Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 05:44 PM  
Kid Safe

Chick's Saddlery??

Has anyone ordered from Chick's Saddlery?

I ordered a headstall and curb strap from them on October 16, 2008 - almost three months ago. I've called twice and each time was told the curb strap is in stock, but they are waiting for the headstall.

My CC has not been charged so that's not a problem, I'm not in a huge hurry for the items, but would like them by spring (April). I have not cancelled the order because I like the headstall a lot, and have been unable to find one like it elsewhere.

Has anyone dealt with this company, and is this problem common?

Thanks.

www.peacehavenfarm.com
ahlihaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 PM  
Halter broke

I just ordered a cozy helmet cover so I will let you know. My friend has ordered from them before without problem but you sure have waited a long time. I would be tempted to cxl the order and get it from somewhere else. Good luck.
skippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Weird I have used Chicks several times and always got my items promptly. Cant say Ive ever been disappointed with them at all. But sheesh- 3 months is a long time to wait!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM  
Newborn Member

I have order stuff before from Chicks, got it quick.
HayburnerHeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM  
Weanling Member

Last year I ordered a leather halter bridle and some other stuff. Everything came fast except the halter bride, after about 2 months I cancelled the order it was on backorder forever. They still have it in their catalog. If its not out of stock or backorder you'll get it real fast.
beaner1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM  
Bombproof Member

Their main (and only) store that I know of, is about an hour and 15 minutes from my house.
I've bought stuff from the store before, over the years, but never off the computer, or internet.
They usually carry nice saddles, and if you go to the store, sometimes they let you shop in the warehouse part (which is actually their catologue store) in the back, separate from the actual store front.
I see more and more people on HT mentioning 'Chick's' all the time, so it's kinda funny to me, b/c they've been in business for years, but they have always seemed like a local business to me.
Good luck, RB
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM  
Weanling Member

i ordered a leather halter w/name plate and it took 2 1/2 months and it was very cheap qualty so now i only order name brands that i know from them.

The Victory Isn\'t Always To The Strong, Nor The Race To The Swift..... However, That Isn\'t A Bad Way To Be. D. Wane Lucas
northstar_paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

I am not a fan of Chicks, very poor quality stuff. After ordering a couple items and realizing the quality, I haven't gone back to them. I haven't ordered from them in a few years.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM  
Kid Safe

My neighbors have been ordering from Chick's for a few years now, and we often go in on orders together, I think I've been in on 3 orders now... Anyhow, we've been pretty pleased with the service, and prices. I guess like anything you order online, there are some poorer quality items, but you find that at tack stores as well, just when you see it up close and can get your hands on it, it's easier to tell . Chick's has some pretty darn high quality stuff as well

We're shipping stuff up to Canada and have been really happy with how quick it gets here. When an item is on back order, we go pick up up at the post office for no additional charge, and even the back order items haven't taken very long, but I agree, you've been waiting quite a while ...

So, dealt with them several times, on both small and large orders, and haven't found it to be a common problem (as of yet, knock on wood ).
Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to islander
i order from them frequently--only been out od stock once on a small item, have never had any issues
Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM  
Kid Safe

Thank you all for your input.

Think I'll look elsewhere for the headstall. If I find one I like, I'll cancel the order with Chick's.

www.peacehavenfarm.com
Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM  
Yearling Member

I order from them a lot. I like the things they have and I think the quality is good. I always get my things in a timely manner. And the prices are great. I would call them again and ask about your things.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM  
Kid Safe

Too bad I didn't know in October. I went up to congress and they have a huge store, they may have had one or two in stock up there.

I have never had a problem with them, but there is a first for everything...

I order from rods a lot and something is always put on backorder . I am still waiting on some stinking english spurs....

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
Too bad I didn't know in October. I went up to congress and they have a huge store, they may have had one or two in stock up there. That would have been great.

I have never had a problem with them, but there is a first for everything...

I order from rods a lot and something is always put on backorder . I am still waiting on some stinking english spurs....
I've ordered from Rod's too, but without any problems. Must be hit or miss.

www.peacehavenfarm.com
Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM  
Halter broke

Send a message via AIM to jesterjigger
I bought a blanket (2, actually, at Congress) from them and it is amazing quality for the price. Of course, it's 1200D, I wouldn't trust their 600D blankets, just like I wouldn't trust *any* company's 600D blanket. I find their 1200D to be tougher than Schneider's 1200D. I've never ordered from them online though, it's too bad that their customer service is so lacking. I could see them maybe losing the order during Congress but since you've followed up they should have been able to send it by now.
jesterjigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM  
Pasture Pet

I have not purchased from them in ages but when I did they would always take my order than sent parts of it, saying items were on back order.
The same with Stateline.
Now I buy local, if I need something.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment