Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 PM  
Coming two

Help with value and info on Simco & Billy Royal saddles + show tack

Hey guys. Would appreciate some help with information and current value on two saddles and some show tack.

The first saddle is a Simco. 15" seat, 6.5" gullet, 26" length overall for a skirt measurement. The numbers 5552 stamped on the tie strap holder - A 24582 stamped under the fender. In pretty good condition.

The second saddle is a Billy Royal pleasure saddle that's had nice silver added to it. 15" seat, 6" gullet, 25.5" length. Was used as an arab show saddle, no idea if it's actually built on an arab tree (help!) 39110 stamped on tie strap holder - 1 89 stamped up under the fender. Also in good condition. The silver is definitely nice quality - I've only taken the tie holder piece off and that didn't have a maker's mark on it... But for the quality, I'm guessing Montana Silversmith.

This bit... I don't really know anything about it. I couldn't find a maker's mark on it... Value, info, any input would be great!

Show headstall and breastcollar. I can't find any maker's mark on either. The silver is Montana Silversmith. I'm simply guessing at them both being Billy Royal. The headstall is a one-ear in really good condition.

And romel reins. Again, simply guessing at them being Billy Royal. Definitely good quality, but in need of a good cleaning.

The tack is all a matched set that was used on an arab. Any information and current value estimations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!
Goldun Acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM  
Seasoned

Judging by the shorter skirts, the Billy Royal could very well be an arabian tree. The fact it is dark oil and the style is also the current fashion for arabians. But the gullet being narrower makes me wonder if it's not a semi quarter horse. My arabian tree Circle Y had almost an 8" gullet

The bit is most likely a Kelly. Again very popular on the arab circuits. Just a medium port. I sold mine on ebay with a funkier port and rollers for around 75 dollars.

Bridle is Billy Royal, I had the light oil version. Sold it this spring for 125.

A good place to get an idea on values is to check the Schneiders Tack website. They sell alot of billy royal stuff and a lot of arabian gear.

The romals are nice are they flat or braided. Flat aren't as popular . If they are braided round and in good shape a nice set of romals is minimum several hundred dollars....more if they are weighted and truly billy royal.

Last edited by recklesshoundog : 09-15-2011 at 07:54 PM.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM  
Bombproof Member

Very nice condition. Unfortunately 15's are harder to sell as many riders need 16 and 17" seats. The Simco has wide bars and the BC, semi. It's the roper style front that might cause one to think Arab saddle. The silver on the Simco is a nickle alloy, which will never tarnish or lose it's finish. The BC might be Montana, can't tell because of the shine. The Simco cinch ring plus style denote it was likely made in the mid to late 70's, early 80's as was the Billy Cook. The number may denote 5th month of 82. I had inquired to Simco regarding a saddle I have and this is what I was told and where to find it. The teardrop style on the bridle ring appeared about this time as well. Price? The market is literally flooded with saddles which means it's a buyer's market. Do let us know how you price these out and perhaps someone here will buy one.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM  
Coming two

Both saddles look to be in very nice condition!! I have an old Simco similar to the one pictured got it in about 1980 so yes 30+ years old.I still use it quite alot,mostly as a training saddle,have had it on a variety of different horses over the years & has never caused problems.The silver accents on it are like the one pictured old style but polish up great no finish ever coming off/flaking.BC saddle looks nice too but if it is Montana silver even though the engraving is nicer the silver does not hold up/polish up as nice in my experience.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM  
Bombproof Member

Sorry, had Billy Cook name in my head, meant Billy Royal.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Pikkens View Post
Sorry, had Billy Cook name in my head, meant Billy Royal.
Knew what you meant! Thanks for the input.

The tack belongs to a friend - he asked me to list it for him. He's hoping to get $1200 for everything (all tack pictured, plus some other little odds and ends.)

I'm trying to get an idea how to price everything.
Goldun Acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 AM  
Started

Like Slim said, it is a buyer's market for saddles right now.

I suspect the Simco is built on a Ralide tree. We had one about that same vintage as my son's second saddle, after he outgrew his Hereford-TexTan Youth Saddle. In fact, it looked like the Billy Royal! So I'm guessing they are both close to 30 year old saddles. The bit and other tack are nice add ons, but unless somebody just wants that particular stuff, getting a thousand dollars out of all of it might be tough.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:47 AM  
Halter broke

I may be interested in the bit and bridle, honestly have no use for the rest of it! Sorry. PM me and we can see what we can do! I'm not on here much (no time), so don't fret if I don't respond right away! It may take me a day or so!
Thanks.

Chris

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"-Alexander Hamilton
lookinforhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 PM  
Bombproof Member

I picked up a Simco saddle almost identical to your Simco, minus the corner plates for $110. It too is in vg condition. Mine has better resale value having a 16" seat. I also picked up another Simco for $160. I don't recall saddles going so cheaply but times are tough for so many.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment