Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 09:03 AM  
Newborn Member

Smooth seat saddle too slick!

How can I make a smooth seat saddle, less slick? I rode for years in a suede seat and those quick side movements are a lot easier to stay. I found a nice, quality saddle that better fits my new horse but it's a smooth seat and the slippage worries me. Any way to make it "sticky" ? I just wear jeans when riding.
Thanks for any input.
Tennyson'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM  
Kid Safe

A friend of mine has an english saddle she glued a piece of suede to and it's been on there for years and looks great, it's hardly noticable. I couldn't tell you what glue she used, sorry, probably leather glue.
I've tried a few western saddles over the years that didn't have roughout seats and thought about doing what my friend did but I also need the bit of puffiness so I haven't actually bought one.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 AM  
Greenbroke Member

there are actually products made to make a seat "sticky"

http://www.nunnfiner.com/Tack-Up-Gri...y-p/tackup.htm

i have found regular care of leather, cleaning and conditioning will also soften up leather and give it a more tacky grip.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

One solution is to wear different breeches or, cleaning the saddle with saddle soap which leaves a bit of a tacky residue behind.

What you do if you use saddle soap on a saddle is to squeeze as much water out of the sponge as you can, then load the sponge up on a bar of saddle soap (don't use the squishy stuff sold in tins), and then lightly cleaning the saddle. You then allow the saddle to dry for about 15 minutes and lightly buff the saddle with a towel. The residual saddle soap will tack up slick areas a bit.

Way-back-when the leather in saddles was really high quality, they used to stiffen the leather by infusing it with hardened bee's wax. Today they use paraffinic wax which almost never leeches out of the leather.

They way they used to get the wax out of the top layers of the leather many years ago (and I don't recommend this process on today's leather), was to use ammonia water on a rag (only dampened, not dripping) to take the artificial wax finish off the top of the leather. It made the saddle surface look like hell in some cases, but it did de-slick the hard 'factory finish. Some hardcore old-time foxhunters still use this process on their saddles (just to make their saddles look like they've been used for years when they weren't ), but the saddle has to be made in a certain old-fashioned way with really good leather for it to properly work (which is why I don't recommend this ammonia process as it can really screw up anything but the extremely highest quality leather if you make a mistake in the process).
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM  
Kid Safe

I think those "seat savers" that you put on a saddle work pretty good. Just make sure to strap it down well!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment