Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM  
Newborn Member

Unhappy Head Slinging on 14yo

I have a 14 yrs buckskin and he needs to be corrected for slinging his head, want respect the bit, will not stop when my 9 yrs is on him. I know this is a discipline problem but what kind of bit will get his attention...

Please help, if we can not get him to correct this my daughter will be heart broken.

***Title edited for clarity.***

Last edited by divinemisselle : 06-25-2007 at 05:01 PM.
calhoun county girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

Increasing the severity of the bit will likely only create more problems. Being a behavioural issue, back to the drawing board with him.

Get him paying more attention to what is being asked of him. If this is a short attention span issue, work on exercises to keep him thinking, then rethinking.

Don't let him anticipate or make decisions on his own. He needs to understand the rider is the one in charge.

Figure eights, serpentines, transitions, obstacle courses are all tools to get him back in the zone.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 PM  
Pasture Pet

I agree! I would tend to go more to a lighter bit as opposed to a harsher one, it may be botherin him, but it sounds like more of a discipline issue. A martingale may also help him get out of the habit.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM  
Newborn Member

twisted mouth piece
Old 06-25-2007, 05:23 PM  
Newborn Member

Well it's more like a butterfly with twisted iron...We got it with the horse.

Here's the story.....

I bought him for me and then my daughter got into horses and now she is taking lessens for barrels and poles...he has not been ridden much I am focusing all my attention on my daughter (living my dream through her!) She took him to riding lessons last week and he showed his natural born tail. She cried the whole time, the trainer then tied him up and used one of her horses.

I'm not sure if this is the right horse for her...She only weighs 65 pounds and that is socking wet. (haha) he does'nt know that she's even on him.

Please help!~ I will post a pic in just a few
Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 PM  
Pasture Pet

Does the trainer she is taking lessons from feel like this is a match that will work? Can she ride him for you some and try to determine what is going on with him, or if he is just being difficult?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM  
Newborn Member

she tried, but he was not doing any better with her.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:51 PM  
Newborn Member

I think this horse is to much for her. The horse that she rides is a very calm and she does wonderful, she rides with out a problem.

If I could figure out to send a picture of her and him I would....but I'm new and its taking me some time.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:01 PM  
Newborn Member

the pic's

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/P5190111.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/PB040020.jpg
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM  
Newborn Member

well maybe this will work

Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM  
Pasture Pet

He is really gorgeous, you shouldn't have trouble finding someone to take him if you decide to, or you could keep him as your horse and find her something else. Horses are dirt cheap right now if you can afford to feed one!
Or, try to get a trainer to work with him for 30 days, you might get back a changed horse, or you might discover he will never be what you want, but it is worth a try.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:07 PM  
Pasture Pet

How much training has she had? That is not a bit I would put in the hands of a beginner.
If she is overhorsed and new to riding-I would consider getting her a new horse that is stone gentle and then you can ride the buckskin-live your own dream-it is fun.
Overmounted kids end up being kids who oftentimes turn away from riding.
Plenty of horses out there that would suit her.
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM  
Newborn Member

I'm new to this forum, so Hi y'all! I've done a little training and it sounds like your horse definitely needs some more groundwork, especially on softening his neck & poll. I would try a O-ring or D-ring snaffle bit on him before putting any tie downs on him, they are only a temporary fix and if he is going to run barrels, tie downs would restrict him. If you can afford it, I agree with the reply about you keeping him (he is gorgeous) and finding a good solid starter horse for your daughter. Have her trainer help you find the right one. Horses are herd animals, I didn't see if you had any others, and if he has a companion maybe he will settle down some,too.
CJ Horsecrazy Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM  
Bombproof Member

I am going off the bit and asking when was the last time his teeth was checked? Does he still have his wolf teeth?

As Tmom stated, if your daughter is green, she can have a reversed affect on him. She may need to take lessons on a older horse thats been there and done that and get her hands were they need to be.

I would not go with anything with a twist, but after he has his teeth checked, if they have not been, back to the round pen, from the gorund and get him back to respecting the bit. Ground driving and voice commands.

You can also go off a bit totally and use a hack.

No matter how you try, some horses just dont ride with a bit.

Tie downs are not for holding a horses head down like this, they are used for stability when running and working. You have to find the problem and fix it correctly, not in a hurry with quick fix's.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 PM  
Yearling Member

I'm with Snickers, please have his teeth checked pronto, it can cause all sorts of behavioral problems. A nice full cheek snaffle would be great after his teeth are done. Maybe you can get help working with this horse, ground work to saddling and riding again. You and your daughter should help in this process, learn together with your horse.

It's my guess previous hands have jerked on his mouth plenty and his only defense is to swing his head to avoid contact. A twisted bit is pretty harsh.
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training