Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 PM  
Halter broke

Help halter training donkey

I have a "wild" donkey. He was kept out with cows for four/five years with no human contact other than being gelded. He will come up to me now (after three weeks) and let me pet and rub his face and neck. But when I get the halter out he runs away. He's okay with things if the halter is on my mare or the ground nearby, but if I'm holding it, he's gone. I have no clue how the people we bought him from got his halter on. How can I get him to accept the halter?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:31 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
step 1: get a bucket and put some grain in it

step 2: put halter open so he has to put his head in halter to get to grain at bottom of bucket

step 3: let him get used to eating through the halter

step 4: work your way slowly putting it on his head

step 5: after you accomplish this and he starts to accept it, make sure every time he is supposed to be fed, he has to be caught and haltered before he eats. Soon the halter means feed time!

Hope this helps
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM  
Weanling Member

I am working with 8 donkeys that were like that!

I like to put them in a round pen, and get some respect, get them joining up with you, then, every time you go to pet him, scrunch the halter up in your hand and pet him with it. (It is much easier to scrunch a rope halter)

I would spend 5 to 10 minutes with him several times a day, and rub him down with the halter, then eventually let it loose, (Still in you hand, but not scrunched up) and within a few sessions, you should have it on him!

Jenny
Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 AM  
Kid Safe

Once you get the halter on, make sure every experience with it is a good one for a while - feeding, grazing, grooming. Otherwise, you will always have a problem getting to the donkey.

He will take longer than a horse will, be prepared.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:25 AM  
Yearling Member

i have read that donkeys are not"stubborn" they just have a higher degree of self-preservation than horses--hence the balking. Someone on HT said they put the halter in the feed--so it acquired a good smell-- (might have been tx reiner). This will be an interesting project--what are your plans for this donkey?
texas sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:48 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
said they put the halter in the feed--so it acquired a good smell-- (might have been tx reiner).
No, Someone else said it! Lol! But I did use to put my bits in the feed can!

Quote:
have read that donkeys are not"stubborn" they just have a higher degree of self-preservation than horses--hence the balking.
True! I was like what am I going to do with 8 DONKEYS? But they are much easier to train, then a lot of horses I have had to train! The leading was a cinch, the only *problem* we have had was picking up their feet, but that has been taken care of too!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:50 AM  
Halter broke

I've been putting the halter in the feed bucket (thanks cascy!), and he'll eat if I'm more than 8 feet away. I'm working on getting closer. Tx-Reiner, what did you do with 8 donkeys?! I would like to eventually ride mine bareback. Thanks guys keep the advice coming!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:35 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Tx-Reiner, what did you do with 8 donkeys?!
I start horses for a living, and a client has them for pets, so I was halter training, now I am trick training. (See a pic of one sitting like a dog on my thread in meet the horses!)

Once they are old enough, we are going to start them under saddle!
They are a ton of fun!

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training