Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 AM  
Newborn Member

Anyone try a flextree saddle?

My friend just sent me this link to eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/DENIM-FLEXTREE-W...item563c392c5c

We've had a hard time finding a barrel saddle we like to run our horse in because they are usually uncomfortable for us to be in or rub like they shouldn't do. I was wondering if anyone tried this or if not if you think it's worth a try.
BabyBetterMakeIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBetterMakeIt View Post
My friend just sent me this link to eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/DENIM-FLEXTREE-W...item563c392c5c

We've had a hard time finding a barrel saddle we like to run our horse in because they are usually uncomfortable for us to be in or rub like they shouldn't do. I was wondering if anyone tried this or if not if you think it's worth a try.
Read some reports on Hilason, you may not want to give .50 cents for one

http://www.horsetackreview.com/resul...rail%20Saddles

http://www.horsetackreview.com/resul...rrel%20Saddles

SouthernTrailsGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 AM  
Started

Personally I think it should be illegal to sell junk like that.

Remember--you get what you pay for.

Keep looking............please

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM  
Long Yearling

Stay away from Hilason, I've yet to hear one good thing about their saddles.
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM  
Newborn Member

But flex trees in general? That was the first I had seen of them. Thanks for the tip though!
BabyBetterMakeIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 AM  
Weanling Member

Alot of people seem to be under the misconception that Flex Trees can fit a variety of horses becasue the tree flexes. This is not the case. I would concentrate on finding a good fitting, good quality saddle.
Skipshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM  
Yearling Member

I have an Ortho Flex saddle which contours to any horses back and withers, and by any I mean ANY (haven't tried it on a draft though) If you have one horse I would focus on measuring and getting a saddle that can fit that horse, and by focus I would spend the time and money into it. But if your like me and you have several horses with several types of backs, maybe an ortho flex is for you, however they are somewhat pricey. I also have a Gen 2 Tucker Endurance Saddle with a medium tree which seems to work well on my guys too. All in all, just spend the time and money because you don't want an ill fitting saddle that ends up costing you in the end.

***FYI if you have time on your side I would wait till the off season as saddles are not at bargain prices this time of the year...

jerseygirlgonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 AM  
Started

There are several with Flex trees and that is different than a Flex Panel (OrthoFlex, Timberline, etc). I have a gaited western saddle with a flex tree (Dixieland brand)- fits like any other saddle - though I have read that if you are over a certain weight, you shouldn't use a flex tree - don't know if that it true. The Flex tree has no noticable flex (like a flex panel does), and I would guess would be fitted as you would fit any saddle.

Flex panels - many people love them - had one, an OrthoFlex - and it did fit both my wide guys and not so wide guy in the withers wonderfully - sored the loins of my one horse where the panel sat on the loins and had too much movement in addition to the very large rear on that particular horse. Not the first time I have heard of loin issues, esp in gaited horses.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM  
Long Yearling

My barrel saddle has a "flex tree."

But, as someone else said, it's a misconception that a flex tree will fit a variety of horses. It will still just fit a horse that it's made for. What the flex tree does is allow it to form and flex with the horse's movement--intented to eliminate saddle soreness and allow a performance horse to really stretch out, or get down and turn, and use their shoulders and back.

"No horse ever goes as fast as the money you spend on him."
Rockin GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM  
Bombproof Member

I own a TexTan Flex 'Hillcrest' Trail/Pleasure saddle, and I LOVE it!!
(Though, on the 'Horse Tack Review' website, the person that reviewed their same saddle didn't seem to like theirs as much,.., Oh well,...,).
Mine fits my horse great, and is very comfortable.
The 'flex tree' automatically conforms to the horse's back, and allows for 'uninhibited' movement because the 'panels' move with the horse, from side to side

I also own an older TexTan, as well, and I happen to think the older saddle is better quality leather, but other than that,..,
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM  
Seasoned

I'll never buy another flex tree saddle. It almost ruined my horse. Mine was a Big Horn Equifit flex tree saddle.

Flex trees are not for "fluffy" riders. The bars can flex you right down onto the spine. Some are better than others. Two of our local saddle makers refuse to use flex tree saddles in anything they make because they do not feel they provide as much support.

I have an Orthoflex flex panel saddle and love it. Yes, a flex panel saddle can sore the loins (or withers) of a horse if it is not cinched tightly enough (you need to mount and the check that the cinch can only be pulled out form the horse about an inch) and/or if the cinch is not properly sized. Cinched properly, they should not move enough to cause that type of soring.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM  
Started

I have a Circle Y Flex---I like it and so does my horse.
No back problems.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:32 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboy View Post
I own a TexTan Flex 'Hillcrest' Trail/Pleasure saddle, and I LOVE it!!
(Though, on the 'Horse Tack Review' website, the person that reviewed their same saddle didn't seem to like theirs as much,.., Oh well,...,).
Mine fits my horse great, and is very comfortable.
The 'flex tree' automatically conforms to the horse's back, and allows for 'uninhibited' movement because the 'panels' move with the horse, from side to side

I also own an older TexTan, as well, and I happen to think the older saddle is better quality leather, but other than that,..,

Nice saddle I like that Looks simular to my older Circle Y
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 AM  
Bombproof Member

If a tree will bend and flex that much, what is the point? The ad sounds good to the unsuspecting. It's unfortunate more people don't ask questions here about saddles prior to purchase. I don't have a flex-tree and my horses do fine. You need to find a saddle that is comfortable for you, and fit's the horse fairly well. BTW - if you can buy a new saddle for under $700 I'd run the other way because something has been skimped on somewhere and it's not always visible.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM  
Weanling Member

I also ride in a tex tan flex tree...you get what you pay for. If you want a high quality, comfortable saddle that will last you a lifetime, you're going to pay more for it but in my opinion, its worth it especially for the lasting comfort of your horse. This is the new to me, used saddle I just bought, its a tex tan hereford..redboy, it looks very similar to yours although I bought mine used so I'm not sure of the exact name of this model, any ideas?
CoolReward612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolReward612 View Post
..redboy, it looks very similar to yours although I bought mine used so I'm not sure of the exact name of this model, any ideas?

Check their catalog,..., if you have a serial # it might be in there

TEXTAN Western Saddle and Tack Manufacturer

PS., Thanks Mingiz, I've been really happy with this saddle so far.
Of course, I quickly changed out the stirrups for 'trail stirrups',..., Ahhhh,..., much better!!

Last edited by redboy : 05-13-2010 at 08:20 AM.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 PM  
Weanling Member

cool, thanks!
CoolReward612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:39 PM  
Yearling Member

Another vote for the Tex Tan flex tree! I bought the Tex Tan Montrose saddle brand new over 2 years ago. It fits my paint mare with no sore spots, even after a 3 hour mountain trail ride. It's also noticeably more comfy than regular saddles. I've put many people on mine and it's a hit every time.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM  
Newborn Member

I had that exact saddle you linked from ebay (Hilason), to be totally honest it fit my horse very well, no complaints from her at all. Now fitting me... Not so much! It will leave bruises on top of your thighs from hitting them.

I won't ever buy one again, just sold mine for 100. and got a 1950s vintage Keyston Bros roping saddle. Heavy as hell, but comfy.
Babygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipshooter View Post
Alot of people seem to be under the misconception that Flex Trees can fit a variety of horses becasue the tree flexes. This is not the case. I would concentrate on finding a good fitting, good quality saddle.

I agree w/ above.

I heard flex trees do more damage than good to a horse (esp their back) when the rider is too heavy and the flex tree flexes straight down the horses back.

I will stick to a good quality, well fitted saddle any day.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment