Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 07:46 PM  
Kid Safe

SRS Saddles- New pics, please help!

I took Joey for a saddle fitting today and this is the brand of saddle I'm trying out for a few days. I also bought a contoured pad so that should help, too.
The thing is I've never heard of the SRS saddles and I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the model I have. When I bought my Circle G from the same place I found it for sale in a few places in the states for the same price so I felt good about what I was paying. I can only find a couple of SRS saddles on eBay and they're not the same at all and are pretty cheap.

This one is not at all like the kind of saddle that catches my eye. No silver, no padded seat, mostly roughout, no cheyenne roll, square skirts, it's just not pretty. But if it fits Joey and my butt I'll get it.

It's not a flex tree. We tried the Circle Y flex that was there and it didn't fit at all.

Here's some pictures of it on him without a pad. His wither's so high it was almost impossible to fit him. Even if he does fill out in the back he'll still have the high wither so this one seems quite good. It's just sitting there, it's not done up. What do you guys think?

Last edited by NorthernHorseGirl : 07-16-2010 at 08:39 PM.
NorthernHorseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:12 PM  
Kid Safe

OKay, I still don't know how good they are but I've found a few new ones in the states and not one is over $1000. The one I'm trying is $1600. Poop.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM  
Kid Safe

I like it, and think it looks like a good fit! Are those leather conchos? It's hard to tell from the picture - almost look like they're reflecting light like small silver ones would - but if they are leather, you could probably replace them with silver ones, and put a nice pad on top of the contoured one you just bought - that would dress it up . It kind of looks like a plain Bob's saddle to me, and I really like those; was just looking at a whole bunch of them that The Mill Store had at the Reining Alberta show last weekend
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM  
Started

I like it too. Like the "cut away" skirt for closer contact and love (JMO) the roughout fenders and seat, more security in the saddle. Almost looks like an Equatition seat? You can order silver conchos etc.. and put them on yourself or have a saddle store do it for you to dress it it up.
Don't know about the brand, but if it fits your horse, that is the most important part, add a show type wool pad over the regular pad and that will dress it up too.

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 PM  
Kid Safe

Oh for god's sake. My post disappeared again. This is getting silly.

Anyway, you guys are very observant! The metal pieces where the strings are attached are this crappy metal that's definitely not silver. It reminds me of the 'silver' on the sadles of the horses outsdie of grocery stores. I'll have to see what my options are with that.

Here's what Joey's back is like so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Here's the new contoured pad. I wear light purple so it'll still match my show shirt. I could even wear blue.

From what I've read it sounds liek this saddle is decent quality so the question is should I get it or try to find the same one cheaper on-line. I'm scared it won't be the right one and then I'll be hooped. I can't seem to find the same one on-line so that might be why the ones I'm finding are cheaper.

Last edited by NorthernHorseGirl : 07-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.
NorthernHorseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 PM  
Newborn Member

here is a link to the company that makes Srs. it looks like they make a line called Brazos which is a better quality but almost twice the price. i believe your saddle type is under cutting and ranch cutting. for 1600 it should be the Brazos line. hope it helps.

http://www.paultaylorsaddlecompany.c...03/Saddles.htm
gixxerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 PM  
Started

the ONLY problem I can see with the saddle is the square skirt digging into his hip as he moves. Have you ridden in it? Has he showed any discomfort?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 PM  
Kid Safe

I'd figure out what shipping and exchange would cost you to buy it online, and see what the difference will end up being first. Then tell the company you've borrowed the saddle from that you found them online, and what they cost there, and ask if they could come down on the price
Old 07-10-2010, 11:57 PM  
Kid Safe

Thanks so much Gixxerick! I found the site myself about an hour ago and figured out that the one I have is $895 from them. It's a ranch cutter. All of the SRS ranch cutters are $895. The shipping estimate link doesn't work but I can't imagine that shipping would be more than $100.

So I'm not interested in buying this one for $1600 when I could order it for less than $1100 and get one with silver conchos instead of the tin things with strings. My concern about ordering would be that they don't talk about trees on the site so I don't know if the one I have would have the same tree if I ordered it. There's nothing on it indicating the model number, I had to figure it out from the seat size and picture.

I'm going to try it out for a day or two and if it fits take it back and tell her what I can get it for and see if she'll move on her price. I wouldn't mind paying something like $1300 but no more.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:01 AM  
Newborn Member

yeah the only prob with the company on line is they say no returns. that kinda sucks. at least at the local tack shop u could prob get them to take it back if theres a problem. good luck
gixxerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 AM  
Kid Safe

From the link gixxerrick posted, here's the contact page link http://www.paultaylorsaddlecompany.c...Contact_Us.htm Hopefully they're knowledgeable and can help you make sure you're getting the right one to fit Joey, and also some sort of quote for shipping
Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 AM  
Yearling Member

AG and NHG have discussed Canadian marked up prices on FB. If I had special ordered the Circle Y saddle I wanted from said store that NHG is dealing with, I was told the sale would be final. Not a policy I would be happy with. Especially since I worked in two tack shops in my youth that always accepted returns. If I had not found a used one, I would have ordered a new one from the US and saved myself about $400.00.

Here is another online store that sells the SRS saddles. ships Internationally and does accept returns.

http://www.kotrading.com/

I am sure there are more out there.

Last edited by Thoroughbred Lady : 07-11-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Thoroughbred Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 AM  
Started

SRS saddles are very common in this area. The instant I saw it I knew exactly what it was!!! We ride cutters and see these all the time! You're right it is a ranch cutter. In our area you can find them anywhere from $450 (used) $650 (like new, barely used) or around $850 (new). Most are excellent quality saddles for the price. I would compare them a Billy Cook or Circle Y quality. The leather even on a new one is usually really supple and nice - not stiff like some of the BC or CY's. If this saddle had a cheyenne roll I would want it for myself. I prefer the ranch cutters to a regular flat seat cutter. My only word of caution about ordering one is watch where the fenders hang. This is very important, trust me!!! Some of the SRS saddles have the fender hung more straight down from the seat - stay away from them! Even if they appear to be the same model watch out for the fender placement. If the fender is straighter under the seat they will throw you forward and out of balance. (We've ridden some like this- we all hate them!) They are uncomfortable and you will fight to stay in the seat. See how the fender of this saddle (the one you have borrowed) is set slightly more forward? This is good. This is much more comfortable and it will keep you in position easier and set back where you are supposed to be. I have not owned an SRS but several of the guys we ride with do. Most of them love the saddles and I have ridden in them to see how they felt. The ones with the more forward fenders are great, the ones with the straighter fenders are horrible. Same materials, same quality, just different placement. The next time I need to go saddle shopping and if I find one like this (with a cheyenne roll) I wouldn't hesitate to buy it - but not for $1,600.

Last edited by lopintoo : 07-11-2010 at 01:45 AM.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 AM  
Started

Also wanted to ad that the square skirts are not a problem. Think about it, most cutters are in the 14 hand range and shorter coupled. These saddles work on them fine.

Last edited by lopintoo : 07-11-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 AM  
Kid Safe

Thanks so much for all the help everybody! It's really appreciated.
TB & AG, thanks for the links.

Lopintoo, what about the fact that they don't ask about what tree when you order them? Are they all the same? I find it a bit odd that it's a cutter because my Circle G is a cutting saddle and has lots of space in the shoulder because of it being a cutter, which is part of the reason it doesn't fit Joey. This saddle doesn't have that room in the shoulders.
Also, this one has a 17 inch seat and I wear a size 12, that seems kind of big for me but it's really comfortable. I agree about the cantle, I prefer a cheyenne roll. I don't like the square skirts because of the look but it's how it fits, not the look that matters.
My other issue is that it's quite heavy.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 PM  
Kid Safe

I sent an email to the place that makes the SRS saddles. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.
I tried riding in it today. Because the pad was brand new I could get a good dirt pattern. The dirt was where his scapulas are and about a foot and a half from the back edge of the pad to the back edge. There was almost no dirt from his wither to about a foot behind it, basically in the middle of his back. He's not collecting properly so I'm thinking that when he does learn to collect and round his back it'll fill up that area but if it's filled now he's not going to round his back and will not be able to collect properly. Does that make sense?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM  
Started

Most of your cutting saddles are made on a Buster Welch tree. It is a standard cutting horse tree. I am not sure if SRS offers more than on for a cutter, just that the BW is the cutting standard. They have different trees for different disciplines. A western pleasure saddle would not be made with this tree as they are shaped different for different uses. Every maker will make their saddle slightly different. We have never heard of a Circle G saddle so I do not know how to compare them. Also in the way they fit the horse and yours having more shoulder room, would be more along the lines of the tree and gullet size not necessarily the style of saddle. As with any style of saddle they do have different tree widths. Your's could be a wider size. This saddle (the one you borrowed) is a typical cutting saddle. It is a ranch cutter so it will have a little more rise to the seat than a regular cutter, but otherwise it should be very similar to most well known cutting saddles. I am not a big person (5'1" and a little "fluffy") I perfer a 16" cutting saddle. For me a 17" just feels too big. It is mostly a matter of preference though. Some of the guys ride 16" and some ride 17" even if they are the same size person. Square skirts are very popular in cow horse saddles.

ETA: I did keep one WP horse. If he ever goes back to the show pen he will be in a cow horse saddle. After riding cutting saddles for the last several years there is no way I'm going back to an equitation type saddle again. He'll just have to show in a nicer one with square skirts - they look really sharp with silver too!!

Last edited by lopintoo : 07-11-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM  
Started

I've got a Weaver synthetic English saddle that's just as heavy as a leather one. I just bought a leather Barrel saddle for my new boy, noe that I've converted to western and LOVE it, it used, so it's nicely broken in, no leg/ankle pain from breaking in the fenders either. It's got a round skirt, which I prefer, doesn't interfere with their hip or cause any hip pain/rubbing. My barrel saddle weighs about 23 pounds. It is made by a local saddle maker here, Ruff's Saddle Shop, believe me they make excellent saddles and everyone in Fl. knows them.

You can also email pics of your horse, with the saddle on (no pad) and without and maybe they can help with the fit? don't know, but it's worth a try...

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 PM  
Kid Safe

So I took it back to the tack shop. She's more than willing to honour the price I can get it for on-line but I'm still not convinced that it's the way to go. The chiropracter was out for him again this evening and was trying to talk me into a treeless again- one of the Barefoot saddles. Her concern is that it's his back end that has the issues and the saddle I tried goes rather far back, plus the saddle bridges a bit but I could fill that in a bit and I think it might be good for him to have room to bring his back up if I can get him collecting properly.
I'm going to take a picture of the dirt marks under the pad so you guys can see how the saddle fits. Hopefully that will tell me something.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 PM  
Kid Safe

Okay, here's the underside of the pad. This is from one ride for about 15 minutes including walk, trot and lope and the pad was brand new before we started so it should show exactly what the saddle was doing and how it was fitting.
I see that it wasn't contacting his spine but that it was bridging a bit. It's also not tight on his wither but it sits just below it. What do you guys think?
Thank you!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment