Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 07:54 PM  
Weanling Member

Brown or black english saddle? How bout this one?

I told hubby I wanted a new english saddle for xmas. I cant decide if I want a black one or a brown one. I normally ride western but I love to ride english as well. Which one would you get?

this is the horse that has to wear it

This is the english set I want. http://www.horse.com/English-Starter-Set-EKA30.html

What do you think?

Last edited by HeatherSarah3 : 11-16-2009 at 09:29 PM.
HeatherSarah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:57 PM  
Weanling Member

Im sorry I didnt mean to post it twice. Can you delet one please
Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM  
Pasture Pet

If you go with a low end saddle like that, then I would go with brown. the black likely would be more or less painted on, and will wear off to leave an ugly grey patch.

I think though, that if you want to enjoy the saddle, that you should look for something of better quality. This one is likley made in India and I doubt it has a well made tree. May be ok for light use if you store it well though.

Karen
EquineAlberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:16 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to AnChap
I think black would look better on your horse IMO.

I bought a saddle very similar when I got my first english and it was really uncomfortable and wore out really quickly. I was on a really tight budget so I had to save up and I just bought a Wintec. You can get them for just a little more and they are very nice and last forever--my opinion but I know a lot agree. Or you can find a used leather and then used accessories. Of course I don't know your budget, I'm sure you can get whatever you want. That's just my 2 cents from my experience, I wish I'd have saved my money and not bought my first saddle.

Any way you go though, it sounds like you want to have some fun with the english, I'm the same way, I switch back and forth all the time. you have a super cute horse and I think he/she will look great in whatever you get!

Last edited by AnChap : 11-14-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: misspell
AnChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 PM  
Kid Safe

While I prefer the black also, I discovered that it was very difficult to find a black bridle (I was looking at a tack swap). Soooo it might be easier to find coordinating gear to go with brown. Just a thought. Along the lines of quality, I think you could do much better looking for a better quality used one that would be more comfortable and last longer.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:15 PM  
Started

ditto on passing on that set. They are not quality products and will be uncomfortable for you and your horse. I second spending just a little more and getting a Wintec or some other name brand used saddle.
kshnooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 AM  
Pasture Pet

If you are not going to show English, just go with your preference, but in general, dressage saddles are black and hunter/jumper saddles are brown. It might help for resale to go with the "standard" color.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 AM  
Yearling Member

I love my wintecs I have one in both colours. They wear extremely well and you don't have to be so concerned with changes in humidity and temperature.

SilverLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 PM  
Long Yearling

I agree that finding a black bridle is really not easy. I think you would be very happy with a Wintec, they are inexpensive and pretty comfortable. My Western horse was not bothered at all when I was using one on her. I would also spring for a decent saddle pad as well just because the English saddles can be hard on their backs.

Happy to follow Dutchess to the end of the world and back!
michlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:26 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks for the help everybody. Although I am a little disappointed that I wont be getting an english saddle as soon as I thought since I have decided to go with a wintec Im a little bummed, but not as bummed as I would be if I got the cheap saddle and it broke or worse hurt my horse So thank you to all you smart people who talk sence into impulsive people like me If anyone sees a smokin deal on a wintec will you please let me know? Thanks again!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 PM  
Weanling Member

So what do you think of this one? I emailed asking for brand. Its probably not name brand as its only $100.
http://www.horsetopia.com/for-sale/l...addles/l324786
Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 PM  
Pasture Pet

I have a saddle that looks like the same brand and was also quite cheap. I have been using it in lessons for about 2 years. It is quite comfy, but it does squeek, and the flaps are already showing wear...I'd give it another year before the flap will be too worn. The stirrup bars are quite recessed so it can be hard to ajust the stirrup length when mounted. On the plus side the tree has held up very well, and it is easy to adjust. I also like the look of it.

Not as good quality as a Wintec, but I think it is an ok value for light use. (providing it is the same brand)

Edited to add: 16.5 inch saddle with a deep seat is fairly small. You can likely find the same saddle new on ebay, for not much more, and a more suitable size. I think I got mine (an 18" AP) from Equiteric.

Karen

Last edited by EquineAlberta : 11-16-2009 at 11:02 PM.
EquineAlberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:25 AM  
Kid Safe

IDK - I have an old Silver Fox saddle, that was bought at about the same price, and looks like it's the same as that one... (it's brown, but I wish it was black... unless EquineAlberta is right about the black being painted.)

My Grandma bought it when I was 15... and it's now 17ish years old. Initially I rode that thing daily, crashed through woods, jumped logs, rode for hours... I put it to work for a couple of years with an average build Appy, as well as a smaller build Arab.

Mind you, after our Arab passed away, it sat for 8 plus years in the shed, while we were horseless... (In the mean time, I got married, had kids and no time for horses, so it was never looked at, let alone oiled or cared properly for.)

But it's still perfectly useable, not too uncomfortable to sit, and short of the foam under the suede in the knees going bad and replacing the stirrup leathers, the saddle itself is in great shape. After a good oiling, you'd never know it was that old... and my kids ride it to this day.

I've actually looked at that exact same package every time my horse.com catalog shows up in the mail, and wouldn't be disappointed if my hubby had it under the tree this year.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 AM  
Pasture Pet

I have a black synthetic saddle for sale if you are interested, and it should fit your horse, 17 inch seat. pm if you want more info and pictures. thanks
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post

Edited to add: 16.5 inch saddle with a deep seat is fairly small. You can likely find the same saddle new on ebay, for not much more, and a more suitable size. I think I got mine (an 18" AP) from Equiteric.

Karen
Hey I just bought Classy a saddle off ebay! I also bought it from Equiteric and they are based in CA. I got a brand new, black jumping saddle package, 18" for less than $200 and I love it

*~ TVR'S Classified Elegance *~
*~ TVR'S Classical Charm *~
*~ TVR'S Picassiette *~
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM  
Bombproof Member

HeatherSarah3, Unless you are built like a stick with no bum, a 16,1/2 is probably too small. I'd advise you to go to a tack shop and sit in a few. When your pelvis is in the deepest part there should be 4" between your butt and the edge of the cantle. You'll want to be sure the flaps are long enough and by that that you wouldn't be pinched if you wore high boots. When you've done this, let us know what size you need. Also the saddle in the pic appears a little wide, that when mounted the pommel would drop onto the withers. An english saddle should fit fairly well without any padding. Be careful of what you buy as your life depends on the saddle not falling apart. On cheap saddles corners have been cut on quality, it's not just about cheap labor.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 AM  
Bombproof Member

Serenity, I do hope you don't plan on doing any jumping in that saddle. If you paid $200 from Equiteric, who imports from China, they paid less than $100. What does that tell you about quality. When a horse jumps it puts considerable strain on a saddle and you don't need something breaking. It never happens when you wouldn't get hurt.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 PM  
Weanling Member

Ok looks like I have some more research to do!

Last edited by HeatherSarah3 : 11-18-2009 at 09:10 PM.
HeatherSarah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM  
Yearling Member

I would recommend that you keep your eye on all the used tack websites and try to purchase the best leather saddle that you can afford. There are some good discussions here on HT about the most preferred brand of saddles - pull some of those brand names and search for them used. This fall should be a great time to buy.
Tobiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM  
Halter broke

Your horse has the coloring to wear either dark brown or black. Lucky you! Altho brown english bridles & girths are easier to find than black, I wouldn't rule it out.

Wintecs are good saddles. Or I would look for a used name brand like Stubben, Passier, Crosby. Just be sure the tree is sound & straight, no rips in the leather and the panels aren't rock hard. If the name brand saddle doesn't work out, the resale is much better than off brand.

And I wouldn't waste your money on the starter packages.
RockHorseRanch is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment