Horsetopia Forum

Horsetopia Forum (http://forum.horsetopia.com/index.php)
-   Tack, Apparel and Equipment (http://forum.horsetopia.com/tack-apparel-equipment-15/)
-   -   Crosby Saddles Website or Information? (http://forum.horsetopia.com/tack-apparel-equipment/122208-crosby-saddles-website-information.html)

Miichelle 03-18-2010 11:13 AM

Crosby Saddles Website or Information?

I bought a nice, older, Crosby All Purpose saddle and I'd like to find out some more about it but I can't find a website or contact info for Crosby. It was made back when Crosby was owned by Millers (it has "Crosby Miller England" on the buttons) so it should be a late 80's early 90's model. It doesn't have a model name on it anywhere but it must have been a signature series saddle because it has a scribble of someone's name stamped on the underside of the flaps. The serial number is AF 2 6 1662. I'll post pictures later today.

horselover4life 03-18-2010 12:28 PM

Try this link to the manufacturer.....crosbysaddle.com - this might help you some.
Most of the 'bigger' retail operations, Dover, Stateline, Ricks Heritage, all carry Crosby named saddles. You could try calling them and asking your specific questions. They have all been in business for a long time and may be able to help you.

ETA: I think Millers was bought by Eisers... if they still exist, try googling them for more info.

beezwing 03-18-2010 06:51 PM

I don't think that is the manufacturers web site. I did some research when I found my crosby and couldn't come up with much. Mine is a Torino...best guess from the 40's or 50's

horselover4life 03-18-2010 08:30 PM

OK... so add www.crosbysaddles.com . It will take you directly to "Crosby Saddles made in Walsall England". Providing your saddle was made in England? They have several saddles listed... more importantly they have a "ask a question or comments" section that you can access for answers to any of the questions you may have. As far as I can see, it looks like it is the Crosby site... but who knows... can't hurt to look around..

beezwing..I googled, they sent me this address as official... they do have reference to saddles made a long time ago... maybe you can still find information for yourself. Doesn't hurt to look and see...

If it isn't the site you are searching for... you still might get an answer to questions you have... they also have links to other sites...

eventergirl09 03-18-2010 08:32 PM

I ride in a crosby--I like it other than its hard, not very comfortable, and its slick..not very good for the cross country course!
If you know anyone looking for a used crosby, I HAVE ONE FOR SALE! :)

Miichelle 03-19-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventergirl09 (Post 1803370)
I ride in a crosby--I like it other than its hard, not very comfortable, and its slick..not very good for the cross country course! If you know anyone looking for a used crosby, I HAVE ONE FOR SALE! :)

I don't know which model you have (I don't even know what model I have!) but some of the Crosby close contact saddles that I've ridden have been hard as a rock! This saddle is soft and has nice supple "tacky" leather.the only thing I don't like about it is that it has a pretty deep seat, which is comfy and secure, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it over fences. I didn't get pictures posted so it will probably be Monday before I have a chance, we have Pony Club rally this weekend.

beezwing 03-19-2010 03:37 PM

mine is of the hard as a rock, slicker than goose grease variety;) I bought it to improve my seat. I use my sticky deep wintec dressage pro for anything besides ring work;)

k

Slim Pikkens 03-20-2010 07:30 AM

A close contact has a square cantle. The Hunterdon model has unpadded flaps.

beezwing 03-20-2010 09:28 AM

the square cantles are also a 1980's marker..if my mind remembers those dim times correctly:laughing6:

k

Miichelle 03-20-2010 12:01 PM

I've been browsing saddles online (on my phone at rally) and I think it may be the Corinthian Event Saddle. Crosby made the Corinthian in a dressage, a close contact, and an A/P (Event) saddle, with or without padded flaps. This saddle has a rounded deeper seat without padded flaps. The Hunterdon isn't as deep as this saddle (neither is the Mark VI, although both look similar to it).

Miichelle 03-20-2010 12:25 PM

Actually, it doesn't look like the Hunterdon. I can only find the Hunterdon in a CC (maybe that's all they made?). It does look like a Mark VI (with a deeper seat) or a Corinthian. It has the "pebbled" leather and I thought they only made the Corinthian in a smooth leather but they made so many different types of Corinthians, who knows? My first English saddle was a Corinthian (only a lot smaller! :) ), I've come full circle...

Slim Pikkens 03-20-2010 07:07 PM

You may have an eventer. The flaps on them are a little longer. One I repaired had roughout knee pads and a nice deep seat.