Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM  
Halter broke

saddle help...haflinger

would a FQHB saddle fit a Haflinger? I dont know what exactly to look for as far as a wide saddle would go...
Thanks
bakinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to AnChap
It depends, it seems to vary so much. Are you looking for Western or English? I just bought a Wintec Wide and it is great! It is English, but it's so wide and has changeable gullets so you can make it even wider as you need it. It is wider than the full QH bars, I'm nearly certain, but I could be wrong
AnChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 AM  
Seasoned

My friend had a halflinger arab cross that took most all characteristics of the halflinger rather then arab and had to have a custom saddle made to fit him. She has since sold him and has the saddle for sale (western), if you are interested, I could pm you her email, pm me if interested. But, otherwise, you may want to check into tracing his measurements and having one custom made, if you have trouble getting a good fit.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 AM  
Newborn Member

The is a saddle called the Big Horn Haflinger saddle. Haflingers are not just wide, they are also flat-backed. There are probably other specialty Haflinger saddles around also, you should do a Google search.
maureen211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM  
Coming two

Snipped.

Last edited by Drafty : 12-29-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Drafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM  
Yearling Member

I am still on the hunt for a saddle for my wide and short backed Gypsy Vanner colt. I have found some very useful tools and information on this website:

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddlefit.html

I can't vouch for their service as all the saddles that seem like good possibilities are very pricey and they charge a hefty re-stocking fee if we find the saddle does not fit. I wish I could find a custom saddle maker in my area.

I was also considering the Bates/Wintec with the adjustable gullet and CAIR system.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 PM  
Halter broke

thanks for all the input, and oh yeah, western definetely.
bakinthesaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM  
Weanling Member

Some Haflingers can use FQH Bars, maybe 30%.

Most use one size up from a FQH Bar, and a few need a full draft bar.

A tracing and some pics can be useful and there are also templates available to check for fit.

SouthernTrailsGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM  
Coming two

Snipped.

Last edited by Drafty : 12-29-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Drafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 AM  
Kid Safe

Good input from all. I have 3 Haffies of various sizes, and all can be ridden comfortably with the Big Horn Haflinger saddle. I think some places are not too bad for restocking. I have the cordura and another Haffie friend with a 15 hand Haflinger bought the leather Big Horn Haffie saddle and is very satisfied as well. Like was stated, the withers issue is only 1/2 of the problem.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:14 AM  
Long Yearling

My husband has a haflinger. I bought a used Big Horn saddle made for haflingers and what a deal it was. Something finally fit that "I will get fat if I just look at food horse"

He really likes the saddle: it is comfortable for him, fits the horse well and they both enjoy the ride.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:01 PM  
Started

Each haflinger is different. Some of the modern lines can actually wear a more regular tree while some of the old style would never even fit in a FQHB saddle and there is a whole range in between. Not only are they wide and flat like some have pointed out, many are mutton withered and short-backed as well. Sometimes you just can't fit any type of traditional western saddle on them because it goes too far into the loin area.

I highly recommend looking at treeless saddles. Ever since I got one for my haflingers life has been so much better.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:52 PM  
Weanling Member

I am glad someone posted this. I have four haflingers with different backs and a 15 plus hand mule. I am thinking that she bugged out because my saddle pinched her when I rode her. My husband ended up making an emergency dismount when he tried to ride her, I thought at first it was because I rode her away from the herd. But he got on and she hopped, bucked, reared and ran. My son rode a horse she pastured with so it wasn't herd sour....I wonder if a treeless would work for her as well as the others. They are 14+hh.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 AM  
Weanling Member

Some have mentioned treeless Saddles, actually there is not a one size fit all with treeless either. Most treeless Saddles also require special pads, like the Skito or Thinline for proper fit.

Good Brands are Barefoot, Bob Marshall and Freeform.

I would stay away from a Hilason at all costs.

SouthernTrailsGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment