Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 PM  
Newborn Member

My Horse is Scared of the Pasture! Help!

I have a 4 year old Mustang/QH who was gelded as a 3year old. He is a very sweet boy with one big problem... He refuses t let me lead him around the pasture without spooking and acting like an idiot. In the front of my pasture I have a shed where he will stand when it is hot. He has his water trough and feed troughs there also so I understand that the front of the pasture is the place to be. The only other occupant in the 11 acre pasture is a small 8month old donkey and these guys are 2 peas in a pod.
One day I was going to take a walk around the border of the pasture and check the fence for fallen trees. I figured it would be a good time to bond with my big guy so I put a lead rope on him and set off. I get half way around the pasture and he immediately throws his head up like there is a bear standing around somewhere (I live in mid. Ga, no bears here!) and he starts getting spooky, blowing out of his nose and running around in circles and trying to pull me back to the front of the pasture. His companion, the donkey was right beside him, but just standing, not making any ruckuss or being spooky at all.
I have atttempted to lead him around the pasture before, and it always ends up the same. BUT. This has happened with other horses that I have kept in there. I know there is nothing in the pasture that can hurt my horses so why do they act so afraid of it? Is there anything that I can do to help them realize that there is nothing that is going to get them? They will graze in the back of the pasture but they won't walk with me back there... They will follow me around the front of the pasture like puppy dogs but when I begin to walk away from the front they refuse to follow me any further.. AHHH! I don't know what to do. Do I need to fence off the front and make them live in the back until they are ok with it?
amberdarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM  
Bombproof Member

If you usually take one route why not try going along the fence the other way? Use a knotted halter and maybe a long line, at least 12' long. When he gets to "that spot" and wants to fuss try standing quietly until he's done with his shenanigans then ask him to walk forward again. The shed is his safe area and he may feel he's getting too far away.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM  
Newborn Member

And what should I do if he pulls me back towards the front? He also tries to run me over (this is my fault for not teaching him to respect my space)..
Old 06-20-2011, 03:52 PM  
Yearling Member

How long have you had him? As his respect for and trust in you grows, this issue should go away. He's jumpy because he's looking out for himself. As he comes to look to you more, rather than feel he must take care of himself, he will not be so jumpy.

If you're not sure what to do to increase the respect and trust (must be both), those would be good questions to ask.

In addition to the respect and trust (those are the big issues) you can do a lot of circling. Head away from the "safe" area, then before he gets worried, circle back towards it. Keep doing this, gradually getting closer to the scary places.

Last edited by mathteacher678 : 06-20-2011 at 03:55 PM.
mathteacher678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdarity View Post
And what should I do if he pulls me back towards the front? He also tries to run me over (this is my fault for not teaching him to respect my space)..
Then perhaps now is the perfect opportunity. Grab a lunge line and lunge whip and make him do circles until he calms down. Push him away and make him work if he is hogging up your space.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteacher678 View Post
How long have you had him? As his respect for and trust in you grows, this issue should go away. He's jumpy because he's looking out for himself. As he comes to look to you more, rather than feel he must take care of himself, he will not be so jumpy.

If you're not sure what to do to increase the respect and trust (must be both), those would be good questions to ask.

In addition to the respect and trust (those are the big issues) you can do a lot of circling. Head away from the "safe" area, then before he gets worried, circle back towards it. Keep doing this, gradually getting closer to the scary places.
I've had him since he was born. I admit I haven't always been there like I should have but I worked with him daily the 1st entire year of his life and he hasn't forgotten it. He is 4 and I haven't had time to break him (I'm currently out of state) but I can sit on him without worry that he will hurt me (haven't had the time to pursue the process any further, just found out a month ago when I came home for vacation that I could sit on him - he doesn't even act like I'm there).. I have a lot of trust in him but I know his insticts take over when he's afraid of those invisible ghosts lol. When I move back home I will be able to work with him daily again to increase our respect / trust issues. But thanks for all the help. Continue to post helpful info.. I love to learn what I can.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 PM  
Coming two

Are there power lines overhead. My horses were in a pasture once where they would not go past (under) the power lines to get to even better grazing.
Just my two cents.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1962 View Post
Are there power lines overhead. My horses were in a pasture once where they would not go past (under) the power lines to get to even better grazing.
Just my two cents.
No, there are no power lines but I've experienced the same on a horse farm I used to work on. Every time we got around the lines the horses would get ancy/nervous and act up.. But thanks

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training