Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Trail Riding
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM  
Coming two

Riding in the PA Grand Canyon

Well, I bit the bullet today and did something I have always wanted to do. We loaded up our horses and went on a trail ride at the PA Grand Canyon. Since I lack skill and courage this was a BIG step for me. It is a shared trail 1/2 bike and 1/2 horses. We went out about 5 or 6 miles and turned back. The path runs along the river the whole way. We crossed 2 wooden bridges, went under an overpass, met bicycles, walkers, and dogs. One couple had a snarling pit bull but even that didn't phase my Shiloh. She was great for the most part and it really helped my confidence. On the way back we saw people in canoes and fishermen in the river. I took some pictures (although that's hard to do on a moving horse).

Here is the link if anyone wants to see the scenery:

http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/v...ide%204-11-10/

No mountain is too tall to climb if the first step is belief in oneself.
3horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM  
Bombproof Member

What an exciting day for you I am so happy that you got the courage and went a nice trail ride Seems like Shiloh took good care of you Beautiful pictures too

Last edited by BarnBum : 04-11-2010 at 05:59 PM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM  
Started

Lucky you! It was a beautiful day for a ride and it looks like you had a great one. Congratulations!!

I went to the PA Grand Canyon a few years ago .... rode our bikes from south of Pittsburgh, up to Route 6 and across the state. Beautiful country ... for Pennsylvania.

There's more to life than horses ----- but NOT much!

Valerie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
My daughter used to live in Wellsboro and every time I would visit I would go to the canyon. I have always wanted to ride it. I think it's a beautifull place to see. I just wish there were some overnight facilities for the LQ. I would go in a heart beat.....
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingiz View Post
My daughter used to live in Wellsboro and every time I would visit I would go to the canyon. I have always wanted to ride it. I think it's a beautifull place to see. I just wish there were some overnight facilities for the LQ. I would go in a heart beat.....
There was a group of people tht spent the night just above the trail head at an Inn. They had their horses in portable electric fencing. I believe they have fencing at the Coach Stop Inn in Ansonia also or allow portable fencing and provide water. I know there is a group ride leaving from there later in the season. At one point they are riding the West Rim of the Canyon.
This was a nice flat ride along an old railroad bed which was good for early in the year since the horses aren't in shape and neither am I. I enjoyed being out though.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 AM  
Coming two

Some pics from the ride...

Court and Satin starting out...notice the smile (on a teenager, no less!). You can see the river that runs along the whole trail in this pic.

Trail beginning (left half is for bikes, right half is for horses)

Some scenery...

beginning of trail ride...

Cabin across the river from the trail...

Large bird in tree that caught everyone's attention...

Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM  
Pasture Pet

I am sooo glad it turned out well for you, beautiful scenery and just as beautiful a confidence boost. Good job for both you and Shiloh, huh? Awww, that just makes my day Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 AM  
Coming two

Thanks Version! It's the first time we have ever had 2 horses on our trailer to go anywhere...the first time my daughter and I have rode together away from home.
It was a good day. I would do it again but not with a crowd. Maybe just the two of us. Our horses were good some of the other people, not so easy going.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM  
Weanling Member

Did a 3 day trail ride with Mountain Trail Horse Center, a few years back in a hurricane, no less, They took care of us 100%. Had a great time!
Very nice scenery, well worth going.

Glad that you had a good time!

Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 AM  
Coming two

Comfort, I have considered that 3 day ride myself. Now that I have a calm ridable horse I will give it some more thought.
I really want to go back over and ride in the fall when the leaves change.

Even as cool as it was on Sunday that little flies and gnats were out around the horses' faces. They were shaking their heads but I couldn't blame them for that. Everything else went well and I was happy about that. Not only did it give me some confidence but it gave my daughter some confidence in her pony. She oftens says "Satin doesn't like that" or "Satin will freak out at that" but she found out that her pony handled everything quite well. The only thing Satin doesn't like is to be pinned in a group of horses. Maybe she's claustrophobic.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 AM  
Weanling Member

Yeah, 3horses, I have a OTTB - he's the one in my avatar that I was told he "doesn't" go out on trails.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll, I took him out last fall and he was THE BOMB! I had the most awesome canter, I ever had on a horse and he was very careful with his foot placement. Now of course since we went out he doesn't like going around the ring. LOL!!

So maybe some more trail rides and your daughter will feel more comfortable going out.
Have Fun!

Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3horses View Post
There was a group of people tht spent the night just above the trail head at an Inn. They had their horses in portable electric fencing. I believe they have fencing at the Coach Stop Inn in Ansonia also or allow portable fencing and provide water. I know there is a group ride leaving from there later in the season. At one point they are riding the West Rim of the Canyon.
This was a nice flat ride along an old railroad bed which was good for early in the year since the horses aren't in shape and neither am I. I enjoyed being out though.

Hmmm I have stayed at the Coach Stop Inn...never knew they would aallow that...DANG!!! I know there is also a campground up there that can accomadate 5 spots. You have a mile to ride along the road before you get to the trail head. I can't remember the name of it....Let me search.....
Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 AM  
Coming two

Mingiz, see if this helps...These are directions for a ride that a group has planned...I know the people that rode Sunday spent the night there camping and had their horses in portable electric fencing. I saw the fencing when I turned around there (I missed the turn )

June 12, 2010 - PA Grand Canyon, camping is available behind the Ansonia Inn on the corner of Rt. 6 and West Rim Road. Water is available and hitching posts. You can have really good meals at the Ansonia Inn while you are there camping also.

PA Grand Canyon, Ansonia Inn Parking follow the directions as above for the shared use trail but continue on Rt. 6 past the turn after the bridge to the first road to the left. There are signs for West Rim Road. Ansonia Inn is on this corner. Parking is behind the restaurant/bar. Free camping and please help patronize the restaurant by planning to eat there.

ETA:

Here's another ride that I keep hearing I shouldn't miss...This is a State Forest so I would think there would be camping available there.

June 18, 19, 20, 2010 Susquehannock State Forest Mountain Laurel Ride.

Last edited by 3horses : 04-15-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM  
Yearling Member

That is a gorgeous area! I rode my bike there back in October, 2005 and had a wonderful time, even though we had to ride in between rain storms.

I would LOVE to ride a horse there.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Mingiz, see if this helps...These are directions for a ride that a group has planned...I know the people that rode Sunday spent the night there camping and had their horses in portable electric fencing. I saw the fencing when I turned around there (I missed the turn )

June 12, 2010 - PA Grand Canyon, camping is available behind the Ansonia Inn on the corner of Rt. 6 and West Rim Road. Water is available and hitching posts. You can have really good meals at the Ansonia Inn while you are there camping also.

PA Grand Canyon, Ansonia Inn Parking follow the directions as above for the shared use trail but continue on Rt. 6 past the turn after the bridge to the first road to the left. There are signs for West Rim Road. Ansonia Inn is on this corner. Parking is behind the restaurant/bar. Free camping and please help patronize the restaurant by planning to eat there.

ETA:

Here's another ride that I keep hearing I shouldn't miss...This is a State Forest so I would think there would be camping available there.

June 18, 19, 20, 2010 Susquehannock State Forest Mountain Laurel Ride.

Thanks for the info. I have a ride already planned for those dates .Maybe next year... If you do happen to go would you find out a POC for these rides...? Thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have a ride already planned for those dates .Maybe next year... If you do happen to go would you find out a POC for these rides...? Thanks
POC?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
POC?
Oh sorry been working for the navy to long POC =point of contact....
Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Oh sorry been working for the navy to long POC =point of contact....

lmao...got it...obviously not a military person here

Here is the link to the riding club and their contacts...

http://twintiertrailriders2009.tripod.com/id3.html

Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM  
Newborn Member

The pictures are pretty, too bad it wasn't a sunny day out. I have a friend that rides up there all the time, maybe the four of us could go up there one day and ride, so you aren't to terribly lonely, haha.

I promise we won't sandwhich poor satin,
navajo_moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Trail Riding