Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:36 AM  
Newborn Member

lazy horse bucks when asked to lope! HELP!!

HI, I HAVE A 4 YR OLD WP HORSE THAT IS SOOO LAZY THAT WHEN YOU ASK HIM TO LOPE HE WILL BUCK LIKE A BRONCO SOO HE WON'T HAVE TO DO IT. HE IS CALM AND GENTLE AND VERY LAID BACK, SOMETIMES HE WILL GO FOR MONTHS LOPING BEAUTIFULLY THAN BAM ONE DAY HE WILL GET ALL STUPED AND SUPER LAZY AGAIN AND I WILL HAVE A BUCKING BRONCO FOR A FEW WEEKS AGAIN, IS IT JUST HIS AGE? IS HE JUST TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH IT? PLEASE ANY SUGESTIONS???
Old 03-16-2005, 05:38 AM  
Kid Safe

First, what I would do is see if there is a pattern to his random bucking days. Any day that he bucks, circle it on a calendar. There may be some small trigger that is causing it.

Also, you might want to check him for areas of soreness. A sore horse could do what you describe. If on one day he's feeling better, he may not buck, then on days he feels worse, he does.

As far as him bucking out of laziness, I won't be much help. But those suggestions might help pinpoint if it is something besides being lazy.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:52 PM  
Halter broke

What happens when he bucks? Do you pull him up? He needs to be ridden through it, so he understands that bucking won't get him out of doing it. If you are uncomfortable riding a buck, find someone else to do it a few times. Keep your leg on tight and drive him forward. He may shoot forward rather fast, but you can always work on that once you've got the bucking under control.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 PM  
Newborn Member

The worst thing you can do when a horse bucks is to pull on the reins. A horse can't buck when they are ridden forward...when he starts to buck, kick him forward into a forward canter. I know its tough, goes against what our survival instincts in the saddle are, but he'll get over it if you make it clear that he has to work, he has to lope. He's at a stage where he'll try and test you if you'll let him.
That being said, I agree with above posts. There may be a physical reason as well. Feel along his back and sides for tender spots.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
I am assuming the horse is a gelding...

A good friend of mine also had a similar problem with her Arabian gelding. Do you have mares that are near or around him? The Arab my friend owns would act that way out of refusal because he wanted only to be with the mares when they were in season. There could be physical problems too. Since he is pretty young, 4yrs right? He may not have built up the muscles needed to carry you and move him forward at a lope. It can be very uncomfortable, not to mention difficult, for him if he doesnt have the proper strength needed. You may need to go back to ground work to help him out. I would definitely make sure there arent any conformational problems that would make it difficult for him to lope. Make sure your tack fits well and isnt pinching him. Check him for any soreness or lameness issues.

Ive also seen people use tires and tied them onto the sides of the saddle. Then lunged the horse with them on. Supposedly the tires get the horse used to things flopping, bagging and weight. Ive never personally done it. Then after the horse was not bucking or carrying on with those on, the person would then mount and go about their business training.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM  
Newborn Member

Thanks for all your suggestions, I did have a trainer and he also said to just ride it out that he is just trying to get out of working cause he is very lazy, he is sound and has no health issues, he is just very lazy and trying to get away with it, cause I had let him get away with it at first and put him up after cause I did'nt want to deal with it or get thrown off. Soo he will get in these bucking spurts every soo often. thanks !!!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 AM  
Started

I had a 4 year old gelding that did this too.
Same thing he was real laid back and lazy.
The trainer had me lunge him and then we worked him on the rail at the trot. Every time he cut a corner or attempted to buck she had me use the outside rein and put him into the wall. A couple of times like that he knocked it off. We moved up to the lope and did it the same way.
After 3 weeks of this he was fine-even on the trail. If I felt he was going to try it, I would just disengage his hindquarters.

He turned out to be the best horse I ever owned, sad thing is he died 5 months later.

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training