Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM  
Yearling Member

breeches, leggings, jodhpurs

what's the difference? and why are they so dang tight?
bettymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 AM  
Newborn Member

Jodhpurs, hmmm - you usually see children wearing them. With thier ancle high boots. Pretty much only tight fitting from the Knee to the Ancle. I don't like them personally - but that is moi.

Breeches, are like leggings, but thicker and stronger. They are form fitting from hip down to ancles. These are the most commonly worn style in all ages. I only have a few pairs due to how pricey they can be. White, Tan and Beige

Leggings I use allot as a matter of fact. I buy them from Walmart or Meijers in the exercise section and wear them. Cheap, just as good especially for schooling and trail riding.
I cannot afford to buy Breeches as pricey as they can be, so I have a few good ones in my closet. I HAVE TONS OF THESE! Blacks, greys, browns.
Atheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 AM  
Yearling Member

Jodphurs are also used when riding/showing saddleseat. They are longer than the childrens' version of jods and usually have lovely matching or slightly contrasting jackets.

There is nothing in the world like a great set of full-seat breeches! But who can afford them? I've always been lucky in finding gently worn breeches at consignment shops when I lived in Northern VA.

Leggings are ok to ride in, but personally, I find them a bit slippery on my saddle.

When training, I'm usually in jeans. But give me a grat pair of breeches any day. And, they are not supposed to be skin tight. Fitted properly, you will look and feel great in them.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:22 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemstar
And, they are not supposed to be skin tight. Fitted properly, you will look and feel great in them.
i wondered if the ads i see were really how they should fit. sometimes jeans are a bit uncomfortable so when i look at all these riding pants for sale online...they look so tight i think who would want to wear something THAT tight unless you were like model thin?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 AM  
Newborn Member

I am chunky and I love my breeches. They are pullon's. I do not like the zippers and buttons.

They form quite nice to your body, they aren't super tight.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 AM  
Kid Safe

I used to ride in breeches until my husband discovered that they are pretty snug on the bum, and decided he didn't like me walking or riding around in such tighties! (yes, I know there are feminists out there gnashing their teeth, but I love him, so I make sacrifices!)

I don't really know how else they possibly COULD fit, since they are made from a very stretchy material. I looked long and hard for a vintage style pair of breeches or jods (you know the ones that used to almost balloon out at the hip and then be tight to the calf to go under the tall boots)...the only new pair I could find were the Tally Ho ones which were somewheres in the neighbourhood of $200/pair...okay, NEXT!

I wear jeans while riding, but I buy the ones with a bit of stretch to them, and in a relaxed fit style. They are super comfy, give enough grip, and fit under my chaps just fine.

I personally think the breeches and jods look good on someone with a perfectly flat stomach, but since 99% of the population doesn't have that ... they do tend to emphasize your physical flaws more than a well-fitting pair of jeans do. JMO
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:31 PM  
Weanling Member

Breeches should not be skin tight. Look at the girls in this picture, especially the girl in the white breeches. They should fit like hers, where there is a little bit of room in them...

"If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago."- George Morris
jmprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 PM  
Bombproof Member

jmprider, I always wondered why they advertise them as skin-tight....I've never worn a pair but I was just sure they couldn't be comfortable to ride in that way... ?

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:05 PM  
Weanling Member

Yeah, I don't get it. They shouldn't be skin tight. They would not be comfortable, or functional.

"If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago."- George Morris
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 AM  
Kid Safe

I totally agree, they should fit like the girls in the picture...

But did you notice how old those girls are? Like MAYBE 12? They are not women, with butts, waists, hips, thighs, etc. You could buy a pair of breeches or jods as a woman, and buy a big enough size to be looser over your rear end, but they may be HUGE in the waist if you have any kind of hips or narrower waist at all.

As a woman with a figure (and not necessarily a huge one either) my biggest beef is trying to find clothes that are not made for boyish shapes, but that actually taper at the waist and have enough room in the butt and thighs! Surely I cannot be the only one with this problem!
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 AM  
Yearling Member

oh your not...i'm not even extremely "curvy" but i have trouble finding jeans that fit because if they are big enough in the hips/butt they are way too loose in the waist.
glad to know they aren't supposed to be as skin tight as they are in ads.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM  
Weanling Member

Several companies make "curvy fit" breeches. I believe Dover carries them, as well as State Line.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 PM  
Long Yearling

You can get breeches cheaper at the end of show season too. Most tack shops around here try to sell them so they are a little cheaper so the "new" stuff can come in when the next season hits.
sheri7785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:45 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I agree as well, the picture is the correct fit. I know some people believe they should be skin tight, but, they should not. I chose my breeches according to the weight of the material. I know that it seems hard to take to pay $150.00+ for a good pair of breeches (Tailored Sportsman or Harry Hall, etc.) but to me the way they have a snug but loose fit is worth the money to hide my 37 year old cellulite!

Jodphurs should only be worn by Jr. riders (13 and under) and then only with straps in Huntseat Classes. They are of course the only acceptable attire for saddleseat riders. I must admit that I have a pair of Jod's that I wear for schooling that I love.

I agree with jumprider, leggings are too slippery to ride in regularly and altogether too revealing of my thighs. They are useful for covering your clean breeches at the horseshow for schooling.

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 PM  
Weanling Member

I think the Ariat breeches fit nice. They have a little room in them, without being baggy...
http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-s...X1-35004/cn/2/

Dover also carries "Chap pants" which I have, and aren't slippery like leggings would be, and are great with half chaps.
http://www.doversaddlery.com/flared-...X1-35352/cn/2/

Old 09-14-2006, 10:22 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I can't comment on english wear but if you're looking for a pair of jeans built to fit curves try out Wranglers Aura line.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:29 AM  
Newborn Member

I love my leggings. I don't find them slippery at all.

It doesn't matter what you have on, as long as you are comfortable and confident. That's what counts
Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 AM  
Yearling Member

but it does matter if i ever want to compete in a show doesn't it? surely the judges wouldn't appreciate jeans and a tshirt and my bright red cowboy boots at a jumping show...
*sigh* which is why i'll probably just stick to riding for fun...
Old 09-15-2006, 09:57 AM  
Coming two

I never thought of using leggings instead.

If any of you are looking to for a pair of breeches that fit curvy figures, GoodeRider puts out nice ones. They are a pit pricey for everyday use (in my opinion), but for showing I think they are awesome!

Dover carries a few differant styles of these also.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/search....t=ss&x=17&y=13

I have a pair of those vintage breeches. Although I didn't know they were vintage. The VP of Miller, his son used to board at our farm and he gave me and my mom tons of stuff. He gave her a pair of these breeches. They are too big for me, but they are kind of cool, and they're brand new. Although I think that style looks kind of funny.

I actually ride in riding tights. I find them much more comfortable then breeches for every day. And of course in the winter I have my polartec lined riding tights. Nice and toasty

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 AM  
Newborn Member

Well, if you want to show - breeches are the cheapest and easiest way to go. You can go to a tackstore and try on tons , there are many out there. Find what is comfortable for you.

I use Leggings while trail riding and schooling. When showing - i am in my breeches.

I go to walmart and buy the exercise ones. Greys, black, browns - whatever colors. Cheap, cheap and cheap.

The breeches, I use for showing.

And I agree babycakes - cannot go wrong with your thermal leggins for winter riding!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment