Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 06:18 PM  
Newborn Member

Help identifying a crosby saddle

I have a crosby saddle marked torino on the flap above the leather keep and stamped torino 1233 spring seat under the flap. I was curious what year this saddle would have been made and its intended use...all purpose, jumping etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have photos I can share.
mladams045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM  
Started

I have one..here is an old thread

hope this works..

does yours look like the one on the grey? I believe they are considered a close contact

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 PM  
Newborn Member

Torino

Yes it looks like the one on the grey...still no luck with finding its age or any information about it
mladams045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 AM  
Kid Safe

PM either Slim Pikkens or unclearthur... both have years of saddle work experience from being in the repair and retail businesses...they might be able to help you.

If the saddle has thick knee rolls it might be a A/P also...back then if age is accurate all saddles that I have seen had a round cantle...today squared cantle is indicative of a cc, round a a/p and dressage is just a look and you know there is no guessing on that one I think.

This saddle is very flat appearing without a deeper seat you see commonly on a/p....so cc is probably right even with knee rolls.

Good luck.
horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

If the saddle is Crosby Torino, it could be from the late 40's to late 50's.

One of the clues is the use of the term 'spring seat' (which is to say that the saddle is a 'spring tree' design) to indicate that the tree is designed to flex everywhere but the pommel. The top-line of this particular model saddle differs in the curve of the seat, especially in the twist area when viewed from the side. This design saddle is excellent for hunting and jumping, especially if you like a flat saddle.

A not on spring seat/spring tree saddles - some of them can be quite flexible which is the purpose of the design as it conforms better to the horse's back when the rider is seated. Prior to the 1960's, most saddles were rigid tree saddles, essentially solid wood without so much as even a hint of flexibility (like modern polo saddles). Smith Worthington introduced the spring seat/spring tree saddle in 1912 but they didn't catch on until the late 50's when people discovered that the saddles weighed a heck of a lot less than the rigid tree types.

Rigid tree saddles are making a comeback because of the availability of synthetic materials which are lighter than wood and more durable than spring tree saddles. Kiefer saddles are all one-piece moulded nylon or polyurothane rigid seats/rigid tree. They have a different feel compared to spring tree saddles.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment