Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 05:03 PM  
Started

How to prevent pulling while on the lunge line?

Hello all!!!

We have a round pen at the barn, so I'm always lazy about lunging and I throw Twister in the round pen and let her free lunge around me.

However, the other day, I decided I wanted to teach her to lunge on a line rather than just free lunging. I've never taught a horse to do this.

My question is, she did okay, but she was pulling on the rope alot. Obviously, she is stronger than me and I'm not much interested to get in a tug of war with her!!! Any suggestions on how to teach her not to do this?
Thanks!

6 Year Member
BornToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:43 PM  
Pasture Pet

Sometimes it takes them some time to understand the limitations of the lunge line and it takes a few goes for them to get it. As long as the horse understands how to give to pressure when being led, and you are lunging correctly (sending the horse forward and not pushing it out) it should catch on quickly. I stick to walk/trot until the horse is keeping a nice even contact on the lunge.

If the horse is leaning on the lunge, then the answer is to not give it something to lean on...use give and take pressure to show her to balance up on her own, just like you would with the reins when riding.
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Right, don't let a horse lean on the end of the lunge line anymore than you would let them lean on a bit.There should be slack in the lunge line. When the horse leans, give a sharp tug,then expect them to leave slack in the line
Some horses that have learned to pull away, I lunge with a chain run under the chin-same deal, expect slack in the line, correct with one tug and then make sure that the chain is attached so that as soon as the horse gives, there is total release of any chain pressure also
Depends on the horse, how 'strong you have to get, but you never want a horse to learn that they can pull away, nor should lunging consist of a horse doing whatever he wishes at the end of that line
Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 PM  
Long Yearling

I agree with the above.

One thing a trainer showed me once was ever time my horse didnt listen to me or was disrespectful they had me change the direction of the horse on the lunge line.

They showed me to pull into the ground/by m hip, pulling the horses head inward then drive the horse out by thier shoulders in the opposite direction.

I found it worked for my guy, he sure got the point quick when she did it to him! lol Cus she made him work allot harder on the end of the lunge line than I did!

LittleJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:22 PM  
Bombproof Member

You could also try using a rope halter on her.
The little knots on the halter will put pressure on her face in particular spots.
If she leans, give a quick slight tug, when she feels those knots,
she won't be as apt to try and lean on it.

Horses are so forgiving. ~ Tom Dorrance
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training