Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2005, 09:32 AM  
Long Yearling

Quarter Horse Bars/Semi Bars???

Can someone give me the low down on what a saddle description means when it is referring to bar sizes, what's the difference between them, and what type of bars generally fit what type of horses. I'm really confused on this issue.
THanks!
horses-n-greyhoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:42 AM  
Yearling Member

There are are a lot of questions asked about tree sizes. There are several different sizes of trees commonly found in saddles. Here they are listed from smallest to largest.

Semi Bar, Semi Quarter Horse bar - This type usually has a gullet width of about 6 1/2 inches.

Quarter Horse Bar - This type usually has a gullet width of about 6 3/4 inches. there are variations because of a makers opinion of what a Quarter Horse tree actually measures. Some makers do not carry a tree size larger than a 6 3/4 inch and therefore are not aware that there is a tree size larger on the market commonly referred to as a Full Quarter Tree with a gullet size of 7 inches.

Full Quarter Horse Bar - This size usually has a gullet width of 6 3/4 inches up to 7 inches.

Different makers tend to give different gullet dimensions in Quarter Horse and Full Quarter Horse trees. There are variations because of a makers opinion of what a Quarter Horse tree actually measures. These makers may call the regular Quarter Horse tree a Full Quarter Horse Tree. There is only way one way to be sure of the gullet width, ask the dealer what the gullet width is on the saddle you may be interested in. Be sure to get numbers and not just the term Quarter Horse tree or Full Quarter Horse tree if you need a gullet a certain size.
QuartersAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:46 AM  
Yearling Member

I have a quarter horse that you can definitley see he has a wither. He has a quarter horse bars. I also have a halter paint horse. that had no withers, because he was so massive around and he has a full bars saddle. It helps to fit him all the way around and causes the saddle to slip less. Your saddle should sit around your horses shoulders NOT on top of them. What size horse are you trying to fit? Do you have any pictures?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:42 PM  
Long Yearling

Thanks Quartersalltheway for an excellent response. NO wonder I've been confused.

My QH mare has a straight, long back. As far as her withers go, they are definitely there, but not what I would consider prominant. Here are some pics, which btw, are from the summer when I first brought her home. She has put on a considerable amount of weight since then....

[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 PM  
Pasture Pet

Fitting saddles is right up there with trying on bathing suits!

I don't know if this will help of be of no use but I'll try anyway.
The sorrel, Buster wears a full QH bars saddle with a 7" gullet. The dun Appaloosa, Peaches, has the same girth measurement but that saddle is too big.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM  
Yearling Member

there is actually a test you can do. Take a hanger or something that bends and molds anp put it over their withers where it would sit. Then take that and go two inches down and measure that however many inches it is, is the size you will need for bar size. Someone told me this once and I tried it and it worked for me. What kind of a sadlle do you use on her now?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:57 PM  
Long Yearling

"The dun Appaloosa, Peaches, has the same girth measurement but that saddle is too big."

Is this because she is more narrow in the shoulders?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment