Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 07:40 AM  
Yearling Member

Aussie saddle, what your view on it.

Hi all, best to go here to ask the following questions;
I checked the forum first and couldnt find anything about the Aussie saddle, so if this has allready been discussed forgive me, but I couldnt find it on the forum.
I have been thinking of getting a Aussie saddle, for a while. Just for trail riding and to have as a extra saddle.
I know quiet abit about english and western saddles, have many . Brands sizes and so forth.

But dont no much at all about the Aussie saddle other than you can get them with the horn or with out.
Could anyone tell me.
How the sizes work?
What a good name brand to look for?
Do they come in quarterhorse bars?
Do you like riding in your Aussie saddle, whats your opionion of riding in the Aussie.
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 AM  
Weanling Member

Hi Sunny!

I own an English saddle, and use an Aussie saddle. I had some issues with fear related to riding after falling out of my english saddle a couple of times (I'm still a beginner with a not very good seat!!). I love to trail ride, and I do not feel secure at all riding out on the trail in an English. So they let me use an Aussie stock saddle that they have at the barn.

I love it. It's comfortable, and yet it allows me to maintain a pretty much english seat. I use one with a horn, but have ridden out in one without a horn and they felt the same. I'm not sure what the terminology is- but the "wing" like things in the front REALLY hold your thighs into the saddle, should you have any situation where you need a bit more security.

The only thing that I don't like about it is the overgirth, which has a tendency to pinch up high inside of my thigh. But if I adjust myself in the saddle occassionally this problem tends to not be an issue.
JoAnn1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 AM  
TDH
Seasoned

I don't know if I can answer any of your questions, but I'll be interested in the replies you get. I have a 2 year old gelding who is going to be my next riding horse, and once he's done growing in a few years, I want to get a custom Aussie saddle. I've heard they're the Lazy-Boy of saddles! Although everyone's got their preferences and I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't care for them.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:22 AM  
Long Yearling

I had one but I ride TWH's and they place you too far forward in my opinion. Have a friend that felt the same way also. I would try it out before I bought it.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 AM  
Bombproof Member

I would love to try one, but haven't had the opportunity yet. A friend of mine who rides TWHs says they are comfortable, but she would not want to ride a young, possibly spooky horse in one, as they are so secure she felt like she would have a hard time getting out of it in a hurry if she needed to.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 AM  
Yearling Member

I have friends who have Aussies and there are mixed reviews on them.

Also, we have an Aussie at the therapeutic riding facility where I instruct. We use it for some of the larger students, and it works well for holding them securely.

Then two friends have Aussies and absolutely love riding in them. They feel secure and comfortable.

However, some other friends had them and had problems with them rolling on the horses. They just didn't fit them well.

The Aussies do look like they sit more on top of the horse, and that could be part of the problem with the saddle rolling, particularly if the horse it smaller.

I would say if at all possible try it out on your horse before you purchase.
Pasodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 AM  
Yearling Member

what do you mean by rolling on them?
I have wide back fat horses, is this going to be a problem?
I still have a horrible time with my Flex lite saddle on my APHA boy.
He got a wide flat back, and the saddle slides to the side. Is that what you mean by rolling?
I heard that they are so comfty, to ride in, but was wondering on the how they would fit a flat back horse as well.
I am sure they must have cheap brands out their, and want to avoid the cheapies, and go for a proven model, but what names should I look for.
So I can shop around.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:46 AM  
Yearling Member

I looked in my country supply catalog about the sizing, it's like the english size, say your a 15'' in a western, then it would be a 17'' in english and aussie.
Some tack shops let u try them before you buy them, my tack shop is like that. And they had an aussie saddle in and I was tempted.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:55 AM  
Weanling Member

I have one, and I love it. Bought it to ride my Percherons in cause none of my wetern saddles fit right. I bought mine from http://www.downunderweb.com/ They have a nice website, but I got most of my questions answered over the phone. I did a wither tracing and sent it to them, they looked at it, told me what saddles would fit, I had about 4 different ones to choose from. When it showed up, it fit perfect. I have never had any slippage or rolling issues. The thigh rolls on mine are pretty big (or maybe it is cause I am not used to them) the seat is nice and deep. I feel very secure in mine. It is so comfortable, I trail ride in mine all summer long. I do agree with the overgirth & pinching (cant were shorts) and if I had it to do over, that is the only thing I would change, they make alot of models without them. I am considering purchasing another for my smaller horse cause I like mine so much.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:05 PM  
Weanling Member

I would also be very careful about what brand you by. There are lots of cheapies out there. Ebay has some aweful ones, not balanced and cheap. I paid $650 for mine new, not a bad price in my opinion, you can certainly spend more. I would however stay away from the $199 ones, unless you go used And if you can see it in person, check the undersides, mine is very well padded. It has the squishy stuff that is supposed to conform to the horses back-works like a charm (I am only using it on my 2 Perches who have almost identical builds) I have never had any issues with fit, rubbing or sore spots. I have seen some Aussie saddle that look like they are resting on the withers, they should not do that. These saddles should be well balanced and look like any other saddle would when on the horse (not to far forward-tipped- or to far back to look like part of the saddle is in the air)
When I got mine from Down Under I also received a video that talked about fit and how to properly tack up the horse, as well as propper stir up length and how to sit. Very informative and it was free! I would be willing to mail it to you if you would like to see it.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:05 PM  
Yearling Member

The rolling issue was actually on some Paso Finos. The saddles would just tend to roll to the side of the horse, even with a tight girth. Apparently they were just too narrow for the saddles to fit them well. You will probably be just fine with a wider backed horse.

As a matter of fact, one friend who loves the Aussie rides a large Rocky Mountain mare. The mare is larger and the saddle works just great for her.
Pasodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:41 AM  
Weanling Member

*evil laugh*

DownUnder Saddles is jus down the street from me.. tee hee. I'm actually applying for work there.
NachtJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:06 PM  
Kid Safe

My husband and I both ride in an Aussie saddle, and will probably never go back to another saddle style! They are the most comfortable saddle ever! No kidding.

I have seen some cheapy Aussie saddles, and even owned one, and let me tell you, they are NOT worth it, nor will your horse be happy in it. Most of what is sold on ebay is CRAP and you will regret your purchase afterwards (excluding any good name brands that are sold such as Syd Hill, etc - you see them sometimes)

My husband and I both own a Bates Outback Poley Stock saddle...THE BEST!!!! If you are not familiar with Bates saddles, they have the exchangeable gullet system which gives you a custom fit to your horse, no matter how many times he changes shape. Also, our saddles have the CAIR panel system, which has worked wonders on our horses performance and mood. I own a QH/Arab mix and my husband's horse is a TWH, and they both love being tacked up! I like the Bates saddle because you can get it with dressage style billets, thus eliminating the overgirth and pinching problems, and the stirrups are just like an english saddle, not so bulky.

This saddle usually retails new for close to $2000 USD which is a bit pricey, but the leather quality is gorgeous!!! If you want to spend less, Wintec makes an exact replica, only in synthetic materials. Some people don't want to have to bother oiling and cleaning their leather regularly, in which case the Wintec version is better.

My horse has an Arab brain, and can do silly things, and I love the deep seat of the Aussie saddle for this reason. I have been bucked out of it, and it hurts like hell, so don't ever make the mistake of thinking that you are invincible in this saddle, even though you will feel like it once you sit in it! But it does give you a little bit more security, just don't forget good training too! haha
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:22 AM  
Kid Safe

One thing I forgot to mention...the Bates Outback saddle cannot be used with the extra wide gullet size, so if your horse has really wide withers, this might not work for you, unfortunately.
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 AM  
Yearling Member

Thanks all, for experience and what nots,. and special thanks to cnspots. I went to the website, and they were very helpful,got a catalog, received it the other day, and they also gave me information for fitting the saddle perfectly to my horse and so much more stuff. Very very helpful.
So Working on getting the right one.
With my paint stallion, he is wide load, with not much in the withers dept., so saddles do roll on him. So I do have to be careful with what I pick out.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:23 AM  
Seasoned

I've use an aussie for years and love them. Try "Down under saddlery". They have a wide range of aussie's in price and size to fit any horse. If it is rolling on a horse it doesn't fit and probably needs a wider tree. They are adjustable at the manufacturers. The wing things are called polly's. They are use to hold you in the saddle. You can also get them with diffrent style and size fenders.

They also have what is called a half breed for wide back horses. They look like a western saddles with the pollies on them for security.
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:37 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I bought an Aussie a few months ago for my husband who rides a 14H QH mare, she's very stocky and sturdy, wide backed with low, flat withers. Got it from Down Under Saddle Supply, was advertised on a program I was watching on RFD TV, all necessary info from their website, we sent a withers tracing to customize the fit, the model we chose was incredibly inexpensive, was a new but scratch&dent model, full warranty, all fittings included, believe it or not it was shipped to my house about a week later, free shipping, total cost was, get this, $185!! Now, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" was reluctant to buy it, expected it to be cr*p, but as my husband reminded me he doesn't ride that often or for very long so he talked me into it. We were quite pleasantly surprised, good quality, very comfortable, deep-seated, fit the horse, the 1st time my husband got on he disappeared for an hour and a half ride as opposed to his usual 20 minute jaunt. I was getting ready to launch a "search and rescue" operation when he returned, all smiles, he loves it, so I jumped on and have to say I whole-heartedly agree, it was great, never felt as secure in a seat as I did in that saddle, we have lots of hills, the poleys keep you firmly in place. I have a Stubben jumping saddle (my jumping days are LONG since over, lol) and a Hereford western saddle that I'm seriously thinking of selling and getting another Aussie. Now how long it will last is anybody's guess, but it's quite sturdily made, time will tell. I don't know if we got lucky or what but we would have to give 2 very enthusiastic thumbs-up to Aussie saddles!
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:08 PM  
Weanling Member

I've ridden Aussie saddles and they are good saddles, but they have a bit of a tendancy to slide.

My personal favorite saddle are Sports Saddle Treeless saddles. They don't slip, they fit dang near any horse, and you can feel every more the horse makes (and vice versa).

http://www.sportsaddle.com/noflash/index.html
Craftylady is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment