View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
farmergal
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolNoelle View Post
Hi.
I have a 8-9 yr old female French Bulldog who was supposed to be spayed when I "rescued" her from a woman who owned her for about 6 mos (she was also under the impression this dog was spayed)
Anyway, this girl has c-section scars, is the sweetest dog i have ever owned.
She has had several heat cycles since we've had her about 3 yrs now(all new to us, we've never had a female dog before), but this one is lasting longer and this morning, after about 4 weeks now, the bleeding is darker and heavier!! The vet told me over the phone that based on her age and history and symptoms (none except for bleeding--she is active, eating, drinking, clingy as always,) that this is normal--he says "heavier longer periods is normal for older dogs like her" I am scheduling her to be spayed asap after she stops bleeding.
I trust what the vet says I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this also? I was worried sick! still worried...
I LOVE this dog but hate to bring her out in this horrible heat if I don't have to and the vet says I don't need to...
PLEASE share your knowledge! thanks
Are you sure it's not a hernia scar? My BIL lost his dog when she went into heat and she was an older dog. I was told she hadn't had a strong heat cycle (attracted males) in years so they didn't bother to get her spayed. She got pyometra ( http://petsmd.com/Health/Dogs/Pyometra ) sadly they lost her on the operating table. So if you notice any changes don't hesitate, get her to the vet.