be a breed thing as well.

Feeding alot of soft foods does not help - like all canned foods. I think people tend to do that more for the little dogs.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Seasoned

Yes, the vet did say that normally when the dog goes to the bathroom, the pressure of the bowel movement forces the anal glands to release, thereby marking his poo with his scent markers. However, if he regularly has soft stool, then nothing is pushing on the anal glands. Due to my dogs desire to eat whatever falls out of my horse's mouth, plus horse manure, dirt, grass and whatever else he finds, his stool is usually semi-soft. She assumed this is why he had this issue. So, I was told to add fiber to his diet, which I did with All Bran cereal and then I have to periodically check the glands to make sure they aren't full.

We never did this with dogs growing up, nor do I remember any dog ever having a problem, but none of our dogs growing up went to the groomers so nobody was cleaning anything for them. My dog has gone to the groomers for years and has probably had this done many, many times. Now it's just something I have to watch and take care of myself.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
You're actually NOT supposed to manually express them regularly.

It leads to the dog becoming dependent on others expressing them, and if it doesn't get done on a regular basis problems like this can arise.

If your dog is on a healthy diet it's an issue that should take care of itself. My parents had a cocker growing up. They did his all the time and he had issues with them constantly. I asked my vet about it when I got my first dog, she said if the dog is on a good diet and doesn't show any signs of a problem (licking, scooting etc.) leave them alone.

I've never had them done nor done them myself on any of my dogs.
Never had a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singing tree View Post
I am with you on this one, Jess. I never do anal glands, on my dogs or the dogs I groom, and have only ever seen one dog (not mine) who had an issue. His burst on their own as well (I was getting ready to take him to the vet.) They healed up on their own.

It might be a breed thing as well.

Feeding alot of soft foods does not help - like all canned foods. I think people tend to do that more for the little dogs.

I agree with these comments. I was going to respond a while ago, but I was afraid I would say something rude in regards to the "some groomers are lazy" comment.... Jess and Singing Tree put it much more eloquently than I could have at the time.
Majolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Kid Safe

Sorry bout that... But I work at a vets/groomers and we always do anal glands on bath and grooming dogs. We have had to treat countless ruptured anal glands that go to other groomers on a regular basis. So that's our clinic policy. Sorry. But you are right. A healthy dog doesn't need them expresses. But we have never had an issue caused by expressing them. Heck, they wouldn't be full if they were expressing them properly on their own...

Last edited by Sirita_88; 07-29-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Kid Safe

Okay - I have to tell this story. Many years ago, I was taking our Irish setter with me, and leaving our Airedale home. The Airedale wanted to go, and jumped into the back our our little station wagon. My hubby grabbed her, scared her, and she expressed her anal glands all right: right into hubbies' open mouth. He did not know what happened at first, but he soon ran for the house, gagging. I cannot imagine.... one of those stories that get told over and over...

And no, we never had to do an anal gland expressing....
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Kid Safe

Quote:
Okay - I have to tell this story. Many years ago, I was taking our Irish setter with me, and leaving our Airedale home. The Airedale wanted to go, and jumped into the back our our little station wagon. My hubby grabbed her, scared her, and she expressed her anal glands all right: right into hubbies' open mouth. He did not know what happened at first, but he soon ran for the house, gagging. I cannot imagine.... one of those stories that get told over and over...

Lol. About a month ago I was expressing a dogs anal glands and they flew up and got in my hair. I had someone come and bathe the dog while I washed my hair... But I could still smell it all day... Yuck.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Seasoned

Quote:

ew...gross.....SO....GROSS!
i think I just barfed a little.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
Sorry bout that... But I work at a vets/groomers and we always do anal glands on bath and grooming dogs. We have had to treat countless ruptured anal glands that go to other groomers on a regular basis. So that's our clinic policy. Sorry. But you are right. A healthy dog doesn't need them expresses. But we have never had an issue caused by expressing them. Heck, they wouldn't be full if they were expressing them properly on their own...
It is okay, I was just a bit stressed and annoyed at the time anyway. I had to express them on every dog when I worked at the kennel as well, but that is where we first had the discussion about them. But it was their policy, so it happened. Now I work for a vet, and I do express them if the owner asks me to, but otherwise do not. It is nice though, because now there is a vet there if there is a problem.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
Lol. About a month ago I was expressing a dogs anal glands and they flew up and got in my hair. I had someone come and bathe the dog while I washed my hair... But I could still smell it all day... Yuck.
That happened to a lady I worked with at the kennel, and she had to cut off her hair to get rid of the smell! Cat pee too. I got peed on by a cat and my smock smelled like it every time it would get wet for about a year.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Yearling Member

Quote:

Yup, anal glands sure are stinky. I've had them expressed in my face by a scared dog. The clinic I work at now only expresses them when requested or if there is a problem. Most that come in are fat little doxies that I wonder how there little legs can hold those bodies up!
I've also been peed on numerous times too. My coworkers really enjoyed the time I had a male rottie "mark" me at the clinic. He then wouldn't let anyone else near him and I was stuck dealing with him while he was there (he was in for neutering ).

Staff to:4 mini friends: "Ginger, Abby, Strawberry and Kodi, and newest member Indy!"
RIP my beautiful girl "Nutmeg" 2005-2011
APHANutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs