Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM  
Yearling Member

herd bound...what to do?

Okay, Need advice, I have a young mare, that is very vocal and herd bound. When ever we take one of the other horses, to the round pen, which is alittle out of her sight. She acts up.
She rears up, and runs and bucks, and carries on, like a freak. She winny's so loud, and she so bad, that you can not hear anything but her big mouth. She does it non stop, she gets the other ones stirred up as well, and they start, not to mention the one you took to the round pen..
I had prospective buyers out to look at my gelding I have for sale, and every time, they took him to the round pen to work, she would go crazy.
So I put her up in the barn with the boys, and she acted up.
Everytime we load up some of the mares, to go off trail riding, she runs around like a freak, and winny's out of control.
We have loaded her up, and taken her for rides in the trailer, by herself, and she fine. But since she is only green broke, we dont take her with us riding.
Now a friend of mine is also having the same problem with a older mare, and a young mare of 2 1/2. She has separted them like I told her, but now the young mare, has started acting up, and kicking stalls walls and so forth. She has never done this before, the older mare, runs and bucks and winny's terrible when they are out of sight from each other.
She has ask for help, but I cant help her, because my one mare is doing it as well to me. I tried many things, and nothing has worked.

Any suggestion, for both of us to put a stop to this herd bound issue we are having with our horses?
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 AM  
Long Yearling

I know your frustrastion...my mare was acting up a while back when she would get separated from her "boyfriend".

It took a really long time for her to improve her behavior, but what I did was separate the two horses over and over again. First, for short periods and then eventually longer, and longer. I would either take her for a walk where she oculd not see him, or I would take him on a trail ride and leave her. Would she freak out? You bet. Act like an idiot? Absolutley.

The fear that I had while trying to break her of her buddy sourness was that she would get hurt in the process of throwing her tantrums, so just make sure your horse is somewhere safe.

I found that once my horse got the point that her boyfriend was always going to come back, it wasnt a big deal to her anymore.

Good luck to you!!
MLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 AM  
Pasture Pet

We take them out of the herd and tie them where they can see the herd but not interact. They stay there until they are quiet and then returned. We slowly add distance and the inability to see the other horses, until they will stand quietly no matter where.. Then, we start riding them out alone.

It can take a while - this is not an overnight fix it issue - but with patience and persistance, it will work!

Good luck!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:16 AM  
Yearling Member

So, what do you do when you only have 2 and they BOTH act like morons, every time you separate them? I'm putting them in pastures side by side now and boy, the first hour or so it sounds like the war of the worlds

Mind you, the mare is much better, you can take her away from him for a walk or ride (where she can neither see nor hear him) but the gelding will pull all sorts of nonsense both, when you take him or her.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:21 AM  
Pasture Pet

Tie them both - starting with them seeing each other and slowly adding space and privecy... We have used the trailer with one on each side before to break this pattern - groom one and then the other after they have quieted down - that way they are also rewarded for being tied and for being good, and it helps you bond with them each seperately.

Pat's old roping horse and mine were joined at the hip - they would ride out fine, but called to whoever was left in the pasture - drove me crazy (short trip ); we did thee tie thing for about two weeks and they each settled down a lot.. It will take a while - no "magic" fix - but it will work over time...

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:52 AM  
Weanling Member

Gbar wrote:
Quote:
We take them out of the herd and tie them where they can see the herd but not interact. They stay there until they are quiet and then returned. We slowly add distance and the inability to see the other horses, until they will stand quietly no matter where.. Then, we start riding them out alone.
This approach has worked for me as well.

Make sure the post is very stout. What we did was bury a eight foot utitity pole (from an electrical pole) about 4 feet in the ground with about 4 feet sticking out, use water to help tamp down the sand/dirt and you will get a stonger post without useing cement.

My mare was very herd bound last summer and she actually broke down three rails in our round pen because her buddy was walked out of sight. She could have cared less if she got cut, she just kept ramming the rails. So I had someone come and trailer the buddy away and tied my mare to the snubbing post. She shoved the post with all her might and couldn't move it. After about 15 minutes she stood there quietly. I had her stand like that for another five minutes then let her go. She did trot calmly over to the fence but did not rush up and down like crazy.
Just kept repeating this until she understood.

Good luck,
Annie
Old 11-17-2006, 04:41 PM  
Tee

Re

Two months back, I recieved two naughty studs in for training. They had been kept out together since the day they were weaned, and were very bound to eachother (both being 6 years old). I split them up, putting each one at seperate ends of the barn. There was screaming for about 4-5 days, then nothing. Since then, they've been fine. If you have the patience to get through the screaming, bucking, rearing and general "fit" throwing, you'll be ok!!

Sam

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training