Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Canvas Hay Bag or Hay Net?

I'm considering canvas hay bags for my horses (and Minis) instead of hay nets. I've never used a hay bag, do they work as well? Better? They sure look like they would be easier to use than a net...
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM  
Seasoned

I LOVE the hay bags. They also make some nylon mesh bags that are very sturdy and stand up to getting wet better than canvas. They're made of the same sort of material (kinda) as the mesh fly masks.

Hay nets, while CHEAPER by a long shot, can be dangerous. I've seen horses get feet and legs caught in hay nets. I've also seen horses that EAT the net.

But for everyday use, I'm all for feeders as close as possible to the ground. Horses are meant to eat and drink with their heads down. Once in a while it's fine (like in the trailer) for them to eat with their heads up, but I'm a firm believer that it can cause problems if you do it all the time. Just my .02, of course.
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I'm only looking for hay bags for going to shows, tied to the trailer, etc. I feed our horses off the ground (for the above mentioned reasons). I had just heard that horses have trouble getting hay out of the bags...

I hate hay nets! They are a pain to fill and I always worry about the horses getting caught in them, but sometimes you do what you have to do and if the bags didn't work well I wasn't going to spend the extra money for them.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:56 AM  
Yearling Member

We use the hay bags in lieu of hay nets, too. I agree with Miss Leeanne, they are safer and IMO easier to use.

You grow up the day you have your first real laugh
- at yourself.
- Ethel Barrymore
jkbplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM  
Seasoned

the great thing about feeding horses in hay bags vs. nets: if it DOES take them longer to get the hay out, they are at least entertained for longer.

If they're busy trying to pull the hay out of the hay bag, they are likely not pawing, pulling back, neighing, pacing etc. etc. etc.

But honestly, I've never seen a horse that had too much of a problem getting the hay out of a hay bag.
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss leanne
the great thing about feeding horses in hay bags vs. nets: if it DOES take them longer to get the hay out, they are at least entertained for longer.

If they're busy trying to pull the hay out of the hay bag, they are likely not pawing, pulling back, neighing, pacing etc. etc. etc.

But honestly, I've never seen a horse that had too much of a problem getting the hay out of a hay bag.
That does seem reasonable. Horses are very motivated when it comes to eating!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 PM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

Yup, hay bag over hay net anytime! I've seen horses get caught in hay nets, and it's scary - granted, I knew a gelding who managed to get his hoof into his hay bag, too, but at least the strap just broke and there wasn't much chance of him really hurting himself beyond getting scared of the bag...silly horses!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 PM  
Coming two

Guess I'm the odd duck here...I only use haynets (not nylon tho!). I've tried the hay bags a couple times and both times, the horses flipped them around in the trailer and couldn't get any hay out.

Plus, we trailer long distances (3-6-9 hours) and I can cram tons of hay in the nets vs the little bit I can put in the bags.

I do have one that chews through the nets, so I keep a large supply on hand!

When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.
Lopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I use both. For the most part I use heavy duty nylon cordura hay bags. I've never had a horse that had a hard time getting the hay out of them. Some are quite good at flipping and spinning them.

But I have one mare who is extra aggresive and just tears them to pieces so she only gets a cotton rope hay net. She can completely destroy a brand new hay bag in less than an hour.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 PM  
Bombproof Member

To safely tie up a hay net, when the loop is pulled tight, run it back down thro the bottom ring, then back up thro the top where it's gathered. Now the loop will be quite short. Hang it high. As the horses pull on the hay, enough drops that they will eat with their heads down as well. When the net is empty it will still be higher than the horse's chest. I hang my a good stretch above my head.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:24 PM  
Seasoned

Miichelle

Schneiders has mini sized canvas hay bags!!!! Plus all sorts of goodies for mini's.

www.sstack.com
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment