Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM  
Newborn Member

What to do when a horse pins his ears back at you and tried to kick you?

I just bought a huge Tennessee Walker Yesterday .He is about 16.2h and he is 8 years old . I bought that horse from an auction .He was nice and friendly .After i brought him home me and my wife tried to mess with him and then he pins his ears back at us .He did not let us to touch him at all .He was just moving all over the place ! We tried again today to mess with his and he was kinda better than yesterday .And i asked one of my neighbors to check him and tell me if he is a good or bad horse .He said its a very good horse .And that guy has a lot of experience with horses . At night i was walking him around for a while and he was kinda happy .I gave him some hay and stuff and i tried to brush him while he was eating .And then he pins his ears back at me i tried and i tried and he was doing the same thing .And then he kicked my leg with his front leg I'm not sure if its the right word or Forearm is the right word .After more than 2 hours i tried with him again and i tried to give him a treat .He did not even eat that treat and he pins his ears back at me and he tried to kick me several times again with his front leg ( or with his Forearm ).
I'm not sure if i bought a bad horse Espc i don't have any experience with horse .And that's my first horse .I don't know if that guy that i bought that horse from him gave him drugs or something to calm him down .And know i see the real of that horse .
I'm not sure if he is scared cause its a new place and new people for him or he is really a problem horse .
BTW i tight him to a tree since yesterday until i get my fence done tomorrow. and i just walked him around for a while maybe for 30 min.
Can you please tell me what to do ? Is there anything i can do to stop him doing that ? Do i have to give him a chance since its a new place and new people form him or just get rid of him ?
tenderheart1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 AM  
Long Yearling

So you have little to no experience with horses and you bought an unknown horse at an auction? And you have him tied to a tree?

Couple issues here but they can all be fixed rather quickly and easily. Get rid of the horse and get lessons first before you buy another. You have alot to learn about horses!

Sorry to sound harsh but if you have no experience don't go buying a horse without lessons!
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM  
Weanling Member

This is not a beginner friendly horse. Not when he is kicking at you. Sell him.
Usually I tell people to work with a new horse and they can be scared in a new place. But No beginner safe horse kicks at new people. He is trying to intimidate you. You need experience you don't have to deal with him. Sell and see if an experienced friend can help you find a horse.
If you are going to be handling him have your friend come back over and show you how to handle the kicking issue before the horse starts trying to do more than just kick you.
krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM  
Pasture Pet

I agree with CindyF; sounds like something you are doing is confusing and annoying the horse so he is telling you to stay away. Body language is a very strong form of communication with horses, and if you are walking around him in ways you don't realize may come across as rude or agressive, of course he is going to get defensive.

I dearly hope your horse has water and the ability to lay down and get out of the sun tied to a tree.

Good luck.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM  
Newborn Member

Well i bought this horse for me and for my wife .She has very good experience with horses .She used to deal with horses since she was 9 .She told me it would be better if we buy a horse so she can teach me about horses .Maybe she was thinking its better to have your own horse.
That horse is really huge he is about 16.2h and my wife is about 5.6f .Sometimes i feel like she is scared from that horse or at least she is nervous .
I really don't know if i did the right or the wrong thing ? I called that guy that i bought this horse from him .And i told him about the horse pins his ears back .And he tried to kick me with his front leg .. he says the horse never pinned his ears back before ,never kicked or even tried to kick anyone ...
I told him i guess we will be scared to even think about riding this horse .He says just put a saddle on him and ride him .He will not do anything to you .
He says you just bought the horse 3 days ago so that's a new place and new people for him .
Do i have to give him a chance ? Or just get rid of him ?
I really am so sad
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM  
Weanling Member

What do you mean you tied him to a tree? This could be the problem. Is he tied real close to it or on a long line? Really close can cause a sore neck and a scared horse because he cant defend himself against anything such as dogs or other horses that might come by. Also if he is on a long line he can get it wrapped around his legs and that can cause him to fall and be SERIOUSLY hurt. He needs water 24/7 and at least 2 leafs of hay in the morning AND then again at night. Probably a little more. Dont grain him if he is just standing around. You need to find a vet in case you ever have an emergency. Start calling around to make sure you can get one that will drive to your area. Emergencies happen!
Please have someone come out and explain feeding, shelter, and how to safely handle this horse to you.
krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post
I agree with CindyF; sounds like something you are doing is confusing and annoying the horse so he is telling you to stay away. Body language is a very strong form of communication with horses, and if you are walking around him in ways you don't realize may come across as rude or agressive, of course he is going to get defensive.

I dearly hope your horse has water and the ability to lay down and get out of the sun tied to a tree.

Good luck.

Karen
I tied him to that tree until i get my fence done .And i going to get my fence done this week .I walk him around everyday .And my wife work with him everyday as well .

He has everything he needs .He has water,hay,salt.....and he is not under the sun at all .He is in shade area .
Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM  
Long Yearling

I am sad for you and the horse! Horses are so much more complex than people realize. They size each other up through body language. This big horse has "sized" you up and you are underneath him in his eyes. I feel he will become more dangerous for you to handle. You need to sell this horse, fix your fence, and find a stable, with a good reputation. Go there, ask for help. The BO or instructor would help you find a suitable horse for a small fee. Horses can and do kill people everyday. Good Luck. I am not trying to sound mean...
susanspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
What do you mean you tied him to a tree? This could be the problem. Is he tied real close to it or on a long line? Really close can cause a sore neck and a scared horse because he cant defend himself against anything such as dogs or other horses that might come by. Also if he is on a long line he can get it wrapped around his legs and that can cause him to fall and be SERIOUSLY hurt. He needs water 24/7 and at least 2 leafs of hay in the morning AND then again at night. Probably a little more. Dont grain him if he is just standing around. You need to find a vet in case you ever have an emergency. Start calling around to make sure you can get one that will drive to your area. Emergencies happen!
Please have someone come out and explain feeding, shelter, and how to safely handle this horse to you.
Not so close to the tree .Not on a long line either .He has enough line to move around the tree .That line is not so long so it wont wrapped around his legs .
He has all what he needs hay,water,salt and grain .I just tied him to that tree until i get my fence done .And i will get get it done this week .I walk him around everyday .and my wife work with him everyday for almost an hour .He is not under the sun .He is in shade area .There is no dogs or other horses around him .

Do you think that i have to give him a chance or just get rid of him ?
I was thinking he is acting like that cause maybe he does not like to be tied to that tree and i don't blame him .

Last edited by tenderheart1979 : 04-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderheart1979 View Post
Not so close to the tree .Not on a long line either .He has enough line to move around the tree .That line is not so long so it wont wrapped around his legs .
He has all what he needs hay,water,salt and grain .I just tied him to that tree until i get my fence done .And i will get get it done this week .I walk him around everyday .and my wife work with him everyday for almost an hour .He is not under the sun .He is in shade area .There is no dogs or other horses around him .

I'm sorry but if your wife really has any true experience with horses she would know better than to leave a horse tied to a tree. Let alone for DAYS?! I really hope that the horse dosn't get hurt. Please get the fence fixed NOW and then get a PROFFESIONAL in to help you and your wife learn how to work with the horse if you plan to keep it.
MustangKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 AM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

You can't tie a horse to a tree for a week. That is crazy. Do you have a neighbour with a paddock or something he can stay in until you get your fence done? How much land do you intend to keep him on once the fence is done? Do you intend to keep him alone, he's probably not doing well without protection of his herd? Perhaps there is a boarding facility in your area where you can do short term board and take some lessons until you have the proper knowledge and facilities to care for him at home?
aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM  
Long Yearling

OMG you have no business buying a horse and tieing it to a darn tree. Horses need to MOVE around to not only stay sound of mind but of body to. Horses need to move in order to digest food. Get rid of the horse asap and you and your wife need to learn more about horses before you buy! Around here if I saw a horse tied to a darn tree I'd be turning you in for cruelty charges especially if it's longer than a few minutes.
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM  
Weanling Member

Definitely, you should get rid of this horse. First, you don't have enough experience to have a difficult horse. Second, and most importantly, you cannot keep a horse tied to a tree. He needs a fence now! Find this horse a new home before both you and the horse get hurt.
Foxtrotter0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKatie View Post
I'm sorry but if your wife really has any true experience with horses she would know better than to leave a horse tied to a tree. Let alone for DAYS?! I really hope that the horse dosn't get hurt. Please get the fence fixed NOW and then get a PROFFESIONAL in to help you and your wife learn how to work with the horse if you plan to keep it.
She really doesn't like the horse being tied to a tree like that at all .I'm so confused cause i really don't know if i should keep the horse or just get rid of him ? He is so beautiful and very healthy horse .But at the same time im scared to get hurt by that horse .
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotter0721 View Post
Definitely, you should get rid of this horse. First, you don't have enough experience to have a difficult horse. Second, and most importantly, you cannot keep a horse tied to a tree. He needs a fence now! Find this horse a new home before both you and the horse get hurt.

I agree!

There's more to life than horses ----- but NOT much!

Valerie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aes View Post
You can't tie a horse to a tree for a week. That is crazy. Do you have a neighbour with a paddock or something he can stay in until you get your fence done? How much land do you intend to keep him on once the fence is done? Do you intend to keep him alone, he's probably not doing well without protection of his herd? Perhaps there is a boarding facility in your area where you can do short term board and take some lessons until you have the proper knowledge and facilities to care for him at home?
Yeah i was thinking about that .one of my neighbor has more than 3 or 4 acres .So maybe i will keep the horse there until i get my fence done this week .I have about 1 acre for that horse .Yeah we are planning to buy another horse for my wife .
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

You're GOING to get hurt. It's only a matter of time. I am also new to horses. I found a boarding/lesson barn. I took lessons for a year. I then had my coach help me find a suitable horse. I took horses on trial for weeks, I didn't just buy one at an auction. Different levels of riders need different types of horses. It is like finding a spouse, it takes time. I still ride my horse in lessons once a week. She is boarded with knowledgeable people who are there to help me, because there is A LOT to know. I read everything I can get my hands on, and did so before I bought her. I have a veterinarian on speed dial if ANYTHING happens to her.

You seem to have good intentions, but you are abusing this horse right now. What you are doing is NOT OKAY.

If you are graining this horse, not feeding or watering it properly, and not letting it move around properly, it may very well colic, or try to get away from that tree and get hurt (I'm guessing you don't know how to tie a proper release knot), any number of things could happen here.

You need to get off the computer and get this horse out of this situation within the next five minutes.
aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM  
Yearling Member

I have to say that tying a horse to a tree for several days is cruel. It's simply not acceptable, and could be illegal depending on the laws in your area. I would either figure out a way to make a smaller pasture right now, or take him somewhere immediately where he can be turned loose. I really do mean immediately-that's terrible. I'd kick you if you kept me tied for several days, too.

The horse may be beginner friendly and may be a great horse...but tying him to a tree for days on end is probably pushing him over the edge...and rightfully so, in my opinion. Horses are also herd animals, and he's probably freaked out being in a new place, without any other horses, and no ability to move, scratch an itch, or relax.

Normally, I do try to only comment on the original question, but in this case, I'm too horrified to to even think about what you should do when he pins his ears, because I think he's actually responding appropriately!

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderheart1979 View Post
She really doesn't like the horse being tied to a tree like that at all .I'm so confused cause i really don't know if i should keep the horse or just get rid of him ? He is so beautiful and very healthy horse .But at the same time im scared to get hurt by that horse .
It seems to me that if you are that afraid of the horse you should probably ask the old owner if they would take it back. Because with the way it is acting with you if you try to sell it to someone else it may as well end up going through an auction again and then who knows mabye to slaughter. IF you want to keep him that badly the first thing you need to do is find somewhere to keep him (a boarding stable) until your fence is done. He simply CANNOT stay tied to the tree, and that is probably not helping his overall attitude right now. Then you need to find a proffesional to give you lessons on a nice quiet horse and then have them work with you, your wife and your horse. And then see where it goes from there..

If your not willing to do all that, call up the fomer owner and ask them to take the horse back.
MustangKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM  
Yearling Member

Why would you buy a horse without having the proper facilities in which to keep it?

I have a hard time believing this story you are spinning.
Ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training