Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2007, 06:47 PM  
Bombproof Member

Safety Stirrups for English Saddle

For this used saddle seat saddle I bought, I got some of those safety stirrups, the kind where one whole side is basically a large rubber band.

Does the rubber band go to the inside of the horse or to the outside? Seems to me the outside makes the most sense, but they are pretty ugly that way.

Edited to add a photo . . . this is pretty much what they look like, except the stupid rubber bands are RED. Ick!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:56 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to CoppysGirl
Ugh.. I hate those stirrups. I think they're called "peacock stirrups" too.

But, yes.. the rubber bands go to the outside.

When your horse follows you without being asked, when he rubs his head on yours,
and when you look at him and feel a tingle down your spine... you know you are loved.
-John Lyons
CoppysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:01 PM  
Kid Safe

Yes, and you should twist them once before hooking them over the top...that ensures that if your foot ever puts pressure on them, the will roll off the top. But they won't roll off unles you are in the process of flying out of the saddle, heaven forbid!
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:27 PM  
Bombproof Member

Hmm, twist once, meaning the band will make a figure 8?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:35 PM  
Kid Safe

Yup, those are Peacock Irons. The rubber band goes on the outside, or as the stirrup hangs free, toward the front of the horse.

Personally, I don't like the idea. If I could find them in my size (6 1/2" or 7") I'd ride with the safety irons with the twist, or the mechanical break-open stirrups. But since no-one makes even regular irons in those sizes, I'll stick with my homemade ones unitl I can find a blacksmith capable and willing to make me a pair of regular looking irons.

I'd never heard of twisting the bands.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 PM  
Bombproof Member

You mean these?

Stubben makes some - saw them at the Midwest horse fair. They were charging $99 for them. I passed and got these safety stirrups instead for around $30.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 PM  
Started

rubber outside...I have them and like them, good to have a spare rubber around ( for the stirrups, folks) as the rubber can sometimes come loose, still they do what they are made to do and are comfy.
JoAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:59 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne
rubber outside...I have them and like them, good to have a spare rubber around ( for the stirrups, folks)

6 Year Member
BornToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnne
rubber outside...I have them and like them, good to have a spare rubber around ( for the stirrups, folks) as the rubber can sometimes come loose, still they do what they are made to do and are comfy.
That was definitely my first thought! But I was buying them at the Midwest horse fair, so I didn't have the option of getting more rubber bands there . . . not even sure if I'll end up using that saddle! But now I have a set of really good leathers and stirrups in case I ever do go English . .
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM  
Bombproof Member

Where your leathers run through the metal bar up under the flap, there may be a metal "tab" that raises and lowers. We used to put ours in the lowered position when jumping. Theoretically the stirrup leather was supposed to slide out if someone came off and got hung up.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:41 PM  
Long Yearling

The peacock stirrups are okay for kids, but actually are not recommended for people over 100lbs, as you are much more likely to HAVE an accident because the band pops off and the stirrup comes loose, rather than have an accident because your foot got caught in the stirrup and were dragged, especially if you ride with the safety bars on the saddle in the "down" position.

Also, a word of caution, I've seen it happen many times where people go to dismount and get the crotch of their pants or belt or bra caught on the hook on their way down, and that can rip the pants, startle the horse or worse. A student of mine even had a fairly bad injury, for lack of a better term I'll say in a delicate area, that required stitches when she caught herself on the hook of the safety stirrup. After that, I made sure all my students swung the stirrup in front of the saddle flap before dismounting. I personally would never use them.

On the other side, I found that 2 hair elastics make a decent substitute for the rubber band if you lose one.
instigatorkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:09 AM  
Pasture Pet

Kate, thanks for the tips of caution, I will definitely be more aware when riding. I had never heard that adults weren't supposed to ride in those stirrups, our barn requires that everyone ride in those stirrups, perhaps I should try to get more educated about it and then talk to the B/O about a different recommendation for adults.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:45 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by instigatorkate
The peacock stirrups are okay for kids, but actually are not recommended for people over 100lbs, as you are much more likely to HAVE an accident because the band pops off and the stirrup comes loose, rather than have an accident because your foot got caught in the stirrup and were dragged, especially if you ride with the safety bars on the saddle in the "down" position.

Also, a word of caution, I've seen it happen many times where people go to dismount and get the crotch of their pants or belt or bra caught on the hook on their way down, and that can rip the pants, startle the horse or worse. A student of mine even had a fairly bad injury, for lack of a better term I'll say in a delicate area, that required stitches when she caught herself on the hook of the safety stirrup. After that, I made sure all my students swung the stirrup in front of the saddle flap before dismounting. I personally would never use them.

On the other side, I found that 2 hair elastics make a decent substitute for the rubber band if you lose one.
Hmmm, interesting. I've ridden exclusively in these stirrups for 3 years and never ever had a problem with them coming loose, unless it was during a moment when I WANTED them to, like during quick and unplanned dismounts! And I haven't seen 100 lbs for over 15 yrs!

Just wondering...how the heck were these people dismounting so as to get caught on their stirrups so frequently? Are they sliding (or dragging) themselves down the side of the horse? If so, there are more things than just the safety stirrups that they could get themselves stuck on, and I wouldn't recommend dismounting that way anyways. Seems strange to me...again, I've never had a problem with them, but everyone has different experiences.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:11 AM  
Long Yearling

I guess when you work at summer camps for 6 years and then at private schools and large lesson barns for another 5 you see alot of everything. The accidents with getting caught on the stirrups didn't happen often, but enough times in those years that I personally have seen it a large number of times. It happens with riders as they dismount and slide down the horse. And, sliding down is the safest , and generally preferred method of dismounting from English tack. There is nothing else to be caught on other than the hook of a safety stirrup. The stitches incident was freak, but hey, I really don't want to end up with stitches "down there"!

Also, I've seen multiple instances when an adult has had a horse spook slightly or trip, or have a rider land funny after a jump and the rubber band pops off and the person loses the stirrup, further endangering their balance when a conventional iron or a flex iron would have supported them. Should they be able to ride without stirrups? Yes. Is this realistic for the average woman riding once a week? Maybe eventually.
instigatorkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 PM  
Newborn Member

Safety Stirrups for English Saddle

i have those stuirups and i hate them but i love them because they actually have saved me from getting dragged when fallen off but they also fall off a lot but the rubber bad does go to the out side
silver statement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 AM  
Kid Safe

Well, I guess I must be the odd man (or woman) out here, 'cause I've never had the bands slip off. Perhaps it's because I do one twist before putting them on...it keeps the rubber tight, but still allows for quick-release in emergency situations. Or maybe those who have had problems had stirrups with older rubber bands. They do need to be replaced regularly, since the weather will dry out the rubber. I don't know but all I know is that I've never had a problem, and they have saved my bacon at least twice!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment