Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 PM  
Kid Safe

Best Body Clippers?

I am thinking about buying body clippers because it is rediculous to have to pay $125 to have my horses clipped when the clippers only cost 300-400 . I am not sure which ones to get so I figure you guys may be able to help with a few questions:

1. What are the coolest-running body clippers?

2. Which body clippers are the lightest-weight

3. Which ones are the quietest?

4. Overall, which ones are the best?

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:31 PM  
Halter broke

I love the cable drive clippers!!! You can do body clipping plus all the fine detail work, ears etc. We body clip 50+ horses several times a year with these and they do a really nice job. They have snap on blades that makes switching easy as pie! If you cant tell I LOVE them!
http://www.supremeequinedesign.com/c... s=&BAG:list=
Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM  
Pasture Pet

The only ones I have ever used were my Andis livestock clippers, and I don't love them, but I have nothing to compare them to. They are really heavy, they kill your wrist after a while, make an awful rattle, and get really hot, really quickly. It took me 4 hours to do a mini because I had to keep stopping to cool them off.
Anyone want to buy some clippers?
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM  
Bombproof Member

If you are going to body clip you will probably need two pairs of clippers so you have a cool pair handy. Sunbeam makes a good heavy duty clipper for cattle and horses-Clipmaster.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM  
Yearling Member

I use the Andis Heinager Model 68010 Cattle & Horse Clipper.
I don't know if they are the best, but they work well for me. I can body clip an extremely hairy mini within 30 minutes. It took me 2 hours to body clip a Draft horse that thinks he lives in snowy weather.

These clippers even survived a plunge into a water bucket

Last edited by RealFolkBlue : 11-14-2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: to remove link
RealFolkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM  
Coming two

i just bought Oster Turbo A5 and they worked perfect for my horse...he turned out really good only took me five hours to do it!
Oran'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:42 AM  
Bombproof Member

I have had the best luck in clippers with WAHL. They are lighter weight and quieter, with less heat build up.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 PM  
Weanling Member

I'm a bit old fashioned compared to some of the modern technology available. I use a pair of Oaster Clipmasters, single speed, flat clip head.

Things I like: Very powerful clippers, high rpms means they clip fast and smooth, a full body clip on a 16.2 hand horse usually takes me about 1 hr 15 min; blades are sold in a combo set that aren't too terribly expensive and are sold just about everywhere (even Southern States and TSC), easy and cheap to sharpen; very durable motors requiring minimal servicing; I usually get 4-5 full clips (big horses) out of a pair of blades before they need sharpening, and often those horses are quite dirty. Also, if you shop around carefully, a good used pair can be found without costing an arm and two legs. I purchased mine off of eBay, gently used, with a pair of good blades on them, for about $60, including shipping.

Things I don't like: A bit heavy, but not too bad, my arm will start getting a bit tired when I'm on my third horse in a row, about middle of the range; the motor will heat up if I don't keep the head sprayed and oiled during clipping; changing blades requires a screwdriver, which has a habit of dissapearing around our house.

I've used the cable drive variety, as well as Andis, Wahl, and another one that I can't remember the brand. And I still swear by my Clipmasters. I clip for pay a lot of the time, lots of show hunters, fox hunters, and event horses both from my own barn and for other people.

One caution about the cable drive clippers, if you're clipping a fractious horse, and they step on and manage to severe the drive cord, it's a VERY expensive fix, close to the cost of a new set of clippers. Whereas we've had a horse cut the cord on one of our Oasters by stepping on it with a shoe on and twisting, and it's about a $25 fix to put a new cord on it.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:30 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littonian View Post
I'm a bit old fashioned compared to some of the modern technology available. I use a pair of Oaster Clipmasters, single speed, flat clip head.

Things I like: Very powerful clippers, high rpms means they clip fast and smooth, a full body clip on a 16.2 hand horse usually takes me about 1 hr 15 min; blades are sold in a combo set that aren't too terribly expensive and are sold just about everywhere (even Southern States and TSC), easy and cheap to sharpen; very durable motors requiring minimal servicing; I usually get 4-5 full clips (big horses) out of a pair of blades before they need sharpening, and often those horses are quite dirty. Also, if you shop around carefully, a good used pair can be found without costing an arm and two legs. I purchased mine off of eBay, gently used, with a pair of good blades on them, for about $60, including shipping.

Things I don't like: A bit heavy, but not too bad, my arm will start getting a bit tired when I'm on my third horse in a row, about middle of the range; the motor will heat up if I don't keep the head sprayed and oiled during clipping; changing blades requires a screwdriver, which has a habit of dissapearing around our house.

I've used the cable drive variety, as well as Andis, Wahl, and another one that I can't remember the brand. And I still swear by my Clipmasters. I clip for pay a lot of the time, lots of show hunters, fox hunters, and event horses both from my own barn and for other people.

One caution about the cable drive clippers, if you're clipping a fractious horse, and they step on and manage to severe the drive cord, it's a VERY expensive fix, close to the cost of a new set of clippers. Whereas we've had a horse cut the cord on one of our Oasters by stepping on it with a shoe on and twisting, and it's about a $25 fix to put a new cord on it.

i LOVE my clipmasters. they are on the heavy side, and they are loud, but they clip quickly and don't leave track marks. i clip about 10-12 times a winter and they have held up great. plus the blades are easy to find, and easy to get sharpened.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:27 PM  
Kid Safe

Thanks for all the advice! The horse I need to clip (no matter how long I keep those lights on... My other horse has a shorter coat now than this summer!) Is usually fine with clippers but a boarder body clipped him for me last year and he went insane (really loud clippers) They were really old clippers but they served the purpose. But they were heavier than snot and I wanted to know if there was anything better out there. Those clipmasters sound great. I was thinking about the lister star clippers by wahl but iunno, the clipmasters seem more popular so I will have to check my local tack shops this week.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:55 AM  
Yearling Member

I really like the Laubes. They are really expensive but worth every penny. They are very tough and I've never had any problems with them. I prefer the cordless but they are even more expensive. Mine is the one with the cord but one of my board horses has to be body clipped in the summer and his owner leave her cordless pair her for me to clip him. They are awesome and I can do it in half the time with the cordless.
sweetwaterarabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 AM  
Bombproof Member

Often when a horse really object of being clipped is either the blades are dull and grabbing the hair, or the blades are too hot. Sharpening or replacing the blades may greatly enhance the old clippers.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamio33 View Post
I love the cable drive clippers!!! You can do body clipping plus all the fine detail work, ears etc. We body clip 50+ horses several times a year with these and they do a really nice job. They have snap on blades that makes switching easy as pie! If you cant tell I LOVE them!
These were what I used when I was grooming in an Arabian Halter barn. We were always clipping something whether it be faces, bridlepaths or entire bodies. I loved these. I usually kept 3-4 blades sitting in blade wash/oil to rotate through. Spraying the horse down with showsheen or other body sprays really helps as well to get a good clean clip as does doing a freshly washed horse.

ETA I wouldn't recommend A5's or similar for bodyclipping unless you only have one horse and don't do him very often. They get too hot to fast to do an entire adult horse in one sitting. I have used them to do my weanlings but have to stop several times and let them cool off in between.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.

Last edited by beth55051 : 11-25-2007 at 07:40 AM.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 AM  
Weanling Member

(A clean horse is mandatory for an easy clip)

I have 5 Clippers and let me tell you I am a Pro at rating these

The absolute best clipper for the price is:

Andis® AGC Super 2-Speed™ Horse Clipper
they leave no lines you can aim anyway in any position as you clip, they are quiet, they need minimal Cool lube . They are fast and efficient and have an extra wide blade. They are the best !

I have spent hundreds on the clippers listed below and they are all OK or even good but the best are the AGC's by far ! If you have several draft horses or 1 mini they are worth it.

I have 2 Oster, including Clipmaster ( too heavy and leaves lines) and a battery operated 1 ( good for brief trims only)

2 Wahl ones- they leave tracks or lines

1 Double K- big cumbersome and leave lines
CatFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carri View Post
The only ones I have ever used were my Andis livestock clippers, and I don't love them, but I have nothing to compare them to. They are really heavy, they kill your wrist after a while, make an awful rattle, and get really hot, really quickly. It took me 4 hours to do a mini because I had to keep stopping to cool them off.
Anyone want to buy some clippers?

I am in the same boat with my Oesters A5's. My mini was getting aggravated !!!!
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth55051 View Post

ETA I wouldn't recommend A5's or similar for bodyclipping unless you only have one horse and don't do him very often. They get too hot to fast to do an entire adult horse in one sitting. I have used them to do my weanlings but have to stop several times and let them cool off in between.

Yup- agree 100% !! I takes hours with my Oester A5's....My mini get aggravated !!
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:56 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamio33 View Post
I have to agree with you and Beth here! That clipper doesn't even hesitate going through the mini's winter woolies! It's decently quiet and doesn't get hot really fast like some other clippers. We began clipping the horses with cow clippers, then the A5's for the legs and head and man that sucked! Then we got the double k clipper and I've been hesitant to try anything else. The other mini showpeople I know use them as well...

I'll never forget you, Clyde! 3/18/02-12/30/06.
You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment