Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2005, 09:12 PM  
Started

Round Pen, what size?

Ok, we are planning to build a round pen in a few weeks, but we aren't sure what size to build. We plan to mostly use it for starting horses under saddle and basic ground work! What size would be best?
mestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:17 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Since you're going to be starting horses, I'm going to assume they are going to be young horses. I would recommend at least 45-50 feet. Probably closer to 60'' would be better.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:21 PM  
Started

Yes, they will be younger horses on most occasions ground work as yearlings and started under saddle as three year olds. And they will be quarter horses and paints!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 PM  
Kid Safe

Especially with young horses, who often don't know that there is any such thin as a slow canter, or even a slow trot, a 60 foot round pen is almost a requirement. make sure the sides are at least 5 feet high, too, and the more boards you can put on the better (the less a young horse can see out of it, the less likely the horse is to be distracted from YOU.) If you can tilt the posts outwards a little from the center of the pen, that is even better - that way, when you first back a green horse, the horse has less chance of bumping you into the fence.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
For just doing that, I recommend 60ft, which is how big mine is. Really once you get it up, and start using it, you'll notice how even at that size, there really isnt a whole lot of room! If you actually plan on getting on them in the round pen and riding, Id go for an 80ft. And build like Taelesean said. I never recommend the metal railing, as it is weak, has spaces too large, and its hard to find one that is tall enough. Plus being young, they could have a scary moment, crash into the railing, and break it, bend it or even hurt themselves! Plus I own stallions, so I need something quite a bit stronger when I turn them out in it, railing is like a peice of paper to them (well the younger not so experienced guys).

As far as height goes, a minimum of 5ft, but really 6-7ft is ideal. That way they dont get any silly ideas into their heads about jumping over, and cannot see over the top.

Good luck!

Brittany
Old 09-28-2005, 11:29 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Yep, I've had a 50 ft and a 60 ft. It was very hard for a horse to canter in the small one. Once they could lope it was not a problem.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:30 PM  
Halter broke

Maybe it's just me but I'd think gaps in the walls of the pen would be a good thing. First I gives you a way out incase your horse has a bit of a freak out and second if your horse doesn't ignore distractions and pay attention to you in the round pen it won't when you ride it. Especially common things like other horses.
ajairforce2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I have to agree with AJ. TxCowGrl likes the solid round pens, but I insisted that the one we are building isn't. I wanted a way to get out if necessary, also, I believe that if a horse has no distractions, then when you do get them out of the round pen, they are overly distracted. They need to learn to listen to you with distractions! Also, our round pen is 40'-45' (can't remember exactly ) But I really like it that size. We used to have one that was 80-90ft and it was too big! I did as much running as they did! (although sometimes I get a little dizzy turning around in those smaller circles) I guess it depends on if you're going to ride in the round pen too, or just work them there.
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:44 PM  
Started

We were thinking a 60 ft would be about right, we will ride them in the round pen a little at first. After that we have 425 acres here to take them out on! We also want it large enough that once both of our boys are riding without much assistance we can have room for them both to be in there together ( with supervision of coarse, they are 2 and 7).
Old 09-28-2005, 08:56 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestep
We were thinking a 60 ft would be about right, we will ride them in the round pen a little at first. After that we have 425 acres here to take them out on! We also want it large enough that once both of our boys are riding without much assistance we can have room for them both to be in there together ( with supervision of coarse, they are 2 and 7).
425 acres! Do you own the WHOLE state of Kentucky?
jyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:53 PM  
Started

Quote:
425 acres! Do you own the WHOLE state of Kentucky?

Afraid not, wish I did, then maybe I would have some money! No, I would probally be even more broke.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:36 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Hey mestep, sounds like you should host a Horsetopia weekend trail ride next spring, I'm in!!

Old 09-29-2005, 08:02 AM  
Started

Hey that is a great idea, joustinggirl! And for those that like to jump the Woodford Hounds (fox hunters) have opened a countless number of farms all around us they we could also ride!!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 PM  
Started

We have the heavy duty metal 60 foot round pen that is high. We had to have a very strong round pen for when we got our first two PMU weanlings as we were told that some could possibly go through anything that was not strong, just out of fear. It also gives a little if they do run into it so they couldn't get hurt as badly if it didn't give a little. It is tall. Not sure how tall but definately much higher than me. I'm 5' 1"

It has been a great tool for quarantine for the weanlings until they were yearlings (Their home for approx. 8 months).

It has been a great tool for ground work. Enough room to get out of their way if they got a bit ansy, and as others have said, large enough for them to canter/lope in.

It has been a great tool for ground driving them in and then lastly but not least, a great tool for starting them under saddle.

I love my round pen and it was worth it's weight in gold.

I don't know what I would have done without it. Anything smaller, I am sure would not have served it's purpose so affectively for what I needed it for.

Anne
annem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I also have the heavey duty metal round pen and I have had big horses crash into it and it has never tipped or moved much. The metal ones that everybody is so afraid of must be smaller and lighter than the ones we are using. My husband hit it with his truck and it didn't hurt it!

Old 09-30-2005, 06:54 AM  
Started

We are gonna definately do a 60 ft. round pen, we are leaning toward a vinyl plank 4 or possibly 5 rail. So that we can landscape around it, and also have a nice back drop for pictures!

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training