Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM  
Weanling Member

Please Help-knee Brace For Riding

Hi,

I need help in finding a good knee brace that is effective for riding. I have horrible knees that give out, hurt, bruise, swell, etc., I have been to the physical therapist and all they do is tell me to stop riding and focus on physical therapy exercises and that is just not an option. The problem is I cannot ride long becuase my knees start throbbing and then the horrible pain sets in, then the next morning I wake up to bruised up knees the front, sides, and back of the knees. I am desperate need of a good knee brace for riding and possibly one that is padded because the side of my knees that rub on my fenders really gets bruised up. Does anyone have a brace that works for them or heard of one, I am need of advice on some so I can get on asap. Thanks so much.

Rest In Peace My Beautful Baby Dakota, We Will Always Love And Miss You !
SkipsChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM  
Weanling Member

Anyone?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 PM  
Yearling Member

Are you being followed by an orthopedic surgeon? If so, I'd ask for a good supportive brace to ride in. If you're knee problem is from a torn meninscus, they're relatively easy to repair. Little to no down time as far as walking, and with a few weeks of exercise , you'll wonder why you didn't get it fixed a long time ago! Regardless of what the undelying issue is, be sure to be careful so that you don't get further injuries!! Good luck!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I'm no help with knee braces but I have knee pain too if I ride in my saddle without those "stirrup turning thingys"...lol, I can't remember the right name for them. They attach between the fender and the stirrup and turn the stirrup perpendicular to the horses body so your knees are not having to that. Of course I don't think these would help you with the bruising but thought I would mention it.
Mister's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 PM  
Seasoned

What is the cause of the knee pain/swelling? I think that should be addressed first and fixed, if possible, so that you can continue riding.

I would think a doctor would be able to tell you what kind of support to use so that you don't further injure your knees.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM  
Weanling Member

two of my muscles in my knee above the knee cap and below the knee cap are suppose to work together, instead they work against each other. Basically they pull away from each other instead of going together, so it causes tiny tears in the muccles and that causes the bruising and the pain. All the doctors did was throw me in physical therapy and told me to cut out all activity other than walking. There was no fix solution, I cannot live doing nothing except for everday walking. That is why I am looking for a good supportive knee brace, hoping it will help support these muscls. My knee does better anytime I wear a brace, but my braces are just for walking and not as supportive as they need to be for riding.

Last edited by SkipsChic : 01-03-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 AM  
Bombproof Member

Have you tried a Big Horn saddle with cordura nylon fenders? They take all the pressure off your knees compared to a leather saddle. If you completely relax your legs, as tho riding bareback, and roll your pelvis (tuck your butt) deeper your lower back will act as a shock absorber but it has to be very relaxed to do so. I'd wonder about a knee brace rubbing the inside of your leg/s raw.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 AM  
Weanling Member

My saddle is the Circle Y extreme performance and I LOVE it, but I constantly keep a broom twisting my stirrups when I am not riding. I figure the more I can get the stirrups and fenders to stay turned in the better! I am good at a walk becuase I can take my feet out of the stirrups and let them dangle, especially if my filly is having a relaxed day and the canter is not bad either becuase I set back in my saddle and throw my legs out so my knees are not bent. Now the trot is where all the pain sets in, the posting kills me!!!! My filly is 2 and still in training mode so trotting is key right now along with the firgure eights at a trot. We are having to work on speed control so its a lot of trotting only becuase she wants to canter all the time instead of walk/trot. All the up down is going to get to me and I need something to aid in the work/pressure I am putting on my knees.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM  
Kid Safe

I didn't have the same problem as you as i had subluxation of the Patella (kneecaps pop out of place) two surgeries later my knee problem is fixed.

BUT have they suggested a specific type of knee brace for you? I know that there are different types for different problems. I needed one with lots of kneecap support with a "horseshoe" I beieve it was called to help guide the kneecap so it wouldn't pop out.

Anywho, I always had the ugly one I got from the doc, but Professional's choice makes a really nice looking one....

http://www.profchoice.com/htmldocs/p...rd/pc309x.html
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 PM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
I didn't have the same problem as you as i had subluxation of the Patella (kneecaps pop out of place) two surgeries later my knee problem is fixed.
Goodness, not only do we have navicular performance horses in common but both my knee caps dislocate as well (had surgery on my left still need to fix the right)

Anyhow, I always found riding with a brace to be very uncomfortable (tried the ones the doctors gave me and the pro choice), but Wellgate makes a very nice women's knee brace that is very comfortable (I wear whenever my knee bothers me, never tried it for riding tho) but if you have plus size legs it may not fit you. You can buy it at walmart for less than $20 and if it don't work for you, just return it

http://www.amazon.com/Wellgate-Women.../dp/B000GHL62I
Love My Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 PM  
Long Yearling

just thought i would suggest that you dont HAVE to post... it sometimes is a little hard NOT to after you do it... but if you sit to the trot you should take a lot of the weight off ur knees not all of it as you still use your knee quite a bit to ride and all but i think if u sat to the trot it would be a little easier on you. sitting to a trot can be a little hard if your horse is a bumpy one but if you keep looking for your horses rhythem it should get easier! as for a knee brace... i think they would be uncomfy to ride in as most of them are made for walking... you could however try an ace bandage.... but dont make it too tight or it will for one.. not help lol... and for 2 make you very itchy! lol if you get one they usually come with instructions on how to wrap a variety of body parts! i hope i helped some...

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment