Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2005, 07:40 AM  
Weanling Member

Training to pull a buggy

Does anyone know anything about it? My husband has run into a guy who knows of an Amish family who will teach a horse to pull a buggy for about $300 for 60 days. This includes everything, feed, board, daily care, and training. Is this about right? Does anyone know about Amish trained horses?
magicma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:09 AM  
Started

I live right in Amish country, and will never allow them to do any horse training for me! Every horse I have ever seen any of them working with ends up with horrible scars from various things and they are usually 200 to 300#'s underweight beforew they leave. Nine out of ten times around here if someone takes a horse to any of the amish for training they end up going and picking it up after only a week or two because of the weight and physical damage. For instance I have a friend that took 2 yearling quarter horse to the amish to be broke and they ruined them so bad that they were barely saleable after returning home to her!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:59 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestep
I live right in Amish country, and will never allow them to do any horse training for me! Every horse I have ever seen any of them working with ends up with horrible scars from various things and they are usually 200 to 300#'s underweight beforew they leave. Nine out of ten times around here if someone takes a horse to any of the amish for training they end up going and picking it up after only a week or two because of the weight and physical damage. For instance I have a friend that took 2 yearling quarter horse to the amish to be broke and they ruined them so bad that they were barely saleable after returning home to her!
thats really scarey- do they beat the horses or something?
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:08 AM  
Bombproof Member

This is such a bad sterotype ....Not all Amish treat their horses badly. And I've said before my farrier is Amish and treated all horses like people. To say that Amish beat their horses and leave them with physical and mental damage just makes me cringe. Yes, I'm sure there are some out there that do this, but then again there are some more that don't. It's no different then any other race is it? I suggest you go and check out the place and get a good look at their horses and see how they handle them.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:16 AM  
Yearling Member

Well said QuarterCowGirl.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:25 AM  
Halter broke

I don't think all amish trainers are bad. You get a lot of abusive trainers period. I think you should check it out and see how they handle their horses, and see if their horses look happy. I know they are their transportation and rely on them everyday as we do our cars. The price of the training is cheap, but if you have a little spare time you can easily train your horse to drive yourself.
mitrakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM  
Started

No they do not beat them, that I am aware of I just do not like what I have seen that they have worked with at there homes (as far as training goes!) Don't take me wrong generally things they break are well broke when they are finished I just do not like a the boo boo's that the horses end up with and all the weight loss. And also the ones in your area may be fine, but however the ones in our area that train I do not care for the way the horses come back. I to have a amish farrier and he does great! And I would let them train my horses if they came to my home! So that I would no they were being properly cared for. I hope that makes sense.Which we also have several amish friends!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:42 PM  
Bombproof Member

The main difference I have noticed with the Amish is that they do not tend to coddle their horses as we do, and with good reason. For people like me, horses are a luxury item; for the Amish, they are a necessity of a hard-working life, and coddling is not something they generally have the time or money to do.

As with any trainer, Amish or not, just do your homework ahead of time so you know what to expect.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:05 PM  
Pasture Pet

If I were to send one out to an Amish trainer-I would just make sure he did not break my horse out on the pavement.
That pounding can sure get you a nice case of concussion founder-ask them to stick to the dirt roads.
They routinely drive at a fast pace on the highways and that is why a lot of Amish working horses end up at auction.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:21 AM  
Pasture Pet

$300 for two months seems oddly cheap to me. That is $5 a day! Is your horse going to be "working" for them to help pay his way? Of course the low price could be because their cost of living is lower.

As with sending a horse to any trainer, ask to see some horses in training, see where your horse will be, see if you can watch some of the training, ask for references, that sort of thing.

Amish or not should not make a difference.

Although I agree that being worked on pavement isn't going to be great on your horse...when training to pull, they should be on firm ground; most arenas are too soft and make it tough for the horse to pull...I'd ask where the training is going to take place to make sure they have good footing. If they are used to training draft/using horses, they may have different standards of acceptable work load than you may.

My father in law for example thinks we coddle our horses because we water them in the winter and won't let them pull stuff (I don't think they are built for it) It is not that he is cruel...he just comes from a very different back ground and goes by the standard of care he was raised with!

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training