Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 AM  
Started

Nibble Net?

Anyone have them? Thoughts? Quality, and do they really cut down on wasted hay? Pricey for a hay net, but they look like they might be worth it, but would like first had knowledge of them.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 AM  
Seasoned

I saw that to and wonder the same thing. My only concern would be that my horses would rip the net part off when they couldn't get the hay out fast enough.

I also wonder how that grazer thing works?

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM  
Started

the nibble net web site said they suggested you pay for the extra hooks on the bottom of the bag to hold the bottom down - and I thought that might be worth the extra $, since I thought my guys would be pulling pretty hard to get the hay. Again, worth it if it works they way they say it does, not worth it if the horses tear it apart in one sitting.

Is the grazer the tub thing with the PVC pipes and the plastic thing that looks like the plastic that holds pop cans together?
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:18 AM  
Weanling Member

Problem solved...
10 yr old German Shepherd "Rocky", and
7 yr old Ragdoll "Princeton"

Last edited by dustyangel24 : 02-27-2009 at 09:56 PM.
dustyangel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:47 AM  
Weanling Member

I have a small hole hay net and am always looking for a way to save hay and slow down there feeding as we dont have pasture here is arizona and I like them to be busy. I found this site and want to make some of the box feeders with the grates on top . I think these would work well. Look around on this site and theres some good info.

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/page/Slow+Feeders
azhorselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 PM  
Halter broke

I ended up getting my idea from the Swedish Hoof School
http://swedishhoofschool.com/feeders.htm
Scroll down for pics. You can click on some of the pics for descriptions.

I feed round bales, and I bougt netting used at baseball diamonds to wrap the bale. Like an XL haybag. It took them time to get used to it, but it works great. No wastage, and works well at slowing them down.

I googled nylon nets and my city and found a place 15 minutes from me. A six foot by 10 foot net was only $21.00 (canadian)

There arelots of ideas on the website.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 PM  
Bombproof Member

Regular hay nets work well if tied up properly. When the net is as full as required, take the long loop and run it down thro the ring on the bottom. Pull the loop as tight as you can then run it back up to the now tight hole at the top and tighten again, then hang it high. Done this way the net won't hang to the floor when empty, and because it's so tight, it really slows down on how much can be pulled out. If the horse gets aggressive the net will bounce around like a ball.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyOTTBs View Post
I ended up getting my idea from the Swedish Hoof School
http://swedishhoofschool.com/feeders.htm
Scroll down for pics. You can click on some of the pics for descriptions.
I love some of the nets they sell on the website!!! Wonder if there is a place in the states that sells them???
10 yr old German Shepherd "Rocky", and
7 yr old Ragdoll "Princeton"
dustyangel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Pikkens View Post
Regular hay nets work well if tied up properly. When the net is as full as required, take the long loop and run it down thro the ring on the bottom. Pull the loop as tight as you can then run it back up to the now tight hole at the top and tighten again, then hang it high. Done this way the net won't hang to the floor when empty, and because it's so tight, it really slows down on how much can be pulled out. If the horse gets aggressive the net will bounce around like a ball.

Oh Oh I love this idea thank you!!
azhorselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM  
Newborn Member

NibbleNets

I own 5 Nibblenets, 3 of the 4" models in sunbrella and 2 - 5" in the vinyl, I bought my first 2 in September 2008, 2 more in October and then 1 in December.
These are awesome! My horses love them, they take their time eating their hay and there is very little wasted hay since I started using them. One of my horses is young and playful and he has not managed to damage one yet, even though he did get them off the fence a couple times before I started tying the bottoms down securely.
These nets come with a 30 day warranty, it won't cover it if the horse actually destroyed the thing, but it does cover material and manufacturing defects. Nothing is totally horseproof, but these come close and are the best made and safest hay nets I have ever used in 43 years of horse ownership.

Dusty, did you contact the seller or manufacturer of the hay net? If you didn't then you should do that before leaving negative remarks on an open blog.
Gypsymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM  
Newborn Member

Nibble Nets

I've been using Nibble Nets for about 6 months now. They are holding up very well, and I have 4 horses on 24/7 turnout that eat from them 24/7. It must have been a fluke with the person who had trouble with them. Did you contact the company and talk to them about it? They have been fantastic for me to deal with, I would be very surprised if they didn't try to rectify the situation.

I keep mine clipped on all 4 corners, and I made "feeding platforms" out of pallets cut in half with a piece of plywood screwed to the top. I put eye bolts in the 4 corners and snap the net down to the platform. This way my horses eat with their heads down all the time, and it slows down their eating substantially. I used to feed them between 4-6x/day to make sure they had hay in front of them all the time ,but didn't turn into equine beachballs. Now I only feed them 2x/day, and they are never acting hungry. There is hardly any waste at all, and no more using the hay pile for a restroom.

Michelle
http://www.chestnuthilldesigns.com/
http://www.shellyct.blogspot.com
Shellyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 PM  
Newborn Member

Thumbs down Slow Feed Hay Nets

I purchased 3 small nets from the Swedish Hoof School. They did help with waste and slow down their consumption however the nets are not durable. All three horses had a hole in the net within a couple of days. When I contacted the Swedish Hoof School regarding replacement they refused and indicated that my horses must be suffering from ulcers as a result of starvation and would probably tear hay nets of any kind.

Keep in mind they have not had health issues or diagnosed with ulcers. The hay nets are not very strong or durable. Look for one that will last at $50.00 a piece.

Last edited by CyndiC : 12-27-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
CyndiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 PM  
Yearling Member

Cinch Chix

I have not used these nets, but I've heard they work!

http://cinchchix.com/meet-the-chix.html
green.willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 AM  
Halter broke

We have had our Nibble Net for about a month now. It is totally awesome.

We bought it to slow our boy down....he is such a glutton. It is hung in his stall and he is none too gentle with it. It is in excellent shape, nothing ripped. Nothing damaged. We have the bottom hooks also. We use baleing twine to secure them. It is high enough, but I worry if he would roll in his stall and get a foot caught. He never has, but you never know with horses.

I reccommend them 100%. Ours is the envy of the barn!
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment