Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Is King a decent saddle brand???

I am looking at a King saddle is that a good brand? It looks nice

This is it

Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM  
Yearling Member

They seem to be decent cheapies. My daughter has a 10" pink & black cordura that we like. It puts her in a good position and has a deep seat, but then, she only rides maybe twice a week if we're lucky, so no idea how it would hold up to hard use.
My step brother had a King brand leather saddle. He sold it because it just didn't fit anything he had. Too narrow of a tree. I know who has it now. It's light weight, but wouldn't hold up to close inspection. From a distance, they look fine.
Why may I ask, do you want a black saddle? They are not really the current style.
reiningfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM  
Seasoned

Do you mean Saddle King? If yes, I had a saddle made by them. It was decent. Mine was synthetic though.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM  
Yearling Member

Also, the "silver" on them is Cheap. Really hard to keep looking nice.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 PM  
Greenbroke Member

we want black cause that is what we like and what will "match" the horse best....
Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 PM  
Yearling Member

I was only asking about color because due to it's being out of style, it will be harder to find good ones in black. It also affects resale value. But a saddle in the lower price ranges don't tend to hold value all that well no matter what color they are.
Is your daughter planning on showing in open or 4-H shows? Have you put up wanted ads at the local barns/tack shops?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM  
Yearling Member

I had a saddle king barrel saddle for 9 odd years....best and most comfortable saddle I ever owned. I had to sell it. But it was an older model, all leather.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM  
Bombproof Member

I don't see the question about what the tree is made of. If fiberglass, it's subject to breakage with normal riding. The cheap imports usually don't fit either the horse or the rider. You get what you pay for. Black saddles are coming in to vogue again altho not real popular just yet but the saddle companies are running out of ideas and we'll start to see some changes away from the lighter colored leathers.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM  
Greenbroke Member

She shows in 4H as well as local shows and a local circuit--if that is what you want to call
I love the black look(my saddle is black)--and so does she. Her other 2 saddles are light oil. we are tryign to sell one of them and I have a little to put with it but it is not a name brand saddle so won't go for a ton. The local tack shop will give me $250 in trade so thats what I will probably do. BUT I only have about $200 more to put with it which won't buy a new name brand saddle. Like I said I am trying to sell it outright but so far nope. And even though its not a name brand saddle my daughter loves it--it fits her good and her other horse good but not the pony. The other light oil saddle we have also fits her other horse good and is a 16" seat so we are keeping that so I can ride her too--if we can keep her sound.
Not in a super hurry BUT she really needs to stop using the other saddle it is too tight for the pony--
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 AM  
Seasoned

My friend gave me her's the other day. Its synthetic with some leather. Its a few years old and is in great shape. Personally I like them. It fits good and is light, which I need right now. Easy to clean as well. I would get it if it were me. JMO.. They seem to hold up nice. They have the saddle sets in Country Supply. Comes with the bridle, reins, (bit is a cheapie) but very reasonably priced.

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 AM  
Yearling Member

Do you have your other saddle posted on the tack swap? That might help get rid of it. Plus, advertise it anywhere you can find to do it for free. I know you need to get her a new saddle because the current one she has does not fit, but it would be better to wait and get one that will last.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I have it posted everywhere
Still on the fence about this saddle... I kinda like it and it seems so far there were more people saying they are decent than not .So I am goign to show her and see what she thinks

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment