Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 05:25 PM  
Halter broke

schematics for homemade horse cart/wagon?

Just wondering if anyone out there has made their own horse cart or wagon,
and if they could advise me where to get schematics or blue prints for a build?
I have looked at several to buy but they all look homemade and not quite what I want. I definitely want mine to have a braking system, and the majority I have seen don't have that, or only have a hand brake. thanks in advance for any advice.
matashray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:07 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to PaladinCentaur
I considered building my own cart a while back and had a really hard time finding any plans. Depending on what you have in mind two wheeled cart or four wheeled wagon type they both have their obstacles. The problem with building a two wheeled cart is that the weight has to be balanced just right with the shafts so it will balance on the horse correctly. The problem with building the four wheeled is that the pats can be expensive. The fifth wheel? axle the front one that allows the cart to turn pretty much has to be bought and what else was I trying to hunt down. . . The springs I think. A lot of places sell kits which can really help as well. Depends on how much you want to spend as well.

Best bet is too find some pictures of what you want and post those to give people a better idea of how to help.

http://www.buggybobs.com/about.htm

http://www.buggy.com/
PaladinCentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 PM  
Yearling Member

Sorry i can't be of help.

But you are better off buying one then making one. Craigslist usually has them for sale.

Making them is complicated. you have to have the right measurements and the correct balance or you'll put a lot of pressure on the horse.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 AM  
Halter broke

Thanks for the help, I have an axle and springs, so I am really looking for the dimensions so we can be sure that the balance is correct, for (hopefully) a smoother ride for us and a smoother pull for the horse. PaladinCentaur, those are good websites, I am sure I can find a blue print on one of them. Thanks.

Minis5772, The ones I have looked at on Craigslist are not well made or they are very expensive or both. If I come across one well made that I can afford I will buy one, If not I will continue with my project. I also know that this won't be a fast project and I am in no hurry, I will do the research and build a safe nice one or come across one I like (safe and well built) and buy it, or (sigh) I'll just have to suffer and keep riding. I guess there is always a silver lining. Thanks again ya'll

Last edited by matashray : 06-02-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM  
Weanling Member

My local HOrse and Tack in the Orlando area had a 4 wheel surrey and a beautiful meadowbrook for under 2k for sale.
I purchased my lovely Frazier Jog Cart for pretty cheap off Craigs list. I drive all over with that dang thing. LOL

You are honestly better off just buying the things already made.

I have personally never seen one with a brake. As far as I knew, the 'brake' is part of the harness hookup system. Part names fail me, it's late. Crupper? Breeching. Something like that combination is 'the brake' as far as I've ever known.

Proud horse mother of:
Zippys Delight, Peppys Chrome Sensation, and Go-Boomerang-Go!
ZippysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 AM  
Halter broke

thanks Zippys mom, I am glad to hear that a cart is as enjoyable as I hoped it would be. the Wagons I have checked into have had hand brakes, but I know a couple of people that have a different type of brake (however the correct term escapes me), and again who knows I may buy one I may make one. We will see what happens. Thankfully I am in no hurry at all, and we always have projects going on, so it is not first in line. I did get some plans and may buy others to compare with to determine what we want to do and in the meantime, keep looking on Craigslist and other sources at what is out there. It is always fun to see what will turn up.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment