Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2008, 01:34 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
side pull or hack?

I'm trying to find something bitless for jake. He's pretty laid back and easy going so nothing harsh. Also he has a really small head so it needs to come pretty small (like arab size).

Anyone know where I should look aorund?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:36 PM  
Started

You just want something to break him in, I assume?

Why not just use a rope halter?
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:45 PM  
Bombproof Member

He is being started in a rope halter. He's had a bit in his mouth but I prefer to ride without a bit so I'm looking for something "long term" if that makes sense?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 PM  
Kid Safe

I adore side-pulls, I would use nothing else if I could get away with it. I love them for trail riding for sure!!!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 PM  
Seasoned

Side pull's are good for starting colts or for the already broke, easy going horse. But they can tear up a horses' nose and press on the nerves if you pull hard. If you decide to use one, put some vet-wrap around the waxed nose band so it doesnt cause any problems. Rope halters are good too as mentioned. Just remember on a side pull your reins are connected on the rings, kinda like using a snaffle bit and a hackamore since there is a bit of a shank to it, direct reining is kind of difficult. I use a side pull on my TB mare as she doesnt need a bit.

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:54 PM  
Weanling Member

i use a side pull for my paso mare. I know that it is for training, she is broke to ride but loves it. She hates to have a bit in her mouth and this works best. So i would say its what ever you prefer. I found my sidepull at a reasonalbe price on ebay.

home 2 1/2 arabs & 1 quarter paint mare
kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:56 PM  
Kid Safe

Go to www.horse.com , Country Supply. They have a Side Pull with a 1" wide ribbed cotton noseband, no rope across the nose. Item # WVA10.

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM  
Started

My experience with side-pulls hasn't been great. I just can't get any "feel," flexion, collection, or lift with one. I prefer a hackamore for long-term riding.....especially the Little S hack. Have you looked into a bosal?
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM  
Coming two

Since you are just starting him, I would go with the side pull.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:28 PM  
Bombproof Member

Well, really I thought about a side pull but the stiff nose is what had me kinda "iffy"...

He's ridding some now, and doing his one rien stops fine in a rope halter, so I wanted something still soft like the rope halter but more stable for longer trips out if that makes sense?

I'm gonna check out the cotton nosed on at horse.com and see what it's like.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:51 PM  
Weanling Member

My hubby rides my filly in a sidepull. I just looped some vet wrap over the nose and its great. Works great for hubby, as he is learning to ride and I didn't want him to tear up her mouth with a bit.
10 yr old German Shepherd "Rocky", and
7 yr old Ragdoll "Princeton"
dustyangel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to GreyDot
If I could find a picture of the Stubben bitless bridle, I'd put it up for you... they're wonderful! (oh, and if you can find one, let me know )
Old 02-16-2008, 06:21 PM  
Pasture Pet

Not a fan of sidepulls but a hack or bosal suits me. I just am never happy with the way the sidepull "fits" on the nose.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:30 PM  
Weanling Member

I use a bosal for my mare and I love it and it's very pretty.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 PM  
Kid Safe

I'm by far not a trainer or anything. I love hacks, especially the little S. For starting colts I've heard a lot of good things about the loping hackamore. A friend of ours uses them and swears by them. They look a lot like a rope halter. These are about $50-65.
www.kansassaddlery.com

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:16 AM  
Yearling Member

I start all of my horses in the Paso Fino jaquima. It has a heavy flat leather noseband that's attached to a heavy leather curb strap that has rings in it. This entire nose band can be put on any bridle. There are rings on the side, it acts much like a side pull, or the rings under the chin, acts more like a bosal. I really don't need to ever put a bit in a horses mouth with this type of bridle. You can find this tack in any Paso Fino tack shop.
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM  
Bombproof Member

Ok, rico, quick question.

I was always under the impression that you shouldn't ride gaited horses in any kind of bridle that goes over the nose since to hold them in gaits thier is pressure on the riens and it can cut off air flow making it harder for them to gait?

Any idea?

My foxtrotter mare will ride in a hack, but I don't put it on her if we are going to be doing any gaiting, If we are just going on a slow trail ride with other quarter horses and such, I let her wear it because I think we both prefer it over bits
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to B2Buckskins Send a message via Yahoo to B2Buckskins
I don't like sidepulls , I like the beetle hack it is lite and a lot like a halter, with a little more stop. And all of my horses neckrein with a lite touch.
I train most of mine like this and even the horses I get to retrain(barrel horses) end up in a beetle hack when I trail ride them.
Good luck on your hunt for a a hack for your horse.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 AM  
Started

I have found I like how my haflinger rides in a bosal the best.

Ricoman - do you have any photos of a Paso Fino jaquima being used? I would be interested in seeing one and possibly trying it for my husband's colt. Right now he started him in a rope halter w/ side-pull rings, but I would like to get him something a little more sturdy for when we hit the trails.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM  
Yearling Member

The nose band is not so low on the nose that it closes the nostrils. The nose band is placed where the nosebone and cartilage meet. I don't happen to have any pictures myself but you should be able to find pictures on line. The Paso Fino horse world site. I have totally drawn a blank for pictures for you, sorry. I'll think of something and get back to you!!!
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment