Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 02:28 PM  
Coming two

Buffalo Saddlery

I was wondering if any of you western riders own or have used saddles made by Buffalo saddlery. I have a line on a roper made by them, but I personally know nothing about them. Any Info,on their quality,comfort or value, good or bad will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 PM  
Halter broke

Horribly made, hard on your horse's back, hard on your butt, comes all to pieces with the least little bit of use.....I don't like'em, no I don't.
resthavenfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:17 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via AIM to Thunderz Gurlz Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderz Gurlz
I hate them. I have never had one that fit a horse correctly. I would NEVER buy one.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:33 PM  
Coming two

I have always used my SanJose ropers or Billy Cook so the other day someone said they had one of these Buffalo saddles. Ive never heard of them, and I sure dont need a horse with a sore back, when my girls work, they work ,and I dont need a sore butt either for that matter..
Old 12-09-2007, 05:54 AM  
Yearling Member

They used to sell those at the auction down here. They talked like they werre something really special, of course. They are mostly made in Mexico from the info I got. They are cheap, great for someone who is going to ride their horse 30 minutes a week. Not worth a flip for anyone who really does any riding.

They used to routinely sell at the auction for $125 to $150 each, new. You get exactly what you pay for.
Pasodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 AM  
Bombproof Member

Never owned one, but what others are saying here is what I've seen said over and over again as I've worked my way through 6+ saddles trying to get just the right fit.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 AM  
Bombproof Member

Buffalo makes a roper looking saddle, right down to the wrapped horn, and many sellers sell them as ropers. A roper needs a rawhide covered tree and be wary of the term bullhide covered.
When saddle shopping, stay away from saddles where the seat stitching near the cantle screw forms a large V, often over an inch long and easily seen. They are sold under various names, including Buffalo, but are all the same saddle.
Perhaps I should add, there was a time Buffalo built a good saddle and a good roper. But those days seem long gone.

Last edited by Slim Pikkens : 12-09-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:12 AM  
Halter broke

I have one and it fits two of my horses great and I work cows with my horse and ride at least 1 to 2 hours every day
hillbilly898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM  
Kat
Yearling Member

I bought one on ebay and it seems to work very well for my daughter and her horse. The leather quality is much better than the super "El cheapo" models. Of course, I have no way of knowing how old it is either.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 PM  
Started

I have only seen one Buffalo worth a hoot. It was a 13 inch youth saddle that was made several years ago... It was built like some of the show saddles, but in an older mini version....I have never seen another one since. I would have loved to have bought it, but I didn't have the $450 to buy it that night, but someone else sure did! The new ones are not good saddles.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:22 PM  
Newborn Member

Thumbs up buffalo saddle

I dont know about the other guys but I have a buffalo roper saddle and have had it for going on eight years.I bought it used (don''t know how old it is) when I got my first horse and it fits her well,it doesn't make her sore and my butt doesn't hurt either.I have put that saddle through a lot,drill team,showing,trails,rain,even barrel racing and its still going strong,and the leather does not feel like cardboard(I keep it oiled,like you should all saddles).So Buffalo Saddles is good in my opinion.
APHAgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM  
Newborn Member

Buffalo Saddlery

I have a roper saddle from buffalo saddlery and I happen to like it very much. Got it used and have been using it for years. It is very comfortable and does not give my horse a sore back. And it holds together very well, its NOT falling apart. WELL made saddle. Ive used it for team roping, trail riding, AND barrel racing.
winchestrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to PaladinCentaur
I bought one used because it was one of the only brands I could find in a larger size. I'd say there mid range quality saddles. Mine was pretty old when I bought it but so far its holding up good and is super comfy, nice and broke in . It's not falling apart or anything like that. I haven't done anything to it except replace the saddle strings because the leather got hard. Mine says Buffalo Custom Saddlery I'm just assuming that's the same company?

I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred bucks for one just because for more than that you could get a used high quality brand if you have the money. I paid like $150 for mine I think.
PaladinCentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM  
Yearling Member

the first saddle I ever owned was a buffalo saddle. it was heavy and well made, but it was made 15+ years ago. I sold it when I moved to a big horn cordura saddle (trail riding). My buffalo was a roper saddle but I only trail ride.

If your looking for something dead broke, don\'t look at my horses but look at me!

http://www.geocities.com/shyfilly78/wwpq.html
shyfilly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 PM  
Kid Safe

I've mentioned on HT several times about getting ripped off by buying a saddle on eBay and how I never knew a saddle could be such a POS. I said it looked like one of the ones they have for Breyer horses but in actual size. Some of the hardware was rusting, the tree was bent, the leather was badly cut and the cuts were visible, the skirts were short and the gullet would not have fit any horse in existence. It was supposedly made by Buffalo Saddlery.
I had checked out Buffalo saddlery before I bought it and they looked decent so maybe the one I got was a fake but it had Buffalo Saddlery right on it. And the feedback from people who'd bought the same saddle was all positive.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM  
Kid Safe

Hey, I just realized how old this thread is.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to PaladinCentaur
I didn't even notice. lol. I try to check most of the time
PaladinCentaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment