Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM  
Halter broke

Hackamore or Bit...

I am in the process of purchasing a yearling colt and am looking ahead a couple of years to when I will be able to start him. I'm just curious what everyone uses when they start a horse? I have a rubber mouthed snaffle d-ring that I will be using for ground driving and stuff like that, but when it comes to actually starting him under saddle should I use a regular snaffle, or a hackamore?

My goals are to do either reining or barrels with this little guy. Reining I would use a bit, so I'm thinking a regular snaffle for under saddle work. Barrel horses a lot of them wear hackamores, so that would be nifty for him to know how to use.

I have never used a hackamore so I'm not positive even how they would work for training/starting a horse. I'm at a loss of information, especially hands on information and knowledge, so any input would help.

Thanks!!!

*~*Jaspers Rocky Top*~*
RaeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

I generally do the initial bitting with a snaffle. It's an easy bit for the most part and a good precursor to moving on to a curb before going double-bridle.

A hackamore of the mechanical type is good for preparing a horse for a curb bit.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 AM  
Halter broke

Thank you for that! I have no experience with ha kamores so i want sure what ii would be better of starting with

*~*Jaspers Rocky Top*~*
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
One can use either a snaffle or a hackamore , or a sidepull, with that hackamore term used to mean bosal
If you are already bitting the horse by ground driving, really don't see why you would wish to use a bosal to start under saddle work, esp if you are not familiar with using one
I would nix the rubber mouth, as rubber dries a mouth. Also,jr western horses are ridden, shown and trained mostly in an O ring
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM  
Halter broke

Thanks Smilie
I would have used hackamore/bosal if it would be better for him to learn it from the get go. I am willing to find someone around me that would teach me how to correctly use one also, so that wouldn't be an issue. I am planning on ground driving with a d ring snaffle, i don't have an o ring, but I have heard that the rubber mouth is better for a young horse. you say that it dries the mouth out, I can definitely see where that would happen. I hadn't thought of that with the rubber mouth.

Thanks for the input, it has been greatly appreciated!!!

*~*Jaspers Rocky Top*~*

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training