Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 01:51 PM  
Long Yearling

front riser pad placement?

I have a wintec a/p saddle with cair and adjustable gullet. I am pretty sure we have the right gullet in because of sweat pattern and it feels like even pressure. When I ride I feel like I am always tipping forward and it is hard to stay balanced. I have a front rise pad but am wondering exactly where you put it. It is made by wintec and when I set it on the horse and then the saddle on top it feels like there is a sharp drop off at the edge on the saddle pad that could cause discomfort and it doesn't really sit under the gullet? if I wedge it up into the gullet it sits better under the bars and gullet and ends where with a drop off still that is higher than the first placement, there isn't direct pressure only from where my leg hangs down. So where do I put the pad or is there a better type of pad to use? I am much more balanced with the riser pad in place and don't feel like I am falling forward all the time.
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:09 PM  
Bombproof Member

It sounds like the gullet is too wide Have you tried it more narrow? Does your horse have a down hill back which can make your saddle feel tipped forward. The front of the riser pad should sit within an inch in front of the padding on the points. Do you have a pic of the horse's back, rump to withers. Have the horse standing square. This may help with what's going on with your saddle.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM  
Long Yearling

When you say rump to withers you mean stand at the back and take a picture to the front not from the side? She isn't a particularly down hill horse but is very wide with a round barrel. Every saddle I have put on slides side to side no matter what you do.

This is her without the saddle, it makes her look almost up hill which she definately isn't

This is more acurate but hard to see because her head is turned

Here is the saddle on my horse with no pad

sorry this one refuses to go smaller and rotate maybe someone else can fix it...

With the riser pad

Sitting the way the white pad sits on its own

Pushed up into the gullet

Is the riser supposed to go lower than than?

Last edited by mlh619 : 08-19-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM  
Bombproof Member

OK, the riser pad is out. Your saddle is sitting too high at the back as it appears you have a fairly good fit in front. I'm not sure you'll be able to continue with this saddle as it's well padded under the cantle and sitting high on her broad back. A wool flocked saddle could have that adjusted. If you get a chance to try different saddles (begged and borrowed) you'll want the pommel head to be the same height as the cantle otherwise you will not be able to ride centered.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM  
Long Yearling

So I can't use this saddle? Everyone tells me that these saddles tend to look perched on a horse until you sit in them and the air panels adjust to you and the horse. I have tried 3 saddles on her and they all seem to be either too narrow or the don't fit front to back (too much rock). What type of saddle would you recommend? I am having a really hard time finding anything that fits!

Last edited by mlh619 : 08-20-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via AIM to Thunderz Gurlz Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderz Gurlz
How does it fit with just a plain saddle pad?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM  
Kid Safe

I'm going to agree with Slim, it sounds like the gullet is too wide. Wintec saddles tend to flatten a little once you get on. You may need to get a half increment gullet, or slightly bend one yourself.

Does your saddle have the adjustable Y-girth? If it does, tighten that a little bit and see if that doesn't tip the saddle back a bit.

You can also adjust the fit of your saddle with Moleskin and self-adhesive felt, but you would have to use a pad all the time if you do that.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 PM  
Long Yearling

It has the 3 straps and I usually put it on the 2 outside ones, I will try the med wide in the next couple days and see how it goes!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment