Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
Carrot Stick Instructions...Please

On the old forum someone had posted a link to "How to make your own Parelli carrot stick" Now I can't find the origional thread. I was just wondering if someone saved it or still has the "How to Make it link"?

I did save it but it was on my old computer and now that the arena is finally finished I would like to get my girl going with the Parelli training again.

Thanx

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 AM  
Long Yearling

I'm not 100% sure, but I remember it has something to do with a golf grip handle, a cane shaft and a small eye bolt.

I think it'd make more sense to buy the imitation ones on ebay for a little more than spend time running around trying to track it all down.

Good luck!
instigatorkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 AM  
Kid Safe

Hmm...don't know where the old post is, but I know how to make them.

You need:

1 golf club grip (get from golf shop or sporting good store)

1 plastic push-in fencepost, the smooth round kind (TSC usually has em)

10" of old leather belt - a man's belt works best, you want one about an inch and quarter to and inch and half wide, plain edges.

4 - 5' one quarter to five sixteenths cotton yachtbraid rope (TSC usually carries this too, but you may need to buy a whole skein - the extra won't go to waste, its excellent for tying rope halters, too)

heavy braided nylon string (cotton will do, but the nylon will last longer)

Household cement (the clear, stinky kind that sticks to just about everthing - a more durable alternative would be Shoe Goo)

Cut the pointy end off the fencepost, and remove any hardware that came with it, then trim it to 4' long

Slip the golf club grip onto one end of the post, using some of the glue to make it stay.

Fold the peice of belt in half, and position it on other end of the post so that about 2 and one half inches are on the top and bottom of the post (the post in the middle) that will leave another 2 and one half inches of looped belt past the end of the post. apply glue to the leather and post to

Wrap the belt leather loop onto the post with some of the nylon string, pulling it tight and keeping the wrap neat and even. Tie off the string, then coat the whole wrap with more of the glue. There should now be glue inside the leather and all over the string.

Set the stick aside to dry completely.

To make the string, splice a loop into one end of the yacht braid (if you know how to splice) or simply fold it over into about a 2" loop and wrap it with the nylon string (just like the loop of belt on the stick) and cover with glue.

On the other end of the string, either wrap the end with nylon string, splice an end on it or burn it close to keep it from fraying.

Last edited by taelesean : 07-19-2007 at 11:17 AM.
taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Do you have a picture of what the finished product is suppose to look like.

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM  
Bombproof Member

I shortened an old lunge whip to 4 feet in length. Took about 9" or 10" - one inch wide leather, folded it in half and wrapped about 1" of it around the end of the whip. I bound it with heavy thread but electrical tape will work. The leather will be too wide where it's wrapped so it will have to be trimmed to fit. Cut a 1/4" hole where it folds in half. That will hold a short rope with a knot to prevent it going thro the hold. I didn't bother with the rope. A chunk of 5/8 rein may work.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:19 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvf View Post
Do you have a picture of what the finished product is suppose to look like.

It's supose to look almost identicle to the Real Parelli's stick.

Thanx for the instructions, just hope I can figure it out without the pictures LOL

Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM  
Yearling Member

Just FYI, you can buy really nice carrot stick lookalikes on Ebay. Some gal makes them in a whole variety of colors, pretty cheap. Probably not much more than you'd pay for all the components. I think my official Parelli one costs about $38 or something.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanagirl View Post
Just FYI, you can buy really nice carrot stick lookalikes on Ebay. Some gal makes them in a whole variety of colors, pretty cheap. Probably not much more than you'd pay for all the components. I think my official Parelli one costs about $38 or something.
Usually shipping kills ya when something that long is shipped to Canada from the states I have check there but the shipping quotes were horrible where I could have ordered a real one or new one from Parelli's in Canada.

If your official Parrelli's stick only cost you $38 then you got a great deal. My sisters cost over $70 shipped with the DVD package.

Last edited by sugarsgal : 07-20-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:29 PM  
Yearling Member

Well, I'm not sure how much shipping to Canada is, but here's the Parelli web site. The carrot stick costs $35.95 for non-members, $26 for members of the Savvy club.

https://shop.parellisecure.com/show_cat.php?catid=3

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 PM  
Started

The savvy string is what must have brought her cost up to the $70 range

Old 07-22-2007, 12:56 AM  
Pasture Pet

I posted it before-here you go
http://www.freewebs.com/lodgeropes/trainingstick.htm
Pic to show how to make the flap
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 AM  
Started

Oh Thanx Tmom, that was the site I will save it now, so I don't loose it again LOL

Old 07-22-2007, 04:19 PM  
Bombproof Member

I hate to disappoint people but a good willow branch with a rope secured to the end works just as well. The carrot stick is a marketing gimmick. The idea is to lightly tap the horse, not with the end of the stick, but about a foot down from the thin end to desensitize the horse yet keeping the handler out of kicking range. One doesn't need the rope part for this. A lunge whip works just as well by holding onto the lash so it doesn't flip all over.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

I've had the opportunity to work with a real one from a friend of mine, as well as a "fake" one I bought on ebay. The ebay one works just fine. And to be honest, I still am not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. While I still have the one I bought, usually I just use a regular lunge whip and when I don't want to use the string part of it, I twirl it around the body of the whip so it doesn't dangle or come off and "whip." That works fine for me. Also I guess I needed a little longer than 4 feet because I was working with such a large horse.

Edited to add this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Natural-Horseman...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the only one I can find on th ebay at the moment . .. I don't know if that's who I bought mine from or not. Looked up in my feedback reports to see if I coudl figure out what her name was and didn't have any luck, but I do recall it was someone who pretty much made them herself and resold them.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:54 PM  
Pasture Pet

We don't have willow trees around here
Some folks just really like the carrot stick.
If they like the Parelli gear and way-that is just peachy keen by me.
There must be fifty ways to train a horsey-at least.

Last edited by ToveroMom : 07-22-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:11 PM  
Kid Safe

Singing:

Fifty ways to leave your lover, fifty ways to train your horse...

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 PM  
Pasture Pet

Ya' caught me-I was thinking of that very song!
Gotta' love S&G
Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 PM  
Started

I have made one out of an old fiberglass fishing poll and it sucks compaired to the real Parelli's stick. It isn't as stiff and is too light. I just had a hard time with it. I have used the lunge whip but again didn't work so well for backing up and moving off pressure. She she moved all right but only because she was afraid of it LOL She did well with the caoort stick but my sister said she paid too much money for everyone to use it. Which is understandable to me!!

I prefere the Parelli's stick but don't want to spend that kind of money, besides I would rather customize it to my likes and feel proud that I made it, I guess.

I even made my own Parelli's lead. Instead of a 12 foot I made a 35 foot with Yatch rope and even added the popper and safety swivel clip. I paid something like 10 bucks to make mine with supplies from TSC and an old leather belt I had laying around. Except for the Parellis tag on my sisters, your wouldn't even be able to tell the difference

Old 07-23-2007, 01:14 AM  
Newborn Member

I got my carrot stick from my local tack shop her in alberta.
I asked about them and they brought some in a week later.
They sold out fast so they brought in more.
I think I paid $25 for mine.
If you have a tack store close, then just ask them, maybe they can bring them in.
LongBlueJournyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment