Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 AM  
Halter broke

Dakota saddles - any one?

My boyfriend just told me that he's going to get me a saddle for Christmas. I'm elated!

I am always on the hunt for something...etc, so I have been eyeballing the Dakota Arabian saddles (I have Arabs).

Does anyone have any experiance with them? The good, bad, ugly please!!!
Idelle Mirijan, 2011 gr AHA
Hondo, 2011 bksn Sec A Welsh Pony
IdelleArab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 AM  
Weanling Member

Dokata make a great Saddle.

Before becoming a dealer for them, I did a lot of research on them.

I found a Barrel Racing Club in our Area that had been giving them out as yearly prizes for over 12 years, so I was able to talk to the people that had Dakota Saddles and used them very hard in Barrel Racing, probably looked at 35 Saddles and talked to over 30 people.

Dakota Saddles hold up well and I did not find anyone that had a harsh word to say about them!

Many of the people I talked to several years ago also had purchased Trails Saddles and Roping Saddles made by Dakota.

I think you will be very pleased with a Dakota Saddle

Last edited by SouthernTrailsGA : 12-24-2009 at 07:17 AM.
SouthernTrailsGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:19 AM  
Long Yearling

I don't know about the Arabian saddles, but I've had a Dakota roping saddle for going on 12 years. It's been through everything, including starting several colts. I've never had a problem with it. I can oil it and it will look almost brand new. I would recommend this saddle to anyone. I will never get rid of this saddle and I know it will hold up MANY more years to come. I was also going to say the leather is of VERY good quality. Very thick and supple.

Samba - 2009 grey Andalusian gelding
Flint - 2012 bay Friesian/Arabian gelding
boo_loves_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 AM  
Long Yearling

Here is a website that I like. I have bought a used saddle from them and they are just great. This page is 'Signs of a low quality saddle' and at the bottom is a little bit about explaining why Dakota's are cheaper, but not low quality.
http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/high-...ifference.html

Samba - 2009 grey Andalusian gelding
Flint - 2012 bay Friesian/Arabian gelding
boo_loves_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 AM  
Long Yearling

I guess I am odd man out here this time..
I personally had one at the ranch here for a short time.. I liked the quality of the leather.. I like the quality of the craftmanship of the saddle. It was a trail/ barrel type saddle. with braided rawhide wraped horn, conchos strings etc.. the saddle was nice to look at and horrible to ride.. we tried it on a bunch of different horses with combinations of different pads and couldn't get it to fit anyhting.. tree was wide.. allways felt like I was sitting down hill.. looked that way to.. watch your tree mesaurements and hopefull you will be able to try the saddle out and return itif it doesn't feel right

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowhorseGal View Post
I guess I am odd man out here this time..
I personally had one at the ranch here for a short time.. I liked the quality of the leather.. I like the quality of the craftmanship of the saddle. It was a trail/ barrel type saddle. with braided rawhide wraped horn, conchos strings etc.. the saddle was nice to look at and horrible to ride.. we tried it on a bunch of different horses with combinations of different pads and couldn't get it to fit anyhting.. tree was wide.. allways felt like I was sitting down hill.. looked that way to.. watch your tree mesaurements and hopefull you will be able to try the saddle out and return itif it doesn't feel right
Good point on fit, you may have had one of the wide or x-wide trees in that Saddle.

I should have mentioned, as a Custom Maker Dakota has about 12 different Trees to build a Saddle on, even for an Arab they actually have three Trees that fit Arabs, an "Arab" Tree by any Company only fits 60-70% of Arabs, so choosing the proper tree is the most important thing.

Dakota has fit forms to send for testing on your Horse, I always suggest these or Templates to check before having them make a Saddle.

Here are some of Dakota Saddles, but not all

http://www.southerntrails.us/DakotaSaddlery.html

SouthernTrailsGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:18 AM  
Bombproof Member

Why not go the extra and get a Simco? If you do get the Dakota check it thoroughly before you get it near a horse. I've seen some with poor quality stirrup leathers, taken from a less desirable part of the hide. One had a thin edge and you want them 3/16" thick for strength so check both edges. If the horn is wrapped in rawhide, check that it's not paper thin as it won't last long. When you try a new saddle be sure to protect it with a sheet on top of the pad so it doesn't pick up hair or dirt. Wrap the stirrups with plastic wrap and be careful that your soles don't have any grit. Use your cinch leathers and cinch so as not to dirty those that came with the saddle. Some outfits won't take a return if the saddle looks less than when you received it. Ride in it for about 20 min. You'll know if it works or not for you and the horse.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:59 AM  
Halter broke

Dakota vs. Simco?

Thank you for all the information. I have read reviews on these saddles and haven't seen anything that was horrid. Of course, we all have our personal preferences, so some people may just not like the saddle.

This is the one I've been drooling over:
http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/arabi...se-saddle.html

I seem to fit comfortably in a 15 inch seat, but because it's an "arabian" saddle, does anyone think that I may be better off getting a 15 1/2 inch? I also have a 16 inch saddle - I swim in (I think it's a no-name roping saddle), but it fits my Paint mare really well (and the BF).

I do like the Simco, but think I would be pushing my luck with that one ($$). From what I can tell, Dakota saddles are about the same quality with a much more appealing price tag.

simco:
http://www.horse.com/Simco-Arabian-W...dle-WKS94.html
Idelle Mirijan, 2011 gr AHA
Hondo, 2011 bksn Sec A Welsh Pony
IdelleArab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM  
Started

I bought a Simco saddle back in the eighties, and when our son outgrew it I sold it. I looked at a Simco saddle in our local feed store's tack section recently, and was very disappointed with the quality. I know they went through some restructure-reorganization in recent years, as have most saddle makers. Today's Simco is not what that one of twentyfive years ago was.

When I go to Tennessee, I ride a Dakota saddle (17", hard seat, roper) that my friend up there bought for his son and me to use. I have found it to be a good fit on a variety of horses. I rode three different ones the last time I was there and it worked well on all of them. And it was comfortable for me. The leather and craftsmanship actually appeared to me to be better than the Simco I looked at the other day.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 AM  
Seasoned

I bought two Dakota roping saddles years back, when I wanted to try my hand at that....very nice saddles. I like everything about them except that mine were 40 + pounds and I began to have issues that I could not lift them so often anymore... I resold one and still have the other. If they weren't roping saddles, they probably wouldn't weigh so much. I think they are worth looking at.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:17 AM  
Long Yearling

I have had too Dakotas and loved both of them! Definately go for the heavy oiling when you get it, saves hours and hours of breaking in. I got the forms to fit my arab who is wide and flat and it turned out the walking horse tree fit her the best and we went with a evo flex tree i think (it is the one with a solid pommel and cantle and flex bars.) To accomodate her flat back. She moves awesome in it and seems happy riding in it!

Against the grain should be a way of life
Don't take the free ride in your own life
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 AM  
Long Yearling

oh yeah and mine weighs 32 or 35 lbs I can't remember, not too heavy though. I went through www.culturedcowboy.com

Against the grain should be a way of life
Don't take the free ride in your own life
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM  
Newborn Member

Dakota Saddle...

I just got my custom ordered Dakota Reiner. I had it built with and extra wide gullet for two of my wide backed reiner prospects.
The saddle took about 2 1/2 months to build. It is not an extra wide, it fits like a narrow semi quarter horse gullet. The "reiner" cantle is as high as a team roper and equally steep, so it traps one's pelvis during stops and roll backs.

I called the company and the lady said, That's the way it was ordered. When I asked what it would cost to get the cantle changed and corrected, she said Talk to the dealer. Real helpful... NOT.

It's probably my biggest waste of money since.... I don't know when.
olegreycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment