Horsetopia Forum

Horsetopia Forum (https://forum.horsetopia.com/index.php)
-   Breeding & Genetics (https://forum.horsetopia.com/breeding-genetics-25/)
-   -   What age to castrate (https://forum.horsetopia.com/breeding-genetics/99930-what-age-castrate.html)

cansncattle 12-29-2008 01:38 PM

What age to castrate

Question: What age would you castrate your colt? also, is it fact or myth that geld early, taller leaner, geld later, shorter stockier? I have one coming in march, and am considering whether I should get him castrated before he even gets here. Thanks!

QuarterCowGirl 12-29-2008 01:42 PM

You can't geld him until he drops. My guy will be one in May and he still hasn't dropped yet.
:mad:

SusanG 12-29-2008 02:02 PM

Iv'e had horses that were gelded at 6 months, 1 year, 4 years etc.

If you don't want a stallion gelding sooner is better, though I haven't noticed a significant difference in size. Gelding sooner will eliminate the chances of your boy getting "studdy".

Katemary63 12-29-2008 02:34 PM

I think the gelding relationship to size is a myth. We gelded one colt at a year, but should have done him sooner - he had started mounting the mares and that is what reminded me that he wasn't cut yet! We did another colt at 5 mos, just before he was weaned. Our vet says, "The earlier, the better. " She had done it as early as 3 months.

arkyhorse 12-29-2008 03:15 PM

Testosterone was shown to retard long bone growth by Texas A&M in a study 10 years ago, only about 3/4 of a inch more in height.

EquineAlberta 12-29-2008 04:59 PM

We gelded our three at one year of age. They were kept only with other boys, weren't difficult, and waiting until the spring meant that it was decent weather, and there weren't flies out yet.

Testosterone does change growth, both in height and in build development. A late gelded warmblood horse will often be thicker through the throatlatch than one gelded earlier. I am not sure how much difference it makes if they are gelded as weanlings, yearlings or two year olds though.

Karen

arkyhorse 12-29-2008 05:59 PM

The study done by A&M showed greater effect prepuerperal castration,weanlings.

cansncattle 12-30-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuarterCowGirl (Post 1497253)
You can't geld him until he drops. My guy will be one in May and he still hasn't dropped yet.

My guy has little almonds there, so technically, he could be done. I am just trying to decide whether I should get him done before he ships to me, or wait and have my own vet do it. ONly difference is that in Arizona, it will be cheaper for me then for when he comes to BC Canada.

Gotta Love Duns 12-30-2008 10:36 AM

I had Bailey done at 6 months he seemed to heal much faster than the yearling, two year old and three year old that also got gelded that day.

Red Gate Farm 12-30-2008 10:47 AM

They can be gelded as soon as his bad boys are down.

I'd get him done before he comes up to you, since it will be cheaper.

I can just hear him now, "Hey, I don't get sold to Canada. I did, and they chopped my bad boys off!"

paso_lover 12-31-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuarterCowGirl (Post 1497253)

HA.....

My colt will be 2 first week of june and still he hasn't dropped :shock:. The vet checked him out last month when in for shots and said MAYBE in march I can get him done.

QuarterCowGirl 12-31-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paso_lover (Post 1499974)
HA.....

My colt will be 2 first week of june and still he hasn't dropped :shock:. The vet checked him out last month when in for shots and said MAYBE in march I can get him done.

:eek:

samtom 12-31-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paso_lover (Post 1499974)
HA.....

Same here. My colt will be 3 in March and he has finally dropped I just noticed today and I looked 2 days ago. There is a difference in behavior also. He has never opened his mouth to me and today I was playing with one of his front legs and he reached back like he would bite, when I popped his neck he stamped his foot.:shock: This behavior is VERY unusual for him. And I do not like it. Looks like I will be calling the vet soon.

Fancy_Fe 01-01-2009 01:25 AM

My stallion didnt drop til he was 3.5yrs almost 4yrs. He will be getting gelded in the late spring or summer, after he is bred to a few mares that people wish to breed him to. Only reason for gelding him is because I will be moving and cant quite board him in a field of mares and geldings without him snipped. He isnt studdy at all which is great!

bittersweethorsefarm 01-01-2009 01:28 PM

My 14+H colt will be 2 in spring, only one is dropped sometimes and its small. Though when I had him sedated for x-rays, both finally showed - but were still walnut size. :shock:

Poor little guy is nothing compared to his 11.2H daddy... oi his were draft-sized huge. :eek::laughing6:

Not going to be gelded, let's just hope he makes his dad proud. ;) haha.