Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 PM  
Long Yearling

Looking for a how to on replacing horse trailer floorboards.

Anyone know how much it is to have them replaced? or know a website that shows you how to do it yourself.
Deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 PM  
Started

Some are easy, some are hard, some actually require cutting and welding to replace. If you can send a picture, maybe I can give a little advice. But without knowing how your trailer is built, it would be tough.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM  
Long Yearling

I can tell you 3 years ago, I replaced a 2 horse straight load floor, it was right at $500.00.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 PM  
Long Yearling

The trailer is a 91 C&B slant with tack room. floor boards run all the way from front to back of trailer bracing bars under it. tack wall is not removable.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 AM  
Started

OK, I'm going to take a shot in the dark here. I'm not familiar with that trailer brand. The longitudionally oriented boards are easier to replace that the lateral ones.

I suspect that there is a slot in the front of the trailer frame that the boards fit in, and a slot along each wall. What will make them difficult to replace is if there is a slot in the frame at the back. If not, if they just extend out over the "sill" at the back of the trailer, they are fairly easy to replace.

Use good 2" lumber either hardwood or pressure treated, in the appropriate width (some are six inches, some eight).

I am going to guess the boards are held in place by carriage bolts, with a rounded head on top and the nut end on the bottom. If they've held in place since 1991, they are probably rested solid, and the hardest part of replacing the floor will be getting those bolts out. If you can replace them with stainless steel, you'll be better off, but it will cost more.

If you've got the time, the tools, and the talent, you can probably do this job for whole lot less than $500.

But unless you've got a lift, you are going to be on the ground underneath that trailer sawing off all the bolts, and then back there tigthening them up when you are finished.

I'd pay the money to get the job done right, and to avoid the effort, but them I am the OLD bear! If you are young and energetic, go for it!
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM  
Pasture Pet

No expert here but hubby just did a 2 horse trailer and he used rough cut hickory 2 inches thick the boards are 8 inches wide, he measured the width of the trailer and had the sawmill cut the lumber so he did not have to split the wood, cost was $90.00. cut the boards for in the nose section and bolted the board in the long section, and going to use floor mats on top of that, actually left a little bit of room between boards so they can breath and water
will not stay on top.

Last edited by horselady : 01-22-2010 at 05:07 PM.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 PM  
Long Yearling

Well I built my own stall fronts see my website home page. So I have the skills just looking for input if there is a particular way to do it. I would use the pressure treated wood and probably paint it with some sort of weather sealant. I think the end of the boards just rests on a ledge. I would use stainless bolts as well for longevity.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:22 PM  
Long Yearling

I just purchased the trailer but the end of the boards at the entrance to the trailer are a bit soft about 4 inches up the boards on two the rest are solid. They are braced inderneath about 8 inches away from the soft wood It was inspected and they said it is ok but I want to replace them for my own peice of mind.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment