View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
luckierthanhelooks
Halter broke

This is a tough question, being that you just bought this horse... have you ever rode her? Normally, I would wait two weeks... then start light riding, but it leaves you with the question as to what to do with the baby. Some mares are fine with the baby left in the stall for a short ride, some arent.. some you can let the baby run around the arena while you ride.. or put the foal in a pen right next to the arena... Also, some mares have a hard enough time keeping enough energy to feed baby, and theres no way you could keep weight on them working too...I would strongly recommend NOT allowing the foal to run along on a trail ride as some people do.. I have seen horrible accidents happen from this. Since you dont know the mare that well, (or did you know her before you bought her?) I would proceed with extreme caution.. some mares TOTALLY lose it when they feel their babies are to far away.. or threatened... Did the mare come to your place RIGHT before she foaled??? what a stressful time for her if so. I would think it might be best to just wait until the foal is weaned in this situation.
luckierthanhelooks is offline   Reply With Quote