Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM  
Newborn Member

Does anyone recognize the maker's mark on this saddle?

It appears to be a western roping saddle. Here are photos of the saddle and the maker's mark but my eyes aren't good enough to be able to tell what the mark is.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
rwood54741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 PM  
Bombproof Member

Definitely not a roper. It's an older style of barrel racer with the roughout seat and jockeys. This was popular in the 70's. The saddle appears to be of decent quality. The style of the cantle and the conchos makes me think this is a Simco made saddle. I find it odd that the strap keeper is so water checked when there is no evidence of that elsewhere. It may not be original to this saddle. Why do I think it's a 16" seat?
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 AM  
Coming two

I agree. It looks a lot like a Simco.
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 AM  
Started

One of Simco's trademarks was the "daisy", usually stamped on the top of the horn.

This saddle has flowers in the conchos, but I don't think it is a Simco "daisy".

The saddles I bought for my son in the early '80's had the stainless steel lacing at fork and cantle like this one.

One was a TexTan, the other a Simco. This saddle actually looks more like his TexTan.

Saddlemakers have been known to make saddles for "chain stores" that had the store brand on the latigo keeper and no identifying marks elsewhere.

Some tack shops have "changed out" the keeper to put their brand on a saddle, usually so they could charge a higher price.

The saddle appears to be in better shape andof better quality leather than the keeper, so whether it was changed "on purpose" or as a replacement, I don't think it is "original."

I'm also wondering if the roughout seat and jockeys are original. The stitching doesn't look the same.

I can't see the rigging plate in the picture. Simco used a single-slot cast bronze or brass rigging. The three-way (two slot) brass plate was used more by other makers.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM  
Long Yearling

could it be made by buffalo saddle co.? I bought one that looked similar with the tooling.
susanspice is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment