Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 AM  
Long Yearling

Question Round Pen Size...Preference???

Also, do some folks prefer a certain size for a particular phase of training?

I'm personally asking this for two reasons. I recently extended my round pen from eight, ten foot panels to twelve, ten foot panels. When it was smaller, there was not the issue of my horses cutting/cheating "corners". I'm thinking it may be too big for ground work???

Also, with River, my two year old, he never had an issue with joining up in the smaller pen, but isn't as anxious to do so now that it is larger. BUT, now that I am riding River in the round pen, I do want it bigger....

Opinions? Thanks.

My house is where I live, but I'm at home in the saddle.
horses-n-greyhoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 AM  
Pasture Pet

Most are 60 foot - but I like 40 foot - less area for me to run around in when working a new horse on the ground, and just right for starting a green one under saddle.. But, that is just my personal preference..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM  
Bombproof Member

Mine is 60' square and I back off when a horse heads for a corner. They soon learn to stay out of them, yet the straight sides are easier on the joints, enough room to ride and work in and allows the rider to ride deep into the corners. When I find this too big, I run electric ribbon across one end with a few supports. Usually a horse will respect this and I now have a rectangle. A lot of tho't went into this and it has worked well for me.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 PM  
Started

We have a 50 foot diameter round pen. I like it for traditional round pen work on the ground, but when I ride I sure wish it were larger. Seems like 60 feet would be a nice compromise. We have friends with a 90 footer. I'm not in good enough shape to round pen in THAT
Mule Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM  
Bombproof Member

Well, for working with youngster up to 18 months I like 40 ft. For two year old to 4 I like 60 ft. and after that I prefer a 90 ft. A 90 ft. also works well for horses who are 16 hands and up, any smaller and a good extention at the canter is hard. This is why those 12 ft. round pen panels are so great because you can add what you need, or take out what you don't.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Our's is 60', but wish it was smaller. You can run yourself to death in it!
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:22 PM  
Long Yearling

"A 90 ft. also works well for horses who are 16 hands and up, any smaller and a good extention at the canter is hard."

Exaxctly... I hate to ask for a canter in a smaller pen. It seems unfair. My young boy will be 16 hands I feel in the next 1 to 2 years. He still seems to hate to extend himself as is....or maybe he is just lazy???

My house is where I live, but I'm at home in the saddle.
horses-n-greyhoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Ours is 60' and it works just fine for us.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I have a 45' and will be making it larger because the horses are just to big to really move in it. 90' sounds great to me for these bigger horses and it would make me move more.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I like 40-50 feet for ground work and maybe the first couple of rides. Mine is about 60 foot right now. Still small enough that I can reach them if I need to but large enough to lope them under saddle.

Those that I know with a larger 90' round pen use it more like a small arena or for starting cattle work, not for breaking out colts.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 PM  
Started

I had an 80ft round pen for riding. It was more like a small arena. I would make it smaller around 40ft when lunging and working young horses. Anything bigger you'd better be in shape.

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -Will Rogers
thunderbaby703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM  
Seasoned

I like 50'. I don't have an issue with my larger horses, (16.3, 16.2 and 17.1)
being able to canter in it. But mainly use it for ground work. I only ride them the first few rides in it and then head to the big arena.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM  
Coming two

I would rather have a larger round pen, as I would like to ride in a large one and wouldn't really mind the extra running around if I have more room for riding..

I don't even know what size ours is, but I have it in a oval shape, not round and it works nice. Occasionally a horse will cut corners, but usually they only do that once!
Goldun Acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM  
Yearling Member

According to Cherry Hill:

66 foot diameter for general use. (corresponds to the 20 meter circle used in dressage as well)
35 foot with SOLID walls Starting pen- for gentling and starting young uns
200 + feet- good for cattle training as well as general riding

The 66 foot is the most useful unless you break a lot of colts. It takes 65 tons (or 44 cubic yards) of sand to fill a 66 foot RP. Yeesh.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:15 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth55051 View Post
I like 40-50 feet for ground work and maybe the first couple of rides. Mine is about 60 foot right now. Still small enough that I can reach them if I need to but large enough to lope them under saddle.

Those that I know with a larger 90' round pen use it more like a small arena or for starting cattle work, not for breaking out colts.
Yep, I agree with you..

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 PM  
Seasoned

My family Ranch Sorts.
We often will introduce a young horse to cattle at a Ranch Sorting.
The two connected round pens used at most Ranch Sorting practices and competitions are usually 50-60 in diameter.
There are two horses and ten calves moving around, and there is plenty of room.
So I doubt you would need anything larger.

Cowboy Up!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM  
Yearling Member

Mine is 60' and works very well, the panels are also 6' high, discouraging any thoughts of leaving. It can be a bit big when just starting to learn how to free lunge but is too small for taller breeds. I soon head for the indoor arena to free lunge as soon as they get the concept. My indoor is 66' X 132", I can free lunge up to 4 horses at the same time in it. My round pen is not solid and I find I don't mind it as the horses must learn how to deal with distractions and pay attention to me.
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seerfarm View Post
Well, for working with youngster up to 18 months I like 40 ft. For two year old to 4 I like 60 ft. and after that I prefer a 90 ft. A 90 ft. also works well for horses who are 16 hands and up, any smaller and a good extention at the canter is hard. This is why those 12 ft. round pen panels are so great because you can add what you need, or take out what you don't.
I agree w/Seerfarm. On younger (ie. smaller) horses, I find it better to use a smaller round pen. I work my 2 month old in a very small, 30ft round pen, and only for 5-6 min. She is already learning to lead, turn in, turn out, etc. I expand the round pen for my two yr. old (15 hh) to 70 feet because he is already trained to stay at a certain distance from the walls (I started him in a smaller diameter round pen) and I don't have to chase him to get his shoulder out to the rail. He doesn't usually cut corners, but if he does I make him stop immediately and stand there, perfectly still... I won't let him move (drives him nuts that he can't move or put his head down). Then I back him up, put him on the rail, walk back to the center and start over. I have never had him try to cut a corner more than once during a round pen session, and he doesn't do it very often. Once in a blue moon (that's a song, isn't it??). For my larger warmblood (17 hh and growning) also already trained in round penning (I started him in smaller round pen), it has to be a good 90ft. if I want to work on anything that includes extention. Trot or Canter, and it also works better doing cavelettis in the larger round pen. Anyway, long story short (okay, too late for that, I know) small body, just beginning training (not really asking for a canter - if the horse does, that is up to him, I just don't ask him to do it) = small round pen; larger horse, already begun round penning, doing well with verbal or ground commands = bigger round pen. For me anyway!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM  
Coming two

Mine is 100' but I make it about 40' when starting my colts. The 100' is nice for just about any type of regular riding. it also has 7 rails and 6' high.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:54 PM  
Gee
Weanling Member

round pen

I love my 40 ft round pen.Its the perfect size for ground work and those first few rides.I became spoiled this summer and made a 120 by 100 ft outdoor sand arena.I haven't used my round pen all summer as all my horses are past that stage.But, I have a new filly coming next week, so the round pen will come to life again.If all I had was a round pen, Iwould have wanted 60ft so you can use it for all stages in a horses training.Its hard to teach straight line work in a 40ft.A 6oft gives you room to make triangles and to get cantering without being to dizzy,lol.G
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training