Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2007, 06:59 AM  
Kid Safe

Tack Stores in Northern Virginia

As some of you know, my ex lives in Fredericksburg and works in Arlington.

She is planning on buying 2 horses for her and her hubby, and has asked me the best places to shop for tack and supplies that are reasonably priced.

My first thought is mail-order, but I know we have 3 or 4 people from that general area, so thought I would check to see if you know of any tack shops you would recommend...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:16 AM  
Halter broke

Dover Saddlery bought out Dominion Saddlery a little while ago and are re-doing all of their retail stores. They are re-opening a new store in Chantilly, VA under the Dover name real soon - if they haven't already... You can check Dover's web-site for details. They are great people to deal with, I have used their Delaware and Hunt Valley, MD locations numerous times.
PonyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:19 AM  
Yearling Member

Yeah, they were supposed to re-open as Dover last month. However, Chantilly is not really very close to Fredericksburg. I haven't lived near Fredericksburg since I was a teenager, but let me do some research for you and get back to you, Face.
LanceBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 AM  
Yearling Member

Okay, I only find one that is really close to Fredericksburg, and I'm afraid I don't know anything about them to say how their prices are.

Champion Saddlery
15225 Breedens Road
Doswell, VA 23047
(804) 227-3434
www.championsaddlery.com

There are a number of others in Northern Virginia, but they're all probably 45 minutes or more away from Fredericksburg.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 AM  
Halter broke

See, now, close is a relative term.... We drive 2-3 hrs to get to the closest Dover Saddlery. We have some small local shops, but depending on what you want they may not have it. Needless to say we only make 1 or 2 of those trips a year.
PonyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM  
Yearling Member

Well, upon further research (I thought there might be some tack shops in Culpepper, which is close to Fredericksburg, but there aren't), the ones I've been to with my daughter are probably the closest ones there are, other than the ONE I posted above. They are:

Cedar Rin Saddlery
9946 Tico Lane
Bristow, VA 20136
(703) 330-8886

Saddlery Liquidators
6612 James Madison Highway
Haymarket, VA 20169
(703) 753-9583
www.saddleryonline.com

Saddlery Liquidators
2 West Marshall Street
Middleburg, VA 20117
(540) 687-8193

And the new Dover Saddlery on Route 50 in Chantilly. Of course, the PetSmarts have a "State Line Tack" in their stores, but I understand that's going away here very soon.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 AM  
Yearling Member

Hi, Face:

Don't know what kind of tack she's after but you may want to suggest any of the following:

1. Double L Tack shop in located in Fredericksburg on Green Chapel Road. They have some nice tack and a great selection of consignment stuff as well.

2. Bryant's Saddlery is located on Route 28 , about 2 miles south of Southern States. They have a huge selection of items, but I'm told their western tack is an inferior quality (low-end saddles, etc.) I ride English, so I couldn't say for sure.

3. There's Dominion Saddlery out in Chantilly on Route 50

4. There's the Tack Room on Route 1 in Falmouth. Good prices here with some good consignments.

5. Criswood Farm on Hoadly Road also has a tack shop.

6. In Dale City, there's a huge barn that used to be called Cedar Run. I think they've changed names with their new ownership. They used to have a tack shop, but I was never there.

Hope these help her.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:02 AM  
Yearling Member

Thanks, Kemstar! I guess my internet search wasn't too good, cuz I didn't find ANY of those! I may have to check out some of those myself!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 AM  
Kid Safe

Here's the list of places I know of:

I have bought several things from Bryant's Saddlery here in Manassas:

http://horsetalkmagazine.com/bryants.htm

And a few things from here, Saddlery Liquidators:

http://horsetalkmagazine.com/saddleryliquid.htm

Those two are the cheapest, if they have it, it's at the lowest price you're likely to find, except maybe at a tack auction (and you'll likely find them there, too, buying stuff) Both carry a mixed bag of items as far as quality - there's good stuff, there's cheap stuff, and stuff in between.

I got my son's first helmet and boots at the Old Habit:

http://www.oldhabit.com/

I've gotten a few things from TSC and Stateline and also from Southern States.

I've also visited at these places, though I havent' bought anything at any of them yet.

http://horsetalkmagazine.com/gallopinggrape.htm (a most interesting store, wine, cheese, and leather goods?)

http://doubleltackshop.com/

Berryville Farm Supply

http://bitnbridletackshop.com/

Fort Valley Saddlery

And a buncha others, too....but I still have most of this list to explore:

http://www.tackshops.us/virginia.htm

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 AM  
Weanling Member

I recently bought a bit from Doulble L and then went into Petsmart looking for something for the dogs...found the same bit for $7 cheaper. She may want to give Stateline (inside of Petsmart) a look-see.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM  
Kid Safe

Thanks a ton - I'm emailing her all this info. Wish I could email her some common sense, too...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment