Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM  
Coming two

What kind of pad should I use?

I have been looking for a new pad for Whisper. I have thought about just getting a 100% wool cut back pad like I have had before. I really like them. But the more I look at him and from what everyone seems to tell me is Whisper has a bit of a sway to his back. Sometimes its worse than others. But I can tell if I ride him with a regular pad the saddle drifts backwards and I never seem to get it tight enough so the saddle wont roll. The saddle fits him well when I first put it on. I have had several people check it. But after a few minutes it drifts.

Here is a picture of him after the ride yesterday. Dont mind how rough he looks this was before I brushed him out lol.

Here is one from about a week ago.

So I have looked at sway back pads but I wondered if the built up pads would build up the saddle too much. I cant really afford to buy a bunch of pads and do trial and error.

Also, just a side note but does he look too fat to you guys? The two girls I was riding with yesterday just kept saying over and over "Hes so fat!" then one said he was close to foundering...I thought he looked about perfect. So if he is overly fat someone please tell me. I dont want him to founder or start having problems.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:05 PM  
Pasture Pet

I'm no expert, but I don't think he has a sway back nor do I think he's so fat he's close to foundering. In fact if one of those girls said it was 10AM I'd be inclined to look up at the sun and see where it sits in the sky.

That being said, it could be that he has a high withers and that the saddle is going to fit a bit back from what you might ordinarily thing it "should". I once was shown where the saddle was supposed to fit and it was further back than I thought Maybe the saddle is moving to a better position?

Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will give you some feedback soon
Old 05-17-2009, 04:08 PM  
Pasture Pet

I agree with Joanie, I don't think he looks swaybacked, it looks like he has a long back and needs some muscle built up on his topline. I would get a no-slip pad of some sort to help keep the saddle in place.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:15 PM  
Weanling Member

I have had some of the same problems with my 4 yr old. epesially when he is in a growth spert. I have looked and am looking into one of the barrel pads with the extra padding in the shoulder area. that looks about where you might need it to but i am not totally sure thats JMO.... just an idea...what sucks is that they are like $130 so if you buy one it needs to be the one you need. Hope you find what you need.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter'sGirl View Post
what sucks is that they are like $130 so if you buy one it needs to be the one you need.
Exactly! Thats why I was hoping you guys could help me lol.

Carri, do you mean like the tacky too pads? Im not a big fan of them. They seem to rub the hair off and be really uncomfortable. Thats just my experience though.

Version, you may be right about it moving to a better position but if thats the case shouldnt the saddle fit better and not roll? I got off to tighten my cinch at least twice and every time I would get back on it would roll like the cinch wasnt even tight at all. It was so frustrating lol.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:41 PM  
Pasture Pet

Stephanie, I am not sure. I ride English, we have a gel pad that is also a no-slip pad, but I am not familiar with any western pads so I am not help there, sorry!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:10 PM  
Pasture Pet

What I meant was, is the saddle moving to its "correct" position? I'm looking at your horse again and I'm thinking it would be a good idea if we had a picture of where exactly you put the saddle and then a picture of where it ends up, it may be okay where it ends up?

I'm not all that great at getting the cinch tight the first three times myself so I am by no means an expert on getting it tight. But then I don't mind as I do most everything in increments The horse could be bloating himself up too, so by tightening it up in increments you eventually get it tight enough.

I've used a pad that is kind of a plasticy/rubber waffle weave stuff that seems to keep the felt pad from slipping. That felt pad was terrible for moving around, maybe that's the problem? Since I went with a wool blanket, it doesn't move as much.

Some cinches are slipperier than others?? I've used felt, fleece, plastic-waffle and now I'm going back to the string Who knows. I'm trying to get better at bareback
Old 05-17-2009, 06:43 PM  
Coming two

Well I use one of those smart cinches with the waffled neoprene. Every time I got off to tighten my cinch it was as tight as it would go. I thought he was bloating too so I would tighten it, walk him, then try it again but I dont think thats the problem. It seemed pretty tight every time.

Here is a picture of him from the other day. I was using the pads that are on him in this picture yesterday too. This was after I had been riding him for about a half hour. When I saddle him the saddle is farther forward on his withers.

Sorry I looked for pictures of him saddled before the ride but I dont have any yet. I hope the one I posted will give you an idea where the saddle ends up though.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM  
Long Yearling

From the picture you posted it looks as if something needs to be done. It appears the saddle is almost touching his withers.
Edited to add: I know I have commented on the saddle before. Do you have a picture of the front of the saddle sitting on the horse? You are going to find a lot of your problems of slippage can be resolved if you find the right saddle and pad combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanieLeann14 View Post
Well I use one of those smart cinches with the waffled neoprene. Every time I got off to tighten my cinch it was as tight as it would go. I thought he was bloating too so I would tighten it, walk him, then try it again but I dont think thats the problem. It seemed pretty tight every time.

Here is a picture of him from the other day. I was using the pads that are on him in this picture yesterday too. This was after I had been riding him for about a half hour. When I saddle him the saddle is farther forward on his withers.

Sorry I looked for pictures of him saddled before the ride but I dont have any yet. I hope the one I posted will give you an idea where the saddle ends up though.

Last edited by WickedNag : 05-17-2009 at 06:59 PM.
WickedNag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 PM  
Coming two

Well unfortunately a different saddle isn't really an option so if the pad doesn't fix the problem I may just be sunk. I dont have any pictures like that but I can try to get some next time I ride which may be tomorrow. Im not sure though so bare with me!

I know I have asked different people about the saddle fit before I rode and they all said it seemed to fit him really well. They were experienced horse people too. I asked his previous owners, a trainer, and a friend. So thats what makes me think a cut back built up pad might really help my problem. But I dont know that for sure so thats why I ask everyone on here.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I think if you got a good quality wool (100%, not synthetic) cutback contoured pad it would make a huge difference.

I don't have any rolling problems with any of my horses, even tubby ole' Reno. Plus the cutout part will likely give him the wither clearance he needs to keep the saddle from sitting on his withers.

The contour shape of the pad helps it to stay centered on the horse and not slide with gravity like a solid one piece pad can.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 PM  
Long Yearling

It almost looks like your saddle might be too wide....i.e.....full QH bars vs. semi. JMO.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 PM  
Halter broke

I'd say after doing saddle pad research that 100% quality wool is the ONLY way to go for the horses sake! Also, try to make sure you have at least two fingers of clearance between the withers and the saddle. Best of luck!
LoveSUNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanieLeann14 View Post
Well unfortunately a different saddle isn't really an option so if the pad doesn't fix the problem I may just be sunk. I dont have any pictures like that but I can try to get some next time I ride which may be tomorrow. Im not sure though so bare with me!

I know I have asked different people about the saddle fit before I rode and they all said it seemed to fit him really well. They were experienced horse people too. I asked his previous owners, a trainer, and a friend. So thats what makes me think a cut back built up pad might really help my problem. But I dont know that for sure so thats why I ask everyone on here.
I am not fond of cut back pads but do understand the need for a built up pad.
It is hard for me to find a saddle without going to get a custom made one, for my high withered horse, so I started looking for a saddle pad.

Anyway this is the pad I bought and I love it! The Biofit Correction Pad from Classic Equine. Look around and you can find them cheaper too. I bought mine used for $90
http://www.bitnspurtack.com/bicopadbcleq.html
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 AM  
Kid Safe

I don't have advice. But I feel your pain. I have a horse that no matter what I do the saddle slips. I have tried 2 different sized trees, several types of risers and nothing.... He has tall withers and a little bit of a sway back. Now, these are english saddles. My western saddle fits him much better and barely slips, go figure. Good luck!
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLVR View Post
It almost looks like your saddle might be too wide....i.e.....full QH bars vs. semi. JMO.
I agree which would make it sit on the withers which from the pictures I have seen seems to be the problem.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 AM  
Pasture Pet

Like the others said, I figure a real wool blanket would work better than a felt pad and they're cheaper than a new saddle

But I'm going to defer to Beth55051 on this one and as this suggestion and see what she sez; I think the picture shows the saddle too far up on the withers but the cinch in the correct distance from the elbow giving enough space for movement (although Stefanie, you'll want to check that yourself) but I think the back is long enough that this saddle could sit further back and then adjust the cinch attachment so that the cinch isn't too much further back. I don't know off the top of my head where to find those cinch adjusters but I know they are out there.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 AM  
Long Yearling

Here is a great site for saddle fitting.
http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddl...ing-guide.html
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 AM  
Coming two

If the saddle is too wide a built up pad will help correct that wouldnt it? I have been wanting to get a wool pad for him like this one...

http://www.smithbrothers.com/product...cd2=1242654938

I had one for Memphis and it really worked well for him. But with this issue I didnt know if that would quite cut it or if I needed to get a pad that is built up too. So would the biofit pad be better since it is built up behind the shoulder?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 AM  
Long Yearling

What I would do is find someone who has a built up pad you can try and than see how much better your saddle fits. I love my biofit pad but you may find another one you like or works better for you. I personally don't care for the cutbacks... seen to many people who can't get them positioned right wish you were close enough to try mine.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment